Runes for Rammus?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RokPaprBazooka

01-14-2010

what type of runes would you recommend for rammus? Any specific tier 2 runes to recommend for me (dont worry about cost)

and a question i had. I am looking at Quintessence of Vitality rune right now. It says +2.1 health per level. Does that mean if i had 30 hp regularly at level 2, with this rune i would have 32 hp at level 2? I am just asking because that seems like such a small boost in stats compared to its cost

zoau

01-15-2010

well, as i take it runes are about small boosts that can add up. like 1% crit chance isnt felt, but a full page of about 20% crit chance makes your early game so much more interesting. how much life would you get if you stack those runes? and how many more hits can you take doing that? however i think flat health quints are better since they increase your earlygame survival more, where the small boosts ur runes give us count most.

Eurynomous

01-15-2010

Pretty much all builds of rammus are going heavily on armor (to have synergy with his passive and w ability) so I would have to recommend that as a great option.

You might also go for a bit of mana regen because his abilities are expensive and he doesnt have a big mana pool(and it saves you from buying a meki ).

Magic resist is pretty much the only other thing you might want to rune. He gets a lot of it with his w ability but otherwise he doesnt have much. Now he usually smashes casters pretty easily so it isnt a huge issue, but when you need it you certainly notice not having it.

TKana

01-15-2010

My rammus book is filled with HP, so i dont have to focus on that during the game.
350 HP @ lvl 18 and 97 HP @ lvl 1.

I recommend taking a stat thats usefull, but you dont want to invest too heavily in. In my opinion, its either MR or HP. You should be stacking armor like there is no tomorrow ;p

Jesta1004

01-15-2010

I agree with TKana. Either HP or MR for Rammus would be my first choices. You are stacking so much armor with items that another 20 or 30 isn't worthwhile. One thing about Rammus is he doesn't gain any MR per level so the runes can really help fill this void. Yes his defensive curl ups his MR a lot, but you don't have it on constantly.

If you wanna up his mana/mana regen that could work out also as his spells do take a lot of mana and his pool is pretty small on its own.

RokPaprBazooka

01-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKana View Post
My rammus book is filled with HP, so i dont have to focus on that during the game.
350 HP @ lvl 18 and 97 HP @ lvl 1.

I recommend taking a stat thats usefull, but you dont want to invest too heavily in. In my opinion, its either MR or HP. You should be stacking armor like there is no tomorrow ;p
going for MR sounds like the right plan. thanks mate

Now, do you guys usually get runes that increases stat as you level up (for example, +0.22 strength per level), or runes that give you stat straight up (for example, +3 strength). Or do you guys recommend getting a mixture of the two?

ThePlumber

01-15-2010

Rammus is my main, and I have red armor runes, yellow dodge runes, and blue cooldown/lvl runes. The cooldown/lvl was from when I played Kayle, but being able to use all of Rammus skills earlier (especially if you get a frozen heart) is great!

Garborg

01-15-2010

+24MR @ 18 for x9 blue tier 3 ruins, I love them.

TKana

01-23-2010

I personally like HP runes p/lvl mostly because of blind pick.

When facing a team filled with carries (doesnt happen that often though) the MR will do nearly nothing.

My usual gear setup puts me at around 4k hp, 400 armor and 200 magic resist, at which point i call myself invincible.

I dont get dodge runes because i have the feeling it either bypasses my thornmail or defensive curl. Seems my damage v carries is lower (not a fact btw, an observation). Same reason im not fond of grabbing a Frozen Heart. Its a lot of armor, but not quite usefull for what i plan on doing. I do love the CD redux though, but i can always grab a golem buff if its needed. Which it isnt in my opinion. Its just a bonus.

Linden Ryuujin

01-27-2010

Dodging doesn't stop Defensive Curl and I assume it doesn't stop Thornmail either (armour doesn't reduce the effectiveness of them either, the reflect damage is calculated off the raw damage being applied).

I'm mostly an MR rune build for Rammus but I'm weighing up the advantages of Dodge or MP/5 in seals. At the moment I take a chalice for mana (also boost my MR of course) so I kind of feel I dodge would fit in nicely, particularly as it's hard to get in items.