Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Morgana - Guide to the Highly Aggressive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sorce

01-18-2010

Hmm, I guess it would be nice to find that out, I may be just spinning my wheels. It's still fun either way, I just want to make sure i'm not wasting any rune slots.

EchoRex

01-18-2010

As far as effective damage goes, Magic Pen runes do significantly add to your damage output against non resist stacked players. Early and Mid game they can be the entirety of the difference between whether you get a couple kills or if you just burn through mana to force a recall.

If you are wanting to take Sorc shoes, Magic Pen runes are a serious boon, and would definitely take the Abyssal Scepter instead of the Void Staff. Percentage and flat numeric decreases are counter productive to run together as a general rule. Plus you net a good bit of much, much needed magic resist and more AP than in OP's the listed build with that item swap at the cost of 300 additional gold.

Personally, Tormented Soil is prioritized over Dark Binding early game. The extra pushing and farming capabilities nets you much quicker gold while allowing you to have a cheap mana cost disable to pin for and to escape from ganks at a point in the game that Morgana, even starting with a Meki and using Clarity, will have mana problems.

I normally rush Tormented Soil to rank four, then max Dark Binding, while taking a point, maybe two depending on opponents, of Black Shield. Finally maxing out Black Shield the last few levels.

I really can't see the point in CDR runes, they play out as a waste with how easy and core it is with Morgana to take CDR and Golem in game.

Sorce

01-18-2010

I do get abysmal staff as well, but now that i know how the penetration works, I will start going for that first and the void staff third. By the time i get the staff, shoes, and scepter, I am usually killing pretty fast. As for skills, I get tormented soul first, then DB. That combo at level 2 and three, along with ignite is almost enough to kill someone by yourself...and it even does given the right champ you are going against. Nevermind if you are laning with a good partner, cause its almost a no brainer to kill someone everytime you land a DB.

Wildstorm

01-18-2010

It goes reduction (abyssal staff), % penetration (15% mastery + void), then finally flat penetration (runes, haunting guise, sorc boots). Getting both abyssal staff and void is bad idea, heavy diminishing returns.

F3nr1s

Recruiter

01-20-2010

Quote:
Sorce:
I do get abysmal staff as well, but now that i know how the penetration works, I will start going for that first and the void staff third. By the time i get the staff, shoes, and scepter, I am usually killing pretty fast. As for skills, I get tormented soul first, then DB. That combo at level 2 and three, along with ignite is almost enough to kill someone by yourself...and it even does given the right champ you are going against. Nevermind if you are laning with a good partner, cause its almost a no brainer to kill someone everytime you land a DB.

Cause its a no brainer to kill someone everytime you land a DB... then why would you get at lvl 2!? its a 2.5 second snare at LVL 1!! If you have a half decent dpser and an exhaust with you, thats first blood without even trying!!

Sorce

01-21-2010

If you read my comment again, you would see that I am talking about the combo, not just landing the Dark Binding. I get Torment first for early lane control, and using Dark Binding on creeps is very much a waste. Also, with Torment, you get to level 2 much faster than if you take DB first. However, I agree that with a good partner, you could get a kill at level 1 easier, but generally most people are going to be playing defensively and it may not be that easy to land one since you aren't able to clear out their creeps. The hardest part of playing Morgana is landing her root. It really isn't much more (offensively) than landing the 3 part combo all game.

Don't get me wrong, by no means am I saying she is anything more than an average Champion played offensively, I am just saying she is viable, and not as bad as some make it out to be.

churika

01-21-2010

What do you think about a deathfire grasp in there for the extra nuke? Quite often I find myself waiting for cooldowns in a 1v1 with morgana even after I stun them with ultimate. I believe u could burst kill someone with deathfire grasp + snare combo.

