[NOOB GUIDE] How to rock Poppy low-mid ELO

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Varmin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2010

This is a physical DPS build for Poppy. She is not a Tank and imo she doesn't scale well enough with AP.

Pre-face:

First off, if you are looking for an amazing/great guide for playing high ELO, premades, and very competitively, you've come to the wrong place.

Second, I myself am at ~50/50 percent Win/Loss, only been playing LoL ~1 week, only level 9, and very much still in noob island. From the new Free Draft of champions this week, Poppy is by far my favorite, managing to always end ~20/5 k/d, and having my team win, while using her. I figured it would be nice to make a guide for noobs, buy a noob.

If you are however a high ELO/ high skilled player and still read my guide, feel free to comment on anything you think would be helpful as I'm sure there are many improvements that can be made on this guide(remember this is geared for newer players such as myself).

Introduction to Poppy:

First and foremost, Poppy is NOT a Tank. Read through her description/classifications and you don't see the word tank anywhere. She is: Stun, Assassin, Tough, Carry, Fighter, Melee.

Poppy however, IS:
-Good at mitigating damage/effects
-Bursty
-Fairly Mobile for a melee
-Good Initiator
-Fun to play ^^

Abilities: (taken from http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Poppy)

Q: Devastating Blow

(Active): Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing base damage plus a flat amount and 8% of her target's max health as bonus damage. The bonus damage cannot exceed a threshold based on rank. Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing attack damage (+0.6) plus 20/60/100/140/180 and 8% of her target's maximum health in bonus damage. The bonus damage dealt cannot exceed 75/150/225/300/375.
Cooldown 8 sec Cost 65/65/65/65/65 Mana Range 600

W:Paragon of Demacia
(Passive): Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased by a flat amount for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 5 times. (Active): Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased for 5 seconds.
Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased by 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5 for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times.
Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased by 17/19/21/23/25% for 5 seconds.
Cooldown 12 sec Cost 60/65/70/75/80 Mana Range 600

E:Heroic Charge
(Active): Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them for a short distance. The initial impact deals a small amount of damage, and if they collide with terrain, her target will take a high amount of damage and be stunned. Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them for a short distance. The initial impact deals 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.4) magic damage. If they collide with terrain, her target takes 75/125/175/225/275 (+0.4) magic damage and will be stunned for 1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5 seconds.
Cooldown 12 sec Cost 50/60/70/80/90 Mana Range 525

R:Diplomatic Immunity
(Active): Poppy focuses intently on a single target, dealing increased damage to them. Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.
For 6/6/6 seconds, Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target. In addition, Poppy's attacks deal 20/30/40% increased damage to the marked target.
Cooldown 140 sec Cost 100/100/100 Mana Range 900

Passive: Valiant Fighter
(Passive): Any damage dealt to Poppy that exceeds 10% of her current health is reduced by 50%. This does not reduce damage from structures.

NOTE: This ability (from what most people claim) only reduces the damage after 10%. Example: Another champion attacks you for 20% of your life. You will still lose 15% of your health. [(20% - 10%) * 50%]

Items:
(Note, this is probably what could use the most suggestions, personally I've been mostly going the +Damage route, the -cooldown route also seems very appealing to me however)

So far this has been working the best for me:

Out the Gate >> Sapphire Crystal + 2x Health Potions
1st Trip Back >> Sheen + Boots of Speed
2nd >> Phage
3rd >> Zeal > Trinity Force
4th >> Mercury's Treads OR Ninja Tabi
If you notice you are often slowed/stunned/etc causing you to die or preventing you from getting kills, I'd grab the Mercury's Treads. Otherwise, grab the Ninja Tabi. (With her W ability + Trinity Force, Boots of Swiftness are basically a waste.)
5th >> B. F. Sword + Vampiric Scepter > The Bloodthirster
6th >> B. F. Sword + Long Sword > The Black Cleaver

Other items of interest (In no particular order):

-Madred's Bloodrazor - If the other team has some beefy tanks, this can end up causing you to hit quite hard, not to mention the armor is nice late-game.
-Nashor's Tooth / Glacial Shroud / Frozen Heart - Your damage is mostly based on your cooldowns, grabbing one of these lategame can be very nice, and if you find yourself constantly low on mana, Shroud/Heart both offer a nice chunk of mana.
-Banshee's Veil - One of my favorite items on most characters, lets you completely ignore a spell thrown at you, once ever 30s. Very good if you find yourself being nuked fairly often, right after Diplomatic Immunity is over.

Summoner Spells:

Flash: Although I don't even have it yet, this spell would be great with poppy for initiating, pop in and charge your target back out in a group gank would be just a small example of it's usefulness.

Exhaust: Since poppy has no natural slows/snares, this complements her very well (especially early game before you build your trinity force)

Teleport: I pick this up on almost any character since I don't have Flash yet, it lets me very quickly go back and buy or refill on mana/health.

Skill-Build:

1>Heroic Charge
2>Paragon of Demacia
3>Devastating Blow

After one of each rank, I generally pick up her abilities in the priority of R>E>Q>W.

Strategy:

Early-game/laning >>
I normally like to be pretty aggressive / harrass with poppy even early game. Most people seem scared of her even at level 1. Save your charges for when your opponent is near your tower and charge him into the tower if you can.

