[Guide in Progress] The Master of Arms

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bountardos

08-15-2009

The more i play Jax the more i go for 1Q 1W 3E for the first 5 levels. Maxing counterstrike first, leap after and empower last.

Lemmiwynks

08-15-2009

I have been playing Jax for a while now and I personally like to go regrowth ninja then phage then zeal then upgrade to frozen mallet then upgrade to phantom dancer and follow up with bloodthurster

RoarMan

Adjudicator

08-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollerman View Post
Honestly depends on match up. DPS champs call for CS, but I personally took Empower the two times I Jax'ed, mainly because of Veigar/Morgana.

Morgana's freaking stupid by the way, shield makes my leap/empower not hit? Why the heck... while skills should scale with AP, I totally think they should do physical damage D=

Anyway, I like your guides =D They have pictures.
Thank you. And yes, Morgana's shield makes me cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Uprising
oh i find counter strike really useful for laning. I used this guide to make a carry jax and it worked pretty well, but so if you're carrying you should take empower instead of counter strike?
Yea, Counter Strike is a nasty nasty skill.
Again, while carrying with Jax, Counter Strike improves your survivability as well as overall DPS output, compared to Empower which is a mere static boost to your Attack, which you have to wait over time to take complete advantage of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhL
Jax is probably one of the best if not the best physical DPS in the game at this point. A build I recommend going is after the core items Roarman laid out, stacking HP/Armor and buying the item which converts your HP into damage. With the HP + Armor + Dodge, you are basically untouchable near mid-late game. Also an important skill to pick up in the master tree is Nimbleness (Defense) which gives you 10% more movement speed when you dodge. Great guide Roarman
Yea, Jax maybe the only applicable melee DPS hero so far (especially in top tier games.) I haven't really invested in trying different masters (Mostly out of laziness, as I like to play multiple Champions and try to use a balanced build.) And thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobi
I usually max Counter Strike first put one point into empower until late game and the rest into leap strike. Counter strike is just too amazing for ganks to give up. Sure a little time shaved off of the cooldown on leap may be good, but I'll take extra dodge chance and a stun for both ganking and surviving any day of the week over leap.
Interesting concept but I value the CD reduction. It goes from 12-4 seconds fully maxed out, I really think 8 second makes a huge difference, although I should try your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountardos
The more i play Jax the more i go for 1Q 1W 3E for the first 5 levels. Maxing counterstrike first, leap after and empower last.
I prefer never to try and learning 3 skills at once, especially if you're going to keep it at one level I think it's more efficient to pump that point into another skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pysko
I have been playing Jax for a while now and I personally like to go regrowth ninja then phage then zeal then upgrade to frozen mallet then upgrade to phantom dancer and follow up with bloodthurster
Yea, that's pretty much what I use, with the exception that if I can build Frozen Mallet right away I'll take it, as I think the slow is invaluable in the ganking play style.

Ty all for taking the time to read and respond

reziel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2009

I play jax almost exclusively because i lack creativity but also because I really like his playstyle.

I get leap strike first, but then focus on leveling counterstrike, with leap strike as second priority. I don't get empower at all until the latest possible.

My runes are level-scaling Attack Damage runes in red, Vigor HP Regen runes in yellow, and (mostly) mana regen scaling runes in blue, to support a counter-strike spamming playstyle.

I do as most of you have said, regrowth pendant -> ninja tabi -> phage, but then depending on how the game is going, who my teammates are, and what I find myself doing with most of my time, I usually branch out in one of two ways:

Frozen mallet -> Zeal -> Phantom Dancer
Zeal -> Phantom Dancer -> Bloodthirster

I'm no pro so don't take any of this as anything remotely resembling gospel.

But, here are a few "protips" (lol) that I think the new/average Jax player won't know/realize:

My summoner abilities are exhaust (improved) and boost. Boost because of how being snared as Jax is a terrible thing, so you get good usage out of both aspects of it. Exhaust because it helps you land an early game (lvl 1 - 4) kill on someone who is too careless, and doesn't stop being useful later on.

Enemy minions are your friends. When pursuing an enemy champion, nothing helps you stick to them like glue more than a bunch of piddly minion hits to dodge so you can spam counterstrike. And they do it automatically for you the moment you hit the opposing champion to boot! How nice of them!

This is why my masteries are mostly into defensive. Magic minions hit me for 8-9, which is barely noticeably when there's only one or two of them, and Melee minions hit me for 2-3; I can pretty much ignore them entirely. Between that and Nimbleness (which is naturally fitting for Jax, given your huge dodge rate built into your character + phantom dancer), minions attacking you are a good thing when pursuing a champ.

Also, Jax tends to work better in a lane with someone else from my experience, whether it's someone who can snare well (i.e. veigar) or just another potent melee DPS that, ideally, is tougher to kill than you. For example, many times I will go in, take some damage while we both beat on someone, then run away while they continue to try and kill me. I then leap back in to help land the kill after they switch (if they switch) to my teammate, and counterstrike as soon as I land. A big part of playing Jax in my opinion is knowing the value of running away. As Jax you can get into the action almost instantly any time you want, but always remember running away is much more difficult. Leap Strike is not a teleport, and it is not as versatile as Tristana's jump.

I hope some of this has been helpful to someone.

RoarMan

Adjudicator

08-21-2009

The tips are nice reziel. Would probably offer insight to beginner Jax players.

Guide has been updated for the 8/18/09 patch.

Firefly

08-22-2009

I think Jax is played way to much, about every game iv played there has been a Jax on either team :S

Snig

08-22-2009

I play jax a ton and agree with most of what you said.

I want to reiterate that you don't buy Q unless you have nothing else left to buy.

Also you are missing an item I always buy, every game. After my boots and phage, before frozen mallet usually.

Sheen: 1260 gp, 250 mana, 25 ability power,
100% chance when an ability is used that your next attack deals 100% extra base damage. This ability has a 3 second cooldown.

The mana and ability power are great too, ability power is excellent for Jax's ult and his leap strike and his warstomp.

Snig.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

08-22-2009

Glad to see someone else came up with the idea of Sheen Jax too! It's an absolutely amazing item for him, shocked it's not in every guide. He can get a proc every cooldown using a maxed leapstrike or a single level of empower. Guaranteed crits that can crit!

Bean

08-24-2009

That Sheen is actually an interesting idea. I may try that one...

bountardos

08-24-2009

Many people are confused about sheen / Lichbane i think, that's why you don't see it that much. Although it's only base damage, not boosted by damage items (wich are so efficient on jax), so it's not really a guaranted crit, but extra damage it is, and with relatively low CD's on Jax abilitys, it's a great item to get.