Noctred

01-21-2010

Quote:
Sorce:
If you read my comment again, you would see that I am talking about the combo, not just landing the Dark Binding. I get Torment first for early lane control, and using Dark Binding on creeps is very much a waste. Also, with Torment, you get to level 2 much faster than if you take DB first. However, I agree that with a good partner, you could get a kill at level 1 easier, but generally most people are going to be playing defensively and it may not be that easy to land one since you aren't able to clear out their creeps. The hardest part of playing Morgana is landing her root. It really isn't much more (offensively) than landing the 3 part combo all game.

One rank of Tormented Soil does not give you much lane control because the damage it deals to creeps is fairly negligible. You will get better lane control at level 1 by getting your opponent out of your face with Dark Binding, and sometimes you don't even have to cast the spell to do it. If you use the brush effectively and your lane partner supports you, you can scare people off simply by going around their minions through the brush and popping up right in their face. If you build Morgana defensively for level 1 (i.e. flat HP quints and Doran's Ring/Shield), this is all the level 1 lane control you need.

Furthermore, the time it takes to get from level 1 to level 2 is insignificant regardless of what skill you take first - and this is true for pretty much every champion. Dark Binding is simply too powerful of a tool at the start of a match to not take it first.

Lastly, I completely disagree that the hardest thing about Morgana is landing the bind. The hardest thing about Morgana, by a mile, is getting the timing on your Black Shield down to the point where you can predict and stop pretty much any ability at the last possible moment. If you can't do this, the vast majority of her utility flies straight out the window.

Sorce

01-22-2010

Quote:
Noctred:
One rank of Tormented Soil does not give you much lane control because the damage it deals to creeps is fairly negligible. You will get better lane control at level 1 by getting your opponent out of your face with Dark Binding, and sometimes you don't even have to cast the spell to do it. If you use the brush effectively and your lane partner supports you, you can scare people off simply by going around their minions through the brush and popping up right in their face. If you build Morgana defensively for level 1 (i.e. flat HP quints and Doran's Ring/Shield), this is all the level 1 lane control you need.

Furthermore, the time it takes to get from level 1 to level 2 is insignificant regardless of what skill you take first - and this is true for pretty much every champion. Dark Binding is simply too powerful of a tool at the start of a match to not take it first.

Lastly, I completely disagree that the hardest thing about Morgana is landing the bind. The hardest thing about Morgana, by a mile, is getting the timing on your Black Shield down to the point where you can predict and stop pretty much any ability at the last possible moment. If you can't do this, the vast majority of her utility flies straight out the window.

I have to disagree with one rank in tormented soul not being worthy at level 1. It's not so much the damage at that point, rather than you are hitting an entire wave at once, as well as auto attacking. Therefore, you are going to kill a whole wave much faster, ergo lane control. I assure you there aren't many players, outside of completely new ones, that will just stand inside torment and take the damage, especially if you are laning with a partner. Also, if you are scaring other players away by simply running into the brush, then you are going against some bad players. It's all about positioning, and in my opinion, torment is better for positioning at level 1. In other words, any player with basic knowledge of Morgana will know they can use the creeps as a shield for DB. The time you are spending in the brush, you aren't making any gold, as your partner and/or minions will be getting the last hit.

If the time is takes from 1 to 2 is negliglble in your opinion, then our whole conversation is moot. It doesn't matter if you take DB or torment first. As for DB being too powerful a tool not to take at level 1...I would be willing to bet that if you play against any decent players, you will not land that root before hitting level 2, unless they were going for an early rush, at which point you aren't going to kill them anyway. Neither skill will kill a champion at level 1. (Especially if you are speccing for defense)

And to your last point, I agree that her shield is the staple of her utility, however, that is not what I am discussing here, as the topic of this thread is a "Highly Agressive Morgana." I am simply discussing her viabilty as an offensive caster. Regardless of whether you are a professional at using her Black Shield, if you can't land her DB, (which is also a utility skill) then you will, more often than not, lose to the enemy, especially in a one on one fight. Try killing someone at equal level, 1vs1, by just using torment and soul shackles, very rarely will it happen.

