Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Viability of healers?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Isomodia

01-25-2011

Hello all. I'm a simi-casual player who mains with Tristana who is weighing his next champion purchase. I'm very drawn to Sona, as her skillset fits well with my general gaming mindset, supporting and disabling more than just pew-pewing (which is what is causing slight burnout with Tristana.) My biggest goal as Tristana is to have a positive K/D ratio. I know that this is not a great judge of skill or success, but I find that if the entire team is able to be stingy on giving up deaths, we can jump to a significant midgame advantage, and I often end up winning games around the time most champions are hitting level 13 or 14. However, I can't help imagining how much more useful I might be buffing up my laning partners or dropping into a team fight, stunning a large portion of enemies, and popping Hymn of Valor/ Aria of Perserverence, depending on the situation.

For some reason, when I try to use the search feature of the forums, I get an access denied error, and after searching through the first few pages to no avail, I decided it was time for my first forum post.

Are healers viable in this game? Right now, Soraka is free to play, and the one time I considered playing her, I had two team mates practically begging me to reconsider. I'm wondering if the case here was: A) Soraka is just an under-powered champion, B) They were just baddies hoping to get a team of 5 glass cannons, or C) Healing is just not viable. I was hoping someone else with a bit more experience might be able to clear this up, and possibly help me out with a few starter tips.

I thank everyone in advance for their time and help.

Dakkas

01-25-2011

Taric is as awesome as he is fabulous. He has a heal that scales really well with AP, a stun which is always great to have, a aura that increases armour and an ultimate which will give your AD carries a free BF sword late game. He really is arguably the best overall support character in the game

ldfhndfjkndh

01-25-2011

If your primary concern is healing, use Soraka. There is much, much more to Sona than just healing. Healing is definitely viable, but just because a support champ has one healing spell doesn't mean that should be your primary strategy.

My main support champ is Soraka, and while she may or may not be underpowered, I'm beast at her. People always whine and moan when I pick Soraka in champ select, but they always end up thanking me for saving their asses. I'm a very good Soraka, and unlike most players, I actually get kills with her (most games I get scores like 10-6-16), as I utillize her offensive capabilities to their fullest extent. If you're interested I can give you some advice and such. I'm level 30 btw, so it's not like I'm talking out of my ass right now.

Isomodia

01-26-2011

Well, like I said, the overall playstyle of Sona looks like it'd appeal to me. That said, Soraka is free this week, so I'll definately give her a shot. I'm gonna go read up on her a bit and jump into a game. Any advice you'd like to give would be greatly appreciated.

Like I said, I play pretty casually, so there are a lot of things (including terminalogy, I stumbled onto DotA late.) I don't know, or at least not well. As long as you have constructive advice, I'd listen to anything you have to say. Worst case scenerio is that I stay at the same skill, and I'd definitely be open to tips to up my game. I hate feeling like the liability.

Don't get me wrong, I read a few starter guides, general tip posts, etc. I also read up on a champion before dropping into a game to prevent just blindly feeding while I figure out what is going on. I just feel like I may be missing something. It's quite likely just a lack of skill/experience.

Cenerae

01-26-2011

Generally speaking, healing by itself is not that great, since it's countered by a great many things. Not to say that healing is useless - in certain setups (pushing teams for example) it's great to let your team keep going. But it is a more niche thing than you might like. Oftentimes, when you play Soraka you will feel like you're not really contributing later on, unless you manage to farm a lot of money and go straight AP (not generally recommended due to survivability issues), whereupon your 1k heal spells are hardly going to feel inadequate.

So, if Soraka turns out to not be for you, then I suggest you look at a champ's skillset and treat the healing as an extra. For example, with Sona (who has the poorest and most mana inefficient healing of any champ in the game), you don't pick her because she can heal people. You pick her for her aggressive early game, her aoe stun, and her auras. You pick Taric for his stun and auras (though Taric does actually have a very good scaling heal too). You pick Janna for her CC and anti-initiation ult. Etc.

saixx

Recruiter

01-26-2011

I prefer my healer to be Nidalee. I play her on occasion and like a more support/caster role. Her 1.25:AP scaling on heal is nice. I usually have a 650 heal late game, but her heal also comes with an attack speed buff. Great for pushing, or boosting your carry in a fight if nobody needs healed. Her traps give map awareness as well as a major armor/MR debuff. Her spear can do 1/2 the hp of a carry from range(scales further it flies). And cougar form just bring in major pushing/dmg to the game. Nidalle is waaaaay underappreciated.

sorry for grammar/spelling typing while at work

Booshin

01-26-2011

I've played Soraka a few times. She's okay, but my K/D/A is usually really low because I concentrate on healing.

I'd play her more if Riot maybe made it so healing an ally that then gets a kill gives you an assist.

saixx

Recruiter

01-26-2011

...they did do that. Quite some time ago. If you buff someone that gets a kill you get an assist. So you would as soraka strike up a high assist ratio. My best is 31 so far as a support char.

Triss Teh

01-26-2011

Soraka KO'ed me and my ally 2v1 in the first minutes of them game because of her heal. She healed back ALL of the damage we dealt out. She had almost no life and then heal heal she's full life again. We were arranged too on Skype so it's not like we were uncoordinated with our attacks.

If you build Soraka right she can heal like no others business. The problem with her is that she is only as good as the rest of the team, regardless of the skill of the person playing Soraka. If your carry sucks well, that's that.

Eppa

01-26-2011

Soraka isn't great she used to be too good so riot nerfed her a little to much.

Taric and Janna are amazing support. Sona is decent.