[guide] Nassus: Mans best friend

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quizcotle

01-14-2010

Nasus originaly appealed to me purely because of aesthetics. In other words he looked hawt. So far I've played 85~ wins with him and lost around 60~ soo 145~ games. I've tried all the guides i can find on the forums and on lolwiki (which is all the guides on the forums...) and they all seem to be good starting areas for me but I feel I have evolved from them. And i dont boast that playing nasus will win games but if you and you're team are good (ei no feeders) than you're chances are signifigantly higher ;D

--------------------------------------------------

I'll start with skillz, what they do and how to use them but not exact stats (save a few) since those are bound to change....maybeh....at some time. At the end of this guide I will also speak my mind on some changes to skills that if nothing else should be looked at.

-Q, siphon strike: next attack does bonus damage and last hits give permanent bonus damage.
--Currently this ability is basicly the bread and butter of nasus, if you are confident in you last hitting you will have no problem getting this skill up to par. I personaly feel that i am quite bad at last hitting but if you are going with a dps build it will quickly become much easier to last hit (as you will be able to siphon for 300~ w/out crits). I try every game to get these last hits but it definitely is not a priority in my game. I have played games where i just run in circles around every creep wave and farm siphon strikes (dps builds mainly) and getting up to +250 damage is fun (and can only really be done in very long games) what the side effects of this are though, is that 1. You are not with you're team and 2. You are grinding very very slowly making #1 even worse. That being said don't skimp out on Q but remember that grinding the damage buff is not game winning and can cause problems. Also Q crits are can get up to 1k+ damage on a very spamable abiltiy.

-W, wither: slows the targets movement and attack speed by a % (35 atm) and decreases it further over time.
--This spell is you're life line, w/out it you are as good as dead and with it almost no one can escape you. this spell as of now allows you to get (for about .001 seconds ;p) 100% movement/attack speed reduction. I will say that I don't know exactly how this % stacks with items and runes but at rank 5 I've never seen anyone move very much by the last few seconds. This is however a spell with some stats to keep in mind. As of now this spell casts 100 mana every rank this makes it bad for mana early game and OK late game just keep in mind that this is an expensive spell and not one you should spam no matter how much you love seeing people squirm.
--Also, as with many spells that don't deal damage, you will not aggro the towers by casting this spell so you can keep people away while you beet their tower or slow them for a tower dive w/out worry of early tower damage.

-E, spirit fire: causes and area of ground to deal damage over time for a duration (not listed o0o0o0) and lowers armor (for an unlisted time o0o0o0) to any enemy in it's radius.
This spell is where the money is at. If lvl'd as priority at lvl 3 this spell will be able to kill castor creeps for a few waves and each lvl after for quite a while. Pushing/farming and early game light harassing is really the only good point of this spell BUT those are very good points. The armor debuff can help in group fights but the other team will likely move out of it or it simply wont make much of a difference. Something definitely to keep in mind is that spirit fire CAN rarely be used to kill 1-2% health champs running and is awesome when it does.
--Something to keep in mind is that this spell is actually cheaper than W on lvls 1&2 and = on 3 so again W should not be spammed, but even more so do not W+E or E+W unless there is a gank happening you will lose precious mana that could be spent on more E and E=money
--Another thing is that spirit fire is fairly weak early game but I will talk more about this later.

-R, furry of the sands: Nasus becomes big gaining additional life, dealing small% damage in an aoe around him and converting that damage into attack damage for himself.
--So this ultimate is scary, so scary that it can ruin a gank, what im trying to say is don't let this go to early the cd is about med-long imo so it should generally be up when you need it but you don't want it to run out when you need it. Though im not very good at this 'cause I'm trigger happy, it is advised to pop this at 1/2 health or even 1/4 health if you are feeling confident.
Something that I have noticed is that the attack power bonus that you receive is fairly piddly so don't rely on it to help that much.
Also do not run screaming into a group of enemies just because one of them has 8% health and you know you can widdle it away for the kill with yer ult. Odds are you will be stunned or they will flash away and you will die. there have also been times when I go chasing someone and for some reason even though I am standing next to them they are taking no damage. I think that being knocked into the air causes the aoe to deal no damage but i have not tested this.

-Passive, soul eater: grants 10,15,20% life steal.
--I love this and it is because of this that I rarely buy any life steal at all, at lvl 15 that is equivilent to having a starks life steal buff on at all times. not to say that more life steal is not good but I don't like to put money into areas I don't "need" it. So with life steal out of the way so too are a lot of choices I no longer have to make when it comes to items.