Noctred

01-22-2010

Quote:
Sorce:
Also, if you are scaring other players away by simply running into the brush, then you are going against some bad players. It's all about positioning, and in my opinion, torment is better for positioning at level 1. In other words, any player with basic knowledge of Morgana will know they can use the creeps as a shield for DB. The time you are spending in the brush, you aren't making any gold, as your partner and/or minions will be getting the last hit.

Not really.

The only way to avoid getting creep blocked early game is to avoid creeps by going through the brush and coming out next to your opponents, behind their creeps. If they stick around, they'll get bound and suffer whatever you and your lane partner can do to them during the duration (which, depending on your partner, can result in a forced recall or a kill). Otherwise, they back off or generally move themselves out of position.

If you're not confident in your ability to hit Dark Binding consistently, maybe it isn't worth getting at level 1. Personally, I can hit my shots on a fairly consistent basis, barring bad games which everybody has.

Lastly, I'm not saying that you just sit in the brush doing nothing. You can pop out of the brush to last hit as necessary. The main point was that you spend some amount of your time behind the enemy creeps, so that - 1. you avoid getting creep blocked, and 2 - the people you're laning against know that they'll probably get caught if they don't move - and the only reasonable direction they can move in order to not put themselves in an even worse position is back towards their tower. Unless they just want to straight up fight you, which will probably turn out in your favor if you have a coordinated lane. Obviously things will change depending on exactly where your lane is pushed to.

Quote:
I would be willing to bet that if you play against any decent players, you will not land that root before hitting level 2, unless they were going for an early rush, at which point you aren't going to kill them anyway. Neither skill will kill a champion at level 1. (Especially if you are speccing for defense)
It's easy to say "Well, that will only work if you're playing against horrible players." In reality, that often comes out to be a failure of an argument. I have 333 games played, 184 of those with Morgana, and am +40 in terms of wins to losses. Not that great, not that bad. On average, I play decent players. Occasionally I see players from the published Top 500 ELO lists.

In general (subject to change depending on exact champions being used) - if your lane opponents are aggressive enough and you utilize the brush effectively with proper support from your partner, your opponents will either get bound and heavily harassed or they'll back off and tone down their aggressiveness. If they continue to play aggressively and push the lane to your side of the river, a kill isn't difficult if you set up properly and your partner is there with you. This is at level 1. Dark Binding will make it happen. Tormented Soil won't.

However, again, most of the time it doesn't even matter because of how quickly people get from 1 to 2 - but I would still much rather take Dark Binding first because it has the potential to both harass an opponent completely out of your lane, and the potential to save yourself or your lanemate from an early gank and/or early harassment. Tormented Soil doesn't, and any ground you gain from taking Soil at level 1 can be made up in short order at level 2.

The important thing to understand here is that taking Dark Binding first allows you to take advantage of opportunities. Will those opportunities always be there? Nah, but I prefer to put myself in positions that allow me to take those opportunities when they do appear.

Quote:
And to your last point, I agree that her shield is the staple of her utility, however, that is not what I am discussing here, as the topic of this thread is a "Highly Agressive Morgana." I am simply discussing her viabilty as an offensive caster. Regardless of whether you are a professional at using her Black Shield, if you can't land her DB, (which is also a utility skill) then you will, more often than not, lose to the enemy, especially in a one on one fight. Try killing someone at equal level, 1vs1, by just using torment and soul shackles, very rarely will it happen.
I can land my binds. I was just responding to the comment, "The hardest part of playing Morgana is landing her root.", which I totally disagree with.

At higher levels of competition, once you're out of the laning phase and into the team fight phase, the two most important things that a Morgana usually needs to do is - 1. get clutch shields off, and 2 - get her ult stun off on as many people as possible in the middle of a team fight and get out alive. Landing binds is also important in team fights to stop hard melee carries and champions channeling dangerous ults (i.e. Fiddle), but all in all I'd say it's her last priority once you get out of 1v1's and into 5v5's, which is where the match is generally won. Or lost.