State of the Champions - You & Me & Shirley

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArlanKels

01-23-2011

Because I like Shirley.
But not Bob.

Go away Bob

Currently when you load up League of Legends you're greeted with a wonderful, entertaining game that can absorb whole hours of your life into it's vast gullet. The whale of a game flops about loudly, smacking you with numerous bright colors and characters and sounds, forcing you to think mostly about who you want to play.

Therein comes the problem...who should you play? The game is constantly in a state of flux, the patches that come out every three weeks(Or thereabouts) tends to shift the balance of the game itself. Sometimes you'll see Pantheon on top, sometimes you'll see Pantheon hiding in a corner while crying like Emumu...

Currently when you play the game you'll notice rapidly that some people tend to pick a certain set of characters over and over again. These characters are, usually, the free week champions. Outside of the free week champions there are then the "main character players", who play a specific one or two characters and rarely step outside of that frame of existence.

This is not to say either of these is bad, it merely tends to let you anticipate and understand what is to come. However, some characters, some champions, are...never touched. Never played...shunned like Grimace when he had four arms and lived in a cave.

Really right now there are a few champions that I tend to look at and go "Holy **** no". I don't like fighting them simply because they pack so much oomph and capability, flexibility and potential. Well played they basically end the game in your opponents favor...

Who are these sparkly little champions that make me pee myself in fright? Morgana is one of them, her shield coupled with the snare and an AoE stun makes her formidable. And then she also tosses in a DoT that lowers magic resistance? Good lord is that a beautiful combination of skills...built right she simply rips down entire teams alone.
Rammus is another, his ability to simply tell you to screw off and rip apart towers, teammates and everything else is impressive. His mobility combined with what is surely one of the sexiest passives in the game, along with that unable-to-die shield, taunt and AoE damage makes him a vicious and destructive entity.

You'll notice that in those first two champions there are parallels. Both have a "Snare", in the case of Rammus it's his taunt and in the case of Morgana it's her R and her Q. Both have a "Shield", Rammus has his W which boosts his armor and magic resistance and Morgana has her E which disrupts status effects and absorbs damage. Both have an Area of Effect, both of their ultimates. It is this combination of abilities which has made them so devestatingly effective, and it is why when I look at Lux and see similarities between her and Morgana(Shield/Snare/AoE) I know that Lux has the potential to be one of the strongest champions in the game.

You see, in this game CC + Damage + Durability == WINNAH. The stronger they are at these aspects the more likely they'll be top-of-the-pile. Pantheon, for example, has a stun, extreme damage and his shield which can save his rear end from some pretty significant damage. Pantheon in turn is one of the more potent champions out there.

Malphite has his AoE capabilities, a stun and some of the best tanking power in the game. He has recently become heavily popular and is rapidly turning into one of the better champions in the game.

Right now the main state of this game, what seperates Champions who rock from Champions who fail is how much CC and damage they can output, while also being able to take punishment. Cassiopeia, for example, has good CC, good damage, but mediocre durability and as such is often overshadowed by other champions. Kayle has potentially great damage but poor CC and merely okay durability(Her ultimate is over in the blink of an eye) which is why she's heavily overlooked.

One champion that spits in the eye of this is Teemo. Teemo remains a highly popular character, and that's because Teemo takes the concept of Damage and makes it annoying. He doesn't need to be alive to kill you, he doesn't even need to ever be within 1,000 range of you to kill you. This gives Teemo a sort of slacker/lazy ability to do his job without actually having to do his job.

Thoughts?

Shaella

01-23-2011

Cassiopeia's only problem is how close she has to be to output her damage

Whitemoon

01-23-2011

No, people love Teemo because he is ****ing adorable

Taelic

01-23-2011

People play teemo because he's fun to play, and you have a chance of killing people by them chancing on a shroom.

I believe you are right in your champion theory.

Another example of damage/cc/survivability is Swain. Great damage with his dots and his ability to increase all of his damage to a single target, has a really great aoe snare/damage ability and Q, and combined with a rylais and spirit visage, his ultimate can be one of the best aoe snares and survivability abilities in the game.

Lux can really dominate, but her survivability is lackluster, but when played right, she absolutely owns.

Tankiness seems to be the best stat in the game right now, as often by endgame winning teams often have all of their members sporting more than 3.5k hp if the team they face has a lot of casters or AD champ players who are un-aware of madred's.

ArlanKels

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
Cassiopeia's only problem is how close she has to be to output her damage
That would deal with "durability". She can't handle punishment/attention.

ArlanKels

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelic View Post
People play teemo because he's fun to play, and you have a chance of killing people by them chancing on a shroom.

I believe you are right in your champion theory.

Another example of damage/cc/survivability is Swain. Great damage with his dots and his ability to increase all of his damage to a single target, has a really great aoe snare/damage ability and Q, and combined with a rylais and spirit visage, his ultimate can be one of the best aoe snares and survivability abilities in the game.

Lux can really dominate, but her survivability is lackluster, but when played right, she absolutely owns.

Tankiness seems to be the best stat in the game right now, as often by endgame winning teams often have all of their members sporting more than 3.5k hp if the team they face has a lot of casters or AD champ players who are un-aware of madred's.
I rather do enjoy watching a good Swain. While there are counters for him he tends to just rip through people like they're naught more than wet tissues in the hands of a master.