Udyr, the Man of Many... Hats [Guide]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EvenAfter

01-15-2010

Udyr, the Man of ManyÖHats

Hello everyone. My ign is EvenAfter, and Iím here to discuss the amazingness that is Udyr! Whoo! The underappreciated Bearman. I am quite fond of him, hence I shall write this guide.

A few quick things before I get going. First of all, this is my first guide, so if you disagree, have suggestions, or anything of that kind, please let me know in a respectful manner, i.e. no flaming. Secondly, this is fairly long, as I will be talking about multiple builds and skill trees and things of that nature. Thirdly, I admit that I am not the best player in the world, though I am not the worst fo sho, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Lastly, should you wish to use this somewhere else, please ask my permission or give me credit. Thank you.

After some debate, I think Iím going to approach this guide as speaking to a fairly experienced LoL player who hasnít really played Udyr. If you feel some parts are unnecessary for you, feel free to skip ahead.

SKILLS:

Quick comment on the way Udyrís skills work: they arenít a one-hit sort of deal. There is one immediate effect (speed boost, one strong attack, aoe attack, shield), and then you ďrestĒ in that stance, where you gain the permanent effects. These will all be discussed.

All of the information contained within this section (barring my comments) has been lifted directly from LoLís website and is therefore subject to not being up to date. Basically, it might be a little off at times, but itís quite close.

Passive: Monkey's Agility - Entering a stance grants Udyr 15% attack speed and 4 % dodge for 5 seconds. This effect can stack.

Comments: I absolutely love this passive. 15% attack speed (AS) is nothing to scoff at, especially when stacked. Endgame, popping into Tiger Stance will likely grant you a 2.5 AS for 5 seconds, or at least close. Switching around can grant you that number on Phoenix and Turtle. Itís overall a great passive.

Tiger Stance: Activation - Udyr's next attack will deal a high amount of damage over 2 seconds (based on his attack damage). Persistent Effect - Udyr's attack speed is passively increased. In addition, Udyr splits his attacks into 3 lightning fast hits.
Activation: On his next attack, Udyr swipes at his target, dealing 1.5/1.75/2/2.25/2.5 times his attack damage over 2 seconds.
Persistent Effect: Udyr's attack speed is increased by 24/33/42/51/60%. In addition, Udyr splits his attacks into 3 lightning fast hits. On hit effects only trigger off the first hit.
Cooldown 6 seconds
Cost 75/65/55/45/35 Mana
Range 600

Comments: This is Udyrís bread-and-butter stance for one on one combat. The activation ability does a great deal of damage, especially with a dps build. It works a bit like poison in some respects. Itís great fun to back off and watch them die a second later. After that first move, you wind up with a ****ton of AS that lets you burn through foes with ease.
His resting ability has stirred some debate. It has been said because it splits his attacks into 3 separate attacks passives like Sionís (20% chance of blocking an attack) has extra chances to proc. I am not sure if this is the case; if someone could say so, that would be great.

Turtle Stance: Activation - Udyr gains a temporary shield that absorbs damage. Persistent Effect - Udyr's attacks cannot crit, but he restores his health and mana equivalent to a percentage of his damage dealt.
Activation: Udyr gains a temporary shield that absorbs 65/110/155/200/245 (+0.5) damage.
Persistent Effect: Udyr's attacks cannot crit, but he restores his health and mana equivalent to 12/14/16/18/20% of his damage dealt from basic attacks.
Cooldown 6 seconds
Cost 75/65/55/45/35 Mana
Range 600

Comments: Turtle Stance is another great ability that Udyr has lying around (in fact, heís just full of Ďem). The resting skill will let you stay in a lane early, which is extremely important as Udyr can be easily harassed early game.
The activation skill isnít the best, imo, but it can still definitely save your life. Generally, it can take a full tower hit, protect you from poison, or other little things. However, it will not stop a full-fledged gank if they really want you. It has its uses, though, so keep it in mind.

Bear Stance: Activation - Udyr gains a large movement speed increase for a short duration. Persistent Effect - Udyr's attacks stun his target for 1 second. This effect cannot occur on the same target for several seconds.
Activation: Udyr gains 15/18/21/24/27% increased movement speed for 2/2.5/3/3.5/4 seconds.
Persistent Effect: Udyr mauls his target with such force that they are stunned for 1 second. This effect cannot occur on the same target for 6 seconds.
Cooldown 6 seconds
Cost 75/65/55/45/35 Mana
Range 600

Comments: Arguably Udyrís best skill. The activation effect has so many uses, from chasing people down to escaping to running around the map quickly. The resting ability is fantastic. One second might not sound like a lot, but later in the game (and even early some times) it will grant you a lot of kills.