Read the skill of your opponent, if they are sitting there autoattacking, just last attack until he reaches your tower so you can easily attempt ganks, if your opponent/s are only last attacking, you will likely have to play the early-game a bit more defensively and just focus on farming.

Also, don't be afraid to swap targets. Her charge is a very low cooldown. Often vs 2 opponents in a lane, I find I can charge one towards a tower, then I'll chase him off running towards his own tower/safety, all the while his team mate is generally standing still trying to pelt/stop me. My charge will come back off cooldown, letting me peg his teammate, often times getting a gank that way.

Early-Mid-game >>
Don't be afraid to start ganking early. I've often been completely outfarmed early-game, then just go make up for it by feeding off the rest of the team. I've started ganking other lanes as early as level 4-5. Get your Sheen, and EWQ and you can hit quite hard in those early phases.

At level 6 with your ultimate, most opponents aren't used to finding that their tower won't save them at such a low level, use this to your advantage.

Mid-game >>
Lizard/Golem buffs are fairly easy to solo at this point. Make the most of it to enjoy some extra damage/mana/cooldown reduction.
If your opponents are still laning, punish them whenever you can by simply sprinting behind them and pulling them to your teammates. You can likely take most heroes 1v1, and are almost even better at 1v2.

One note, using your ultimate on a player doesn't mean you HAVE to pursue that person. Like the advice in early game, don't tunnel vision, don't be afraid to swap targets. People don't know how to handle a character they can't attack/slow or due anything to and is raping their face in. If your ulti target is running away and you can't catch/snare them, don't waste your ulti being kited, hit one of their teammates and they will be sitting there running for their life and slamming their keyboard trying to get you off of them.

Late-game >>
Because Poppy is a carry, she only gets even better in late-game. Your burst is still bursty even here. You should be in team fights right after a tank, or if no tank then first. If you have teleport, don't be afraid to warp back to your base/teleport back after a teamgank if you need the health to keep the pressure on.

If you controlled mid-game well enough, no one on their team should be overly fed, their team will likely scatter as you approach them, letting you pick off 1 or two, with :W: you will be able to easily get into position for team fights, or go after a lone opponent farming.

Anything Else:

Anything else I forgot or am just wrong about, I'm sure people will quickly point out ^^

Purutzil

01-14-2010

Modesty about your own skill... now I give your guide +1 for that. Most people make guides and don't even really state how well they do. It can often miss lead people into building in a way that is rather bad. So for that I say good job.

One thing I'd like to bring up is the 'highly mobile' aspect. Poppy isn't really the best mobile hero. Sure she has one ability that increases speed but it really just makes her out to be like any other melee hero with their various abilities.

Also you might want to clarify that this is a dps build for poppy. Its not to big of a ditch but it helps to grab more attention if you clarify that aspect so people know what to expect from the guide.

I recommend getting boots earlier in this guide and grab mercury treads/ninja tabi before finishing trinity force. Trinity force is rather costly and getting the boots helps to get away or get to someone to use your E to push them back toward allies or stun them against a wall.

Brokenhope

01-14-2010

I dont know about Trinity force, it would probably be better to get a fully damage item along with Frozen Mallet later.
I have been doing fairly well with:
-Stark's Ferver
-Mobility/Swiftness boots
-Sword of the Occult
-Infinity's Edge
-Frozen Mallet
-Phantom Dance (or what is needed to survive)

it provides 700-1k crits on champs and still allows a slow and survivabilty at 18

Great guide for lower lvls though and I will def look into this build

Maybe try tipping lower lvls on where to best put their masteries no matter how few there are to maximize dmg output and therefore killings

GL and keep working at new guides

Brokenhope

01-14-2010

ok ive just tried sheen and def take that first over starks/lifesteal

godly with poppy

Trux 42

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenhope View Post
ok ive just tried sheen and def take that first over starks/lifesteal

godly with poppy
Here I was about to correct you

First and foremost I think you're over investing in the trinity force. Everything in it helps you don't get me wrong, but it's money that would be better spent elsewhere. The most significant part is the additional 50% on sheen procs, no doubt, but to pay ~2800 (iirc) to flesh that out, I'm not sold and I think the money would be better spent elsewhere.

If you find yourself needing the snare and HP, phage is a solid buy still and you can build it into frozen mallet for guaranteed slow and more hp as it meshes well with both passives. But primarily, if the game is willing, build straight into your damage items (BF sword>thirster/cleaver) to capitalise on your Q+sheen combo.

Your Sheen will still be sitting there when your slots are full in those rare, dragged out games where you get to play with your dream item build, you can up that to trinity force as one of your final items.

It's also important to note that you should not always stick to a single item build, gearing against your opposition is always your best bet and if you're feeling friendly, stark's is awesome.

Varmin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2010

Yeah, I'd definitely keep the Sheen, will try starks and not building the trinity force right away.

Brokenhope

01-14-2010

Mmk i have played a bit more and well like i said b4 sheen is a great early cheap investment for quick dmg, with this i could half shot ppl, but more importantly i wouldnt recommend life steal much on her until late game. build dmg to get great crits that way when u are gettin 800 crits u get a fair amount of health back. i use bloodthirster as my last item, changed from what was up there and sheen instead of starks first, been working wonders for me

only problem i have found so far with poppy is if you use your ulti on Morgana, she can put up spell shield, it tends to dispell it and put the ult on CD, learned that the hard way when i charged in thinking i was protected from the turret
**** you spell shield! lol