Gambit aka Twisted Fate - Physical Damage Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

objectivesea

01-14-2010

--==Twisted Fate: The Cardmaster, a Physical Damage Build==--

This is a physical damage build, built around attack speed. I've seen tons of AP TF builds, however with all the nerfs The Cardmaster has been subjected to lately, I began the quest of building him as a physical dps carry, support and pusher. I will not be going in to any detail on how to play TF as of yet. I may decide later on to add to the guide, but as it stands now, this is just a guide on how to "put TF together" before the game starts.

I've "borrowed" all of the skill descriptions from Ereinion, because I don't want to type any of it out myself. Thank you Ereinion.

-=SKILLS=-

Passive - Second Sight
This gives a teamwide +5% critical chance. Great with physical champions and benefits anyone map wide. Starts at 3% at level One.

Q - Wild Card
This ability is your main long range harassment and farming ability. It is a skillshot that sends 3 cards out, 1 in the direction chosen and 1 on each side at approximately a 45 degree angle each. The cards have a pretty decent size making hitting multiple targets easy for farming, as well as being long enough range to get some hits off on an opposing champion. This scales very well with AP and end-game can clear creep waves with one well tossed throw. While creeps are moving down the lane you can throw directly at them and combined with their movement the center card will hit every minion in the line. This is useful for baiting and killing waves without your minions present allowing a good push.

W - Pick a Card
Using this ability starts a "roulette" of 3 cards, red, gold, and blue which do the following:
Blue: Deals extra magic damage, starts the roulette again allowing another card to be picked.
Red: Deals area of effect magic damage with an aoe slow. Damage is slightly more than blue.
Gold: Deals aoe damage (more than red), stuns the chosen target for a short time and deals an aoe slow around the target.

This is your bread and butter, and further down I will explain the choice behind some of the specific items. Basically, you never want a red card, as a gold card does all a red card can, but better. Blue cards can be used to help push down towers, inhibitors, or super creeps, as it can be repeatedly picked over and over again for the duration of the spell.

E - Gate
Gate teleports Twisted to a target location anywhere on the map. It is a 6 second channel and at the target location a fan of cards opens up showing your arrival. If you use your 'R' ability the channel time is halfed to 3 seconds and will allow a quick entrance or exit. The cooldown is very large on this ability and so should be used with discretion if many enemies are missing. The main use of this skill is to teleport to a lane and push the lane by killing creeps (depending on conditions 2 waves is generally good enough, though you can push to a tower if safe) as well as entering a team fight / initiating a gank with your ultimate. With the changes to the cooldown its usage as both an entrance and exit spell is lowered, so be prepared to hoof it if enemies go missing after you recently gated.

R - Destiny
Destiny reveals all enemy champions on the map as well as slowing them. These effects are in the same debuff, so cleanse / any cleanse abilities on champions will remove the vision AND the slow. This also reduces the cast time on your gate to 3 seconds. A very powerful ultimate in my opinion, as it has so many uses including; ganking solo low health players, slowing the enemy for your team to run away, revealing ganks, helping your team catch runners and much more.

-=RUNES=-

Obviously here, if it can be afforded, Tier 3 runes are the way to go. However, not everyone has the luxury of being able to purchase all Tier 3 runes right off the bat. Buy what you can afford.
Also, I don't have a specific calculated "Best" rune build, this is just what I use. I have a life, and as such, could care less about maximizing his rune build to the best it can be.

Attack Speed, CD reduction, Crit Damage, and Crit Chance are what I use, in that order. Be careful here, too much attack speed, and the items you get will push you over the cap, and you have wasted rune slots.

-=SKILL BUILD=-

1. Pick a Card - This can help by stunning any of the neutral monsters right off the bat, or even help with a level One gank.
2. Wild Cards
3. Gate or Wild Cards - This depends on whether or not you are playing a super aggressive lane. If there is a change you could be killed or seriously injured, take this so you can get back to your lane quickly.
4. Gate or Wild Cards - Pick which ever one you didn't pick at level Three
5. Pick a Card
6. Destiny.

From this point on, your priority will be Destiny, Pick a Card, Gate and then finally Wild Cards. The faster gate is leveled, the faster you can have easier map control. Wild Cards is used to harass in the laning phase, but the majority of your damage output will come from your normal attacks and gold card spamming. Wild Cards can be used to finish off a low hit point hero just out of your reach.

