Offense tree-worth it on any caster?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Troll

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2011

We all know utility is great, but compare putting those 9 points in offense to 9 points in defense for any caster;

Offense gives: 10.8 AP at lvl 18, 3% cdr, and 15% spell pen, with a worthless obligatory point in crit chance.

Defense gives: 6 MR, 6 Armor (or some dodge or whatever), and most importantly, health regen of .3% of your mana pool.

Personally I'd take 6 amor and mr over 10 ap any day. With the new boots being the go-to choice for casters now, 3% cdr is very meh. Losing the 15% spell pen sucks, but here's the thing; void staff gives 40% (not always a good option, but still) and spell pen caps at 50% anyway. Most important is the hp regen; at 300 mana you're getting 9 hp/5 at lvl 1.

This essentially gives you a free doran's shield minus the bonus health, compared to a shred of AP and cdr, and the loss of 15% pen. Personally I usually go doran's shield on some casters like annie, veigar, swain, etc. but using this build I can switch to a ring and still get that armor, hp regen and lane sustainability while also getting a lot more mp regen and ap.

Rumination

01-23-2011

Interesting idea, but I think sacrificing the AP and MPen will hurt your early game a bit as a caster, which is kinda bad. I can't say for sure though; the defense might be worth it for a tankier caster like Sion or AP-Tank hybrid gragas.

Ender A Wiggin

01-23-2011

You might have to re-do your math. The "Strength of Spirit" mastery gives 0.3% of your mana in health regen (with 3 points into it).

300 mana * 0.003 = 0.9 hp/5

9hp/5 at level 1 through a mastery would be just a tad overpowered don't you think?

Schadadle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2011

Eh. 15% spell pen is huge. That puts you 1 percent under the max %mpen when you get void staff.

Rathum

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender D Wiggin View Post
You might have to re-do your math. The "Strength of Spirit" mastery gives 0.3% of your mana in health regen (with 3 points into it).

9hp/5 at level 1 through a mastery would be just a tad overpowered don't you think?
It's actually per second, though. So, 300 mana converts to 4.5 hp/5 at level 1. Not too shabby considering Doran's Shield is 8 hp/5.

vvr

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender D Wiggin View Post

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...ngth_of_Spirit

NecroMage

01-23-2011

God dammit this thread needs to be locked before people realise how broken strength of spirit is.

-1'd

Dr Troll

01-23-2011

lolwat downvotes

I did forget that it was per sec, not per 5, whatever. The extra AP is so little as to be insigificant, its 11 AP at lvl 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadadle View Post
Eh. 15% spell pen is huge. That puts you 1 percent under the max %mpen when you get void staff.
The max mpen as far as I've seen is 49%, so getting the mastery and the void staff is redundant.

redlightman

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Troll View Post
lolwat downvotes

I did forget that it was per sec, not per 5, whatever. The extra AP is so little as to be insigificant, its 11 AP at lvl 18.

The max mpen as far as I've seen is 49%, so getting the mastery and the void staff is redundant.
The mastery and and a VS are 49%...

Holy Malevolence

01-23-2011

Spell pen and CDR. Otherwise I only see it as useful on someone who wants to jungle by means of killing things really quick.