Phoenix Stance: Activation - Udyr sends out pulsing waves of fire dealing damage to nearby foes for 5 seconds and has increased ability power and damage. Persistent Effect - Every third attack, Udyr engulfs enemies in front him in flame.
Activation: Udyr sends out pulsing waves of fire dealing 15/25/35 (+0.25) magic damage each second to nearby enemies for 5 seconds. In addition, Udyr's ability power is increased by 24/36/48 and his attack damage is increased by half of that amount.
Persistent Effect: Every third attack, Udyr engulfs enemies in front of him in flame, dealing 40/80/120(+0.25) magic damage.
Cooldown 6 seconds
Cost 75/65/55/45/35 Mana
Range 600

Comments: Phoenix stance seems underappreciated to me. It can be quite powerful, and I even have a build dedicated to it. Itís a FANTASTIC farming tool at level 5, about the best in the game in some ways, and can be used effectively.
The activation skill isnít great, I admit. I rarely see it really do anything. You can chase with it active and it will do a little extra damage, but nothing to write home about. Weíll discuss this skill in more detail later.

Masteries/Runes

Iím really not gonna worry about this one. Do what you will, Udyr benefits from the majority of everything.

Builds

Okay. Time to talk builds. I have 3 of them, so weíll go through them one by one. Letís start withÖ

Tiger Stance/DPS build:

What this stance does well: You wanna go duke it out with your enemies in gank situations? This is your stance. Late game youíll burn through squishies like nothing, and even tanks will fall quickly if you get a good shot at them. Towers are also delicious for you.
What this stance isnít great at: Some people may disagree with this, but I donít see this as a great farming stance. You can kill minions quickly one by one, but it takes Ďtil late game to do that, and compared to Phoenixís aoe burst, it just doesnít match up. If you get some kills, though, this wonít be nearly as important.

Skill Tree:

1. Bear
2. Turtle
3. Turtle
4. Bear
5. Turtle
6. Bear
7. Tiger
8. Tiger
9. Tiger
10. Tiger
11. Tiger
12. Bear
13. Bear
14. Turtle
15. Turtle
16. Phoenix
17. Phoenix
18. Phoenix

Reasons: Why wait so long for Tiger stance? The answer is simple: you donít do enough damage early. Bear stance will hurt just as much, and Turtle is much more valuable early game. By the time you start picking up Tiger, you might be getting some attack items, so it will be more effective at that point.

Item Build (CAPS indicate final items):

1. Vampire Scepter (at start of game)
2. BERSERKER GREAVES
3. Dagger
4. Dagger
5. MALADY
6. B.F. Sword
7. Ruby
8. Long sword
9. Phage (Important!)
10. Zeal
11. Sheen
12. TRINITY FORCE
(At this point, the game may be moving in different directions. Use your discretion.)
13. BLOODTHIRSTER
14. B.F. Sword
15. BLACK CLEAVER
16. INFINITY EDGE (if you somehow get that far)

Reasons: Vamp Scept, combined with Turtle, makes you a pain in the arse to kill. You want Berserker Greaves to up your natural high AS with Tiger, plus you have Bear stance to chase, and the eventual speed boost from Trinity, so you shouldnít need faster boots. Next, Malady also gives you a nice AS boost. B.F. Sword as the next choice may cause some contention. Phage could easily be swapped there, if you want, but I wouldnít do any more moving around than that. I like B.F. Sword first because it gives a large attack boost (about 30% in my standard game), and you will suddenly be much more deadly. Phage! ZOMG PHAGE! Youíll have the time of your life chasing people around once you pick up this guy. Your high AS, plus that one second stun of Bear, almost guarantees a proc on this one, and people simply will not get away. Pretty awesome. Build up to Trinity off of Phage. I go Zeal first because, while Sheen is great, I just love the feeling of having massive AS so early. The rest of the build is pretty self-explanatory: straight-up damage. Get beat up a little bit? Grab that Bloodthirster, head to an open lane and BOOM, five seconds and you got full health.

Best Stats Iíve had with this build: 310 attack, 2.3 attack speed without passive proc in Tiger, ~2800 health, and a bunch of kills.

Phoenix Stance/AS Build:

What this stance does well: Farming. Wow. You will burn through minions like theyíre made ofÖfirewood. Really fast-burning firewood. After all, you are a Phoenix. You can easily wind up with 200+ minion kills.
What this stance isnít great at: DPS one-on-ones. This is not the Tiger build. Donít get me wrong, you can still kill quite well in this stance, I promise, but you probably have a better chance against Yi in the above build than this one.

