Lets discuss Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reinami

01-25-2011

Recently been trying out other builds with Gangplank, i tried an AP build the past few days, and actually i was quite surprised at how useful i was. I was much more of a support role. I constantly got Assists from my ultimate and even had times when my ultimate killed a person or 2. People were really surprised out how much damage i did. All while healing myself for an incredibly large amount.

This has inspired me to try other builds.

In fact i have read that Gangplank can be played

Critplank
APlank
ADplank
Tankplank.

So this has got me thinking about possible builds.

What are some of your unusual builds for gangplank?

Personally, have yet to try anything but Critplank and APlank. As APlank i generally rush a LichB and then stacking (yes stacking) Gunblades, with the spellvamp+lifesteal+AD+AP+LB i find my Parrrleys hitting for almost as much as critplank while healing me a large amount.

What about you guys?

What are you AP gangplank builds? What about your tank builds? Lets share, maybe we can realize the potential of GP together!

Rosz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2011

i have played for a while and my usual build is something hybrid between critplank, tankplank and sometimes ap. building as main ; warmog and atmas impaler, sometimes i either start with spirit visage or tears (to manamune or archangels as i feel like needed).

after that is just what team needs, trinity, phantom dance, infinity edge, fon, thornmail, etc.

i have play with that build like 20 games and lost 6 of them where i tryied to tank a team with only squishies, and didnt worked

Einoei

01-26-2011

LuLs, AP!? if yu wan AP play anotha legendary hero!

(x) Crit/tank

Larson McMurphy

01-26-2011

I don't think there is a difference between Ad and crit builds. You need both to be effective. I usually go with trinity force to start, which gives consistent non-crit damage, but by late game (if it gets that far) I usually have IE and a bunch of crit chance anyway. I consider it a crit plank build. What do you mean OP?

Fluffy1

01-26-2011

actually trying to do damage via crit builds seems kinda useless, your good for 1 shot that may or may not crit, the main point of GP is his utility, he ults for the slow and auto attacks for the healing debuff. he rarely does any damage, he works well with CDR and aura's. a tanky aura build works great as hes fast enough to stay in range of everyone and wont get 2 shotted by the enemy support like crit plank does(my god hes fragile). CDR and AP is the rout you go if you wanna do damage, that ult stings hard with ap and that heal is pretty broken with ap.

Belanova

01-26-2011

AP Plank is good, as long as you stack the items that give Ability Power and Armor Penetration*.

*There are none, which means it's not a good build. Your Lich Bane procs deal half damage at most.

Not to mention, that Tankplank, while less viable than stacking Critical Chance, can at least tower dive somewhat safely, and can late game, deal respectable damage.

Blind Cougar

01-26-2011

How are you guys building Critplank to be so squishy? With an IE, Atma's, and a Phantom Dancer, you gain a 68% crit chance off that alone with 2 slots left over for pure defensive items.

Or are you guys leaving it to only 1 defensive item and building a 4th crit item?

AreYouReady2Die

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2011

The main thing I use is tankplank warmog/atma's/IE 2 PD and banshee is pretty darn deadly, crit plank 2 pd's, IE, ghostblade, bloodthirster, banshee. Trick I love is selling boots with 2 pd's or pd and trinty. My tankplank actually gets to melle if I get thirster instead of IE.

Never had much luck with ap builds, but I was going lich deathcap, 1 hextech, hourglass, ryjial's and I wasn't doing much without ult. Prolly bad build

Craixis

01-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanova View Post
AP Plank is good, as long as you stack the items that give Ability Power and Armor Penetration*.

*There are none, which means it's not a good build. Your Lich Bane procs deal half damage at most.

Not to mention, that Tankplank, while less viable than stacking Critical Chance, can at least tower dive somewhat safely, and can late game, deal respectable damage.
Oh, Parrrley may not hit as hard as a Crit parrrley, but it matchs the average non crit. His Remove Scurvy can heal for a third of his life, when he has 3000 hp. His Cannon Barrage deals 280 damage per cannonball vs the regular vs the regular 180. (Not like its a large AoE that is almost certain to hit something in a teamfight, oh...)

But yeah, since his Parrrley hits for only 600 vs 800 with an IE critting... that makes the build completely nonviable... Sheesh.

AP Plank is played when you need a support character who can support without being there, Cannon Barrage is simply outrageous when you have a little AP for kick. AP Plank also has a much stronger early to mid game then your standard critplank, due to items like Catalyst and Sheen (allowing for more staying power, which means more farm, which means more items, etc), has more presence in team fights, even when he's away, can and WILL reverse a large minion wave push, relying less on the RNG and more on "My cannonball just wrecked YOU FACE" factor.

Don't knock the build, its actually very strong for a durable support. Oh, and btw... Mageplank is just as Durable as Tankplank with a higher damage output, while being much more durable then "Glass Cannon" Critplank while putting out a still impressively high damage output. So again, Don't knock the #%#%in' build, I've played it enough to know it works and wasn't a fluke (its really good at ending games by the 25 minute mark if someone isn't feeding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouReady2Die View Post
The main thing I use is tankplank warmog/atma's/IE 2 PD and banshee is pretty darn deadly, crit plank 2 pd's, IE, ghostblade, bloodthirster, banshee. Trick I love is selling boots with 2 pd's or pd and trinty. My tankplank actually gets to melle if I get thirster instead of IE.

Never had much luck with ap builds, but I was going lich deathcap, 1 hextech, hourglass, ryjial's and I wasn't doing much without ult. Prolly bad build
Since you're a melee caster, you need to be a bit more durable (Unlike Panth, who can just burst). RoA is a nice choice for Surv (plus Catalyst is so hard to pass up), keep Sheen until you get some AP for a minor increase to damage (Lich Bane only gives 80 AP, while your base attack damage will be slightly higher). I personally focus more on CDR afterwards... your damage is coming from Parrrley and Cannon Barrage instead of Parrrley and Auto attacks. Plus, CDR also means more Remove Scurvy spam, meaning you can tank a turret for your team if you're feeling ballsy. DFG is a good choice to increase burst/CDR... Nashor's allows you to rip into towers even without much AD, while Gunblade uses the best of both worlds for Spell Vamp on his Ult and Raise morale, and Lifesteal on his Parrrley (Plus the Slow/AP isn't bad if you remember to use it).

Edit: Oh and OP, you're missing Trinityplank... Early game Trinity Force and work into damage such as Blood Thirster or Last Whisper. There's multiple ways you can play the Pirate, just depends on the game/day/player.

Blind Cougar

01-26-2011

Like Malady Monday, Tiamat Tuesday, Warmog Wednesday? (Btw, Tiamat is a nothing underappreciated item on Gang)