-=ITEMS=-

- Start with a Sapphire Crystal and two health potions
- Sheen
- Berserker's Greaves
- Zeal
At this point, the choice is up to you. Your movement speed is quite good, and you should have a pretty good attack speed. If you are being harassed heavily, you should pick either Guardian Angel, or Frozen Heart, depending on what the other team is heavily consisting of. If you are not being harassed, then I suggest either Frozen Mallet or Malady. Frozen Mallet gives some HP, along with more easily delaying your opponent before you can bring up a gold card. Malady gives you insane attack speed and life steal. By the end of the game, I recommend that you pick Malady AND Frozen Mallet, and either Guardian Angel or Frozen Heart. After this, feel free to turn Zeal in to Phantom Dancer. The game shouldn't go that long, but if you are carrying, you could easily have the gold for it.

Madred's Bloodrazer should be picked if you are facing an opponent that would require such an item.

-=MASTERIES=-

Either Offensive or Utiliy. I usually go Utility, but preference is what matters here.

-Offensive-
Deadliness: 3
Archmage's Savvy: 1, for prereq's
Alacrity: 4
Sorcery: 3
Sunder: 3
Brute Force: 3
Lethality: 3
Havoc: 1

Preseverence: 3
Haste: 1 or Good Hands: 1, depends on if you pick Ghost or not.
Expanded Mind: 4
Awareness: 1, the extra XP never hurt anyone :P

-Utility-
Preseverence: 3
Haste: 1 or Good Hands: 1, depends on if you pick Ghost or not.
Expanded Mind: 4
Awareness: 2
Meditation: 3
Quickness: 3
Intelligence: 3
Presence of the Master: 1

Deadliness: 3
Archmage's Savvy: 1, for prereq's
Alacrity: 4
The last point can be put wherever you want. If you use ignite, put it there, Blink of an Eye. Doesn't matter.

-=SUMMONER SPELLS=-

NEVER EVER pick teleport.That's why you have gate.
Cleanse and Ghost are my choice, but again, Flash and Exhaust, or Exhaust and Ignite could also be picked.
Clairvoyance never hurts either. The more map control TF has, the better he is.

This is my first guide, so constructive criticism, or comments are greatly appreciated. Obviously I look forward to improving my TF game play.

Hope you appreciate the guide, and thanks again to Ereinion for unknowingly sharing his skill despcriptions =)

CoVi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2010

Ew please no... sory but the fact that tf can deal more damage with an ap/cdr/magic pen build overall than right clicking means that he's better as an assasin/support/caster, not a DPS.

IN my humble opinion Auto-Atack TF is only better when you can't pick a gold card unleast 2/3 times.

Wappas

01-14-2010

If going physical with TF; you really should make upgrading sheen into Trinity Force a priority. I find the MR boots to be a good choice for him instead of zerkers. After those two items, go for a malady or starks then fill up the res with more damage

Bluff

01-14-2010

Gate is 3 seconds, with Destiny it's 1.5 seconds

Bluff

01-14-2010

Ok here are my TF DPS builds:

Starting Item: Ruby Crystal (almost always, he needs the survivability)

Now I go one of two ways, Banshee Veil or Frozen Mallet

Veil Build:

After veil I get mobility boots, it's great for entering a fight and gold carding.
Sheen -> Triforce
3 BF Swords
Then upgrade each sword and if game is still goin on pick up a PD or Last Whisper

Frozen Mallet Build:
After mallet I get mobility boots
Sheen (no triforce)
3 BF Swords
And PD or last whisper

I've tried not getting a defensive item first and really it's plain to see you have to. Of course if the other team sucks you don't need one, but don't rely on that. The difference in my K/D/A from getting defensive first and getting all attack is grossly different. I almost always get killed in seconds without any defense.

Bluff

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoVi View Post
Ew please no... sory but the fact that tf can deal more damage with an ap/cdr/magic pen build overall than right clicking means that he's better as an assasin/support/caster, not a DPS.

IN my humble opinion Auto-Atack TF is only better when you can't pick a gold card unleast 2/3 times.

This is a situational choice. AP is better Early/Mid and DPS is better late game. I've had a game where I had 400 or so AP and the enemy card was DPS with about 300 dmg. We had farmed and killed about the same. When I would 1v1 him I could do amazing initial damage, but it wouldn't kill him. Then when my spells were CD he would bring my health down so fast it wasnt even funny. You basically have to hit and run over and over for AP to be effective against DPS carries.

Burst damage is nice, but sustained damage makes you more viable.

Maggeus

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff View Post
This is a situational choice. AP is better Early/Mid and DPS is better late game.
That's, again, situational. TF DPS is based mainly on trying to auto attack the most, staying close to your enemies to attack then the most, with helps of your tanks.
TF AP is based mainly on position on the sides or the rear to surprise, combo, running, then trying to recombo again.