My trundle feels inconsequential

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shinnyshin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2011

Heyo

So I took up Trundle a few days ago and fell in love with his ability set. His W is ridiculously good against towers and for jungle control, his E is just phenomenal, etc... And I'd like to think that I contribute a great deal to my team with Trundle. I save people left and right with pillar, enable kills all the time.

Despite all these pluses, though, I feel like I'm really not contributing any damage. I'm a decent tank, great at escaping from fights, and good for coordinating things with my pillar, but my Trundle feels like he doesn't bring anything outside of his teamfight abilities.

Is anyone else having this problem with Trundle? If not, what is your build?

My standard jungle trundle setup is 0/20/10, Armor pen marks, Health quints, Armor yellows, and mana regen blues. I start with cloth armor/5 health pots, move to a Wriggle's, then get mercury's treads, a sheen, and then a randuin (unless the enemy team is all magical). I certainly feel tanky, but really don't feel like I do anything with my autoattacks.

Gunflame

01-26-2011

He doesnt do much damage... I recommend you to get trinity force... it should help out

Chingmeister

01-26-2011

Replace sheen with Wit's End and everything should fall into place. May be a bit better to replace randuin with warmogs too...don't really need a second aoe snare....

Redenbacher

01-26-2011

Why on earth would you replace Sheen with Wit's End when Trundle has a spammable nuke on a low cooldown?

Grovel

01-26-2011

Yeah, I'd finish Trinity before moving on to Randuin's. You could probably skip Health Quints too, and go right for Armor Pen.

Stonewall put up a sick Trundle Jungle guide on YouTube about a week ago- he recommends Attack Damage Quints and a handful of AD Marks and just runs a continuous circuit- gives him a nice level advantage and great ganking potential.

Sykomyke

01-26-2011

Nope, just you. I don't feel like I'm inconsequential when I play trundle.

On any champion K=Kills D=Deaths A=Assist.

If K+(A/2) > D then you are fine. If K+(A/2)< D then you need to figure something out. Also if D >10, no matter the situation you are doing something wrong.

Shinnyshin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Nope, just you. I don't feel like I'm inconsequential when I play trundle.

On any champion K=Kills D=Deaths A=Assist.

If K+(A/2) > D then you are fine. If K+(A/2)< D then you need to figure something out. Also if D >10, no matter the situation you are doing something wrong.
Trust me, that's not the purpose of this thread.

I know this game pretty well (got what, about 1500 games or so?) and am a good enough player that I very very very rarely go negative on anyone anymore under any setting. And I know all the maths about KDA.

The purpose of this thread is that I feel like I'm doing all I can with Trundle, but for all the utility I provide I don't think I deal enough damage compared to what I could do with any other character. I had been hoping I just wasn't following the proper build, but it looks like that might just be how Trundle rolls...

Thank you everyone for your advice, I'll experiment again with adding a Trinity earlier in my build. I don't suppose anyone has tried some quirky, interesting builds with Trundle that really paid off?

Shagrarz

01-26-2011

Tiamats...6 OF THEM!!

Booshin

01-26-2011

five rageblades and a starks

gorgongaze

01-26-2011

saw this thread, and while im not an expert with trundle (have about 20 wins and like 9 losses with him) i figured i would offer up my build when me and my team play. first off, while trinity force is useful, its definitely a huge cost item, which will set you back, and i usually find that item useful on champs like alistar, blitz, (and before changes, Urgot).

oh, and i will say this, even though hes tough and can sap a bit of AD from champs, hes not a tank so id advise not building him as such as you'll be less deadly. anyways, masteries i use are 9/21/0 taking all the good tanking abilities, and cd reduction/crit masteries in offensive. as far as runes go:

armor pen - red
crit chance/mp/5 - yellow (usually use crit chance myself, though mp/5 can help out in a pinch)
magic resist - blue
flat hp - quint

and as far as items go its usually:
1. long sword+ hp pot
- phage (early on this gives definite survivability and a bit of dmg plus a free extra slow)
2. boots 1
- merc treads/ninja tabi (usually always treads)
3. brutalizer
- ghostblade, but dont buy this right away, trust, brutalizer will tide you over for a while
4. bilgewater cutlass
- hextech gunblade - the major beast of the arsenal, gives survivability, extra dmg+slow, usually get this before ghost blade in most cases for lifesteal/extra dmg
5. ghostblade - after gunblade
6. phage - frozen mallet

alternate items:
starks fervor
black cleaver
last whisper
randuins omen

just keep in mind that you dont need a huge amount of atk speed due to W giving a great amount of it, just focus on using ulti on the enemy tank, and kill off the carries, but DO NOT INITIATE FIGHTS, let the tank/beef on the team do that, then just go for the squishies and if they dont rage quit, you guys should win, hehe.

anyways, just keep in mind this build works for me, but might not work for everyone, but give it a shot and it should work out well.