[Suggestion] Commander Interface

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kendrael

08-13-2009

Over a three game session this evening with a couple of friends, who were new or semi-new to this game, we had our difficulties with coordinating our team during the action. After thinking a bit about the issue, I imagined how cool some sort of leadership UI feature would be.
The general idea would be to enable players on a team to promote one of them to act as commander. Said commander would be able to send orders (via hotkey), which would pop up in a significant size on the upper middle part of the screen, like "RETREAT", "MOVE IN" and so on. Furthermore if he uses the ping command it could show up as a marker on everyone's main screen, pointing into the pinged direction, instead of just appearing on the minimap.
I think such a feature would definitely be welcomed between the other two options of executing leadership (chat and voicecom), because it combines the directness and ability to catch someone's attention of voicechat with the comfort of written chat like not needing a microphone/voicechat program.

Summary: A tool to support leadership would greatly increase the potential of teamwork and organization of the team, which in my opinion translates straight into more fun, as there's a huge satisfaction in watching a nicely choreographed slaugheter of everything standing between you and victory :P

Edit: After playing a game with 7 people and bots in the rest of the slots it was kinda obvious, that this interface would be perfect for leading the AI players aswell.

danielklein

08-14-2009

I really like this idea. It may be unnecessary for high end teams who know how to coordinate through voice chat, but for the wide middle field of players, for those who are trying to improve their teamplay, this would be a godsend.

Kendrael

08-15-2009

Added suggestion to make it possible to control bots.