New to Karthus - Items?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BroBama99

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-26-2011

I'm thinking of getting Karthus and playing him whenever he isn't banned in ranked >.<
So in terms of items, I'd like some quick opinions about the various AP items he can get.

1) Archangels
The popular Archangel's gives him lots of mana and spammability, but I feel Karthus is squishy as he is.
2) RoA
Compared to Archangel's it's less offensive, but gives Karthus some survivability.
3) Rylai's
Is the slow as imba as it seems? Lay Waste and Defile = Permaslow? As well it gives some nice HP
4) Any other viable items?
Eg. Will of the Ancients?

(Also, does defile take priority over Wall of Pain? I'm a bit confused about this too)

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Pinkly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2011

I would say Rylais a good item for Karthus and so is Archangels, Lich Bane is also great for pushing.

About Wall of Pain, I usually take two points in Defile early game for the mana regen and then max Wall of Pain

Crazyflames

01-26-2011

I don't see the use of Reylas due to having an insainly strong slow already, that reduces magic resist, I usualy get ROA first, than archangles due to Q farmming it up easy and E needing tons of mana, Deathcap is great on him (as well as any champ that gets AP...) and you can stack archangles if your pub stomping or build based on the type of damage your oponents building (get hourglass or frozen heart if they have high phisical damage, get abyssal scepter or litch bane for strong mages.)(probably need more MR than just this litch bane...)

If you don't need the wall for the slow (they don't move from Q or they run into it) you should max out E, maby 1 level in wall but E does huge damage early game.

Tekshi

01-26-2011

Rylai is amazing, Since aside from your wall which is like on a 15 second CD, you have no way to chase after an enemy. Rylai guarantees an infinite slow.

Usually I go tears --> rylai --> hourglass --> archangel(or deathcap) --> vice versa --> then whatever i feel like at this point.

All good karthus players should rush hourglass before deathcap. Too lazy to tell you how to use it, but it should be fairly obvious. It's basically what wins team fights.

RoA is pointless imo, your point is to go in and die. It's better to get more useful items that maximizes your damage output or gives some utility.

Oh and I don't understand why people rush archangel. It's better to get it by mid-late game after you maxed out your tears farming. It does nothing aside from add to your AP.

I personally max out wall over defile(E), and have done well with it, but that's mostly because I don't run any mana regen runes which makes E a ***** to use. (I leave it at level 1 just for mana farming)

AreYouReady2Die

01-26-2011

My best games i push for Archangel fast getting boots 1<, sorc boots after.

typically followed with RoA, Abyss scepter, Deathcap, Hour glass.

I perfer AA, boots, RoA x 2, Abyss Scepter, Hour Glass though slightly less bang but your more able to take damage, Will of Ancients is nice too, depending on who your fighting

Tekshi

01-26-2011

Why do you rush Archangel?

Why choose that over rylai, abyssal, hourglass, or rabadon?

EzraTwitch

01-26-2011

Rush Rabadons

Win

Karthas = Easy Button