Defending Tiamat

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rosham

01-15-2010

For the price, and what it does, I don't understand the dislike people have for this weapon. I've noticed a tendency for people to hyper specialize in a single attribute (life drain, attack speed, attack damage) and for myself I don't particularly feel that ignoring utility makes for a good player.

Anyway, breaking down Tiamat. 42 attack damage. nearly as much as a BF sword, it is not insubstantial. 15 hp5, pretty solid considering you only bought a 250 gold item for it. 4 mp5... okay, this is pretty weaksauce, but you only spent 180 gold on this attribute.

Finally, the unique splash damage is not inconsiderable. It scales with damage AND attack speed. This item makes a bad minion farmer into a good minion farmer. The gold from minions adds up pretty quickly.

Tiamat does not produce as much straight up single target damage that the gear built off the BF sword will, but its also nearly 1k gold cheaper.

I like Tiamat on Taric, Nidalee and Poppy.

Morzas

01-15-2010

Health regeneration and mana regeneration are stats that are both really useless outside of the early-game farming phase. Tiamat's splash is useful for farming, it's true, but Taric already has a farming skill and Nidalee is ranged so it's easy to get last hits with her. I guess it's justified on Poppy, she has no farming skill at all, although you can solve that by getting a Chalice and using her other skills on creeps.

EasymodeX

01-15-2010

Same discussion as with Battlefury in DotA -- splash damage is only relevant in a very narrow niche. Regen is obsolete by midgame.

As a side, Tiamat has weak mp regen compared to BFury in DotA.

It's a cost efficient item for the value you get from it, but several components of the "value" just aren't useful.

Pocky Snacks

01-15-2010

In my opinion, regen isn't obsolete if you've got the setup for it, like a full-tank Cho-gath or something of that sort making use of stacked defenses and warmogs + Force of Nature. In that scenario, 65-ish regen per second amounts to 150-ish effective additional HP per second due to health's augmentation by defense.

In the example of tiamat though, yeah that amount of regen is pretty useless; especially because Poppy's gearset tends not to lean towards the armored aspect of gameplay.

Synxxx

01-15-2010

It's nice on Twitch for more 'Press R and Win Game' action, but other than that; I don't use it.

Taric can already one-shot entire waves of creeps with Shatter and a bit of AP; so it's not like he needs the help farming. Poppy is awesome at killing golem/liz, and should be getting tons of money by poaching player kills. Then there's nidalee, who even as a pure AP spec; wipes out whole waves of creeps nearly instantly as well.

Rosham

01-15-2010

Taric CAN one shot a waves of creeps, but having Shatter up for the armor is more useful in general. Its also better to have shatter up to get a last hit in on an enemy champ, and not use it on minions. Depending on how fast you go through waves, especially early on, the cooldown on Shatter is a bit slow.

EasymodeX

01-15-2010

Certainly if you're doing a regen build, then there are ways to go about it ... and Tiamat does't cut it.

The issue is that for Tiamat to be effective (and not just efficient), the champ must make effective use of the hp regen, mana regen, and damage. In most cases, the hp regen of a bead doesn't cut it (need to buy HP pots anyways), and the mp regen doesn't cut it either (need a Meki / Chalice / mp pot / Sheen is a better item for the champ / etc).

In DotA, it was basically Magnus (due to his ult and spammable nuke, and even then people frowned on the wasted HP regen) and in some cases Medusa (makes effective use of the surplus of regen, and only needs raw damage with no orb effects for autoattack potency).

Also as a counter item to image spam.

Wonder if LoL will get any substantive "image" mechanics.

Arlando

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2010

ive always wondered, so ill post it here. what are the mechanics of the "splash damage"? even if its negligible id like to know.

Xirus

01-15-2010

Arlando, basically it does half damage of the hit in splash damage. If you attack a creep, it can hit a creep to either side of it, but no further than that.

Oberic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2010

I haven't done it, but it does work, make 2 of them for full splash damage.
They keep stacking, same as dota, if you make 4, you do 200% damage to non-main targets.. lol.

I'd still rather only make one.

Nidalee doesn't need any help farming, AP Nidalee eats minions and jungle monsters fine.