Skill Tree:

1. Bear
2. Turtle
3. Turtle
4. Bear
5. Turtle
6. Bear
7. Phoenix
8. Phoenix
9. Phoenix
10. Phoenix
11. Phoenix
12. Bear
13. Bear
14. Turtle
15. Turtle
16. Tiger
17. Tiger
18. Tiger

Reasons: Early on, same reasons as above. Your early item builds are identical, so why not skills too? Turtle for life, Bear for escape and early ganks. Level 7 you begin your journey into neatoness with Phoenix, cracking skill level 5 at champ level 11.
Now, there is something to point out here. I maxed Turtle instead of Tiger. Why? Well, with an AS build, your Tiger will be running at a 2.5, but probably all the time, which is kind of a waste of your passive. Plus, Tigerís activation skill wonít hurt a whole lot unless the game really drags on. So, I prefer Turtle for great healing in open lanes. No more b-ing!

Item Build (CAPS are final items):

1. Vamp Scept (to start the game)
2. BERSERKER GREAVES
3. Dagger
4. Dagger
5. MALADY
6. Ruby
7. Long Sword
8. Phage
9. Zeal
10. Sheen
11. TRINITY FORCE
12. Zeal
13. Agility Cloak
14. Dagger
15. PHANTOM DANCER
16. Agility Cloak
17. B.F. Sword
18. Pickaxe
19. INFINITY EDGE
20. B.F. Sword
21. BLOODTHIRSTER

Reasons: Itís unlikely you will much past Phantom Dancer, but I threw the rest in there. You can see the massive AS thatís going on. The idea is to get Phoenix to proc as much as possible. It does more damage than many people realize. Phage is again important, even more so than with the DPS build. Youíre depending on hitting again and again, and when they are slowed that makes your job a whole lot easier. Once you crack Phantom Dancer you can start going for damage and crit. I prefer crit first, but thatís up to you. AS ftw!

Best Stats: I canít remember all of it, but I was critting for ~600 damage a little more than 2 times a second with passive, plus an extra 200 every third hit. Again, about 2800 health. Trust me, it works.

Tank/Support Build (Hypothetical! As in Iíve never used it, but want to):

What itís good at: Well, tanking. Whaddayaknow.
What itís not great at: Dealing super amounts of damage, a la the above builds.

Skill Tree:

1. Bear
2. Turtle
3. Turtle
4. Bear
5. Turtle
6. Bear
7. Turtle
8. Bear
9. Turtle
10. Bear
11. Phoenix
12. Phoenix
13. Phoenix
14. Phoenix
15. Phoenix
16. Tiger
17. Tiger
18. Tiger.

Reasons: Bear for escape and gank, turtle for surviving. Later in the game you will still likely be lacking in straight damage, so I would shoot for the guaranteed proc of the Phoenix. Plus, you want the farming ability to finish up your Warmogs that you will be picking up.

Item Build:

1. Regen Pendant
2. Giant Belt/Ruby
3. Ruby/Giant Belt
4. WARMOGS ARMOR
5. BERSERKER GREAVES
6. Ruby
7. Short Sword
8. Phage
9. Giant Belt
10. FROZEN HAMMER
Time to start stacking either armor or MR, depending on the game. Some great items are FROZEN HEART, GUARDIAN ANGEL, THORMAIL and FORCE OF NATURE.

Reasons: Health and armor. Need I say more? Frozen Hammer and Bear will make everyone hate you as you slow them while your team catches up, absorbing hits like they mean nothing. Pop a Turtle every once in a while to gain some health back during a free moment.

Please remember, this entire build is hypothetical and has not been tested. If anyone tries it or has done something like it before, I would love to hear about it.

TIPS AND TRICKS: (Work in ProgressÖ. If comments are made, I will gladly include the tips with full credit to the person who contributed.)

When running from multiple opponents, keep an eye on how long they stay. If one person over pursues, pop Bear, turn around and smack Ďem in the face. You can either keep running (if the time you saved was worth it), or start to wail on your enemy, at which point they often retreat.

Early game, if you get harassed to lower health and an enemy begins to tower dive, pop Bear, stun them in tower range, then pop Turtle and start attacking and regening on them. Add the tower + your damage + health regen, and youíll often come away with a kill if they arenít fully prepared or donít retreat.

When playing as Phoenix/AS build, donít pop your Phoenix until its level 4 or 5. The enemy doesnít know what you got (Tiger or Phoenix), and may think you a noob. All of a sudden, pop it on a low-ish health champ, and with your passive's AS boost and possible Phage, youíll do some major damage even without early attack items.

If you are blinded by Teemo or Heimdinger, pop into Tiger. Your first attack will still miss, but the two following will hit.

Thank you for reading. Good luck out there, and have fun!