-----------------------------------------

Now will be summoner spells

-I can tell you now that you should never ever leave home without cleanse, cleanse is no longer op with the nerf BUT cleanse is definitely still a must take for this champion without it he is dead.
-the second spell really is up to you I've even considered taking revive but i just cant bring myself to do it since I tend to not die very much at all. But my favorite spell to take is improved exhaust, when i don't blow it and cast both wither and exhaust at the same time, one right after the other is done makes me want to j*** in my pants T.T
-The ones I'd steer clear of are ignite and smite ignite just does not help as much as the others and you do not need help farming. You may consider taking smite if you are jungling but that is the only time you should.

Runes

I will admit that i do not have the resources to try out all the rune combinations. what i have now are crit reds, health/lvl yellows and cool down blues. I had armor pen origionaly in red but siphon crits are just awesome. Crit damage may also be a good buy but I havn't gotten around to buying any to try them out.

Masteries

I generaly run 9/21/0 or 21/9/0 but i rarely put anything into utility but the increased mana regen and cd reduction may be worth it to some people and i am not here to stop you :P

------------------------------------------------

Types of Nasus

-1. the tank
--mekis>chalice
--boots (ninja or mercury's)
--then i always look for what is going to be doing the most damage and counter it.

*If spell heavy carry (anny)
--banshee's veil
--force of nature
-- from here search for secondary priority dps and focus on either warmogs or countering them. Thornamil may be good here but a frozen heart is probably what i would get here.

*If it's a pure damage carry (yi/kat)
--thornmail
--frozen heart.
--again search for secondaries or go for warmogs

*If there is no one legitimately rending faces to counter
--straight for warmogs, since grinding kills iz no problem
--sunfire/frozen heart/banshees veil
I usualy get a veil because this will protect nasus from the nasty stuff that likes to kill him (stunz/slowz) and you will still have cleanse up (or it will save you when you're cleanse is down)
Don't forget that you're chalice has a bit of magic resist on it so it helps in this role greatly.

-tank skill build iz:
W
E
Q
E
E
R
E
W
max e and w then q last since you will want to be spamming E for money and W for chases/running away
*I take wither first because spirit fire does not deal ground breaking damage on ranks 1 or 2 and siphon is near usless at lvl 1, but wither will allow you to survive or even gank up to lvl 2 where you can then get E or Q

-2. the face pounder
--meki's>chalice
--mercury's
--Sheen>triforce
**BF sword or last wisper if funds are present
--infinity edge/phantom dancer
--infinity edge/phantom dancer
--here can be anything I would go for either banshee's veil or madreds blood razor if there's tank trouble though if you have last wisper you may be done.
The bf sword is 1850g so if you have the funds you should buy it so you dont find yourself without the money to buy it later

-pounder skillz build:
W
E
Q
E
E
R
E
Q
dont worry about maxing W. lvl3 spirit fire will soften the creeps up for you to last hit with siphon and increasing ranks of q will make the last hits easier to get. though lvling E when you can is still prefered.
wither is still viable on lvl 1 so dont worry about not lvling it. this will also suprize opponents who sudenly are moving much slower with late game withers

-----------------------------------------

-Early game: Dont be afraid to solo mid, if you do just play it safe until you get to rank 3 spirit fire (you will want to take spirit fire first and lvl it as fast as possible skipping wither or Q) and you will be able to push creeps very efficiently. I always buy a mekis and 2potions of whatever I think I will need (mana if soloing).
-- In the first 6 lvls the goal is to stay in the lane, not die and to, at lvl 6 blue pill and buy yer chalice and boots. You do this by taking wither first not spaming it and knowing that spaming spirit fire at rank 1 and 2 will not get you many killing blows but will leave you dry when you need mana to wither/save your life. taking 2 mana pots can help with this but will leave you with no health should you get ganked and survive. Now you can start buying the fun items.
--Also at around this time between lvl 7-8 for me you can get the golem buff pretty easily and if you find the time to do so (for me i just need to remember >.<) it is definitely worth getting so you can spam you're expensive spells without thinking and get max cd reduction ftmp

Tank mid-late game:

-At this point you probably aren't yet a viable initiator because you only have you're boots and cup but don't worry if you're team is willing you can still initiate but you should probably come in from the side of the fight so you can wither effectively. Nothing hurts more than an enemy running half way back to the tower then getting wither on em and being able to make it all the way before the full effect kicks in. as far as the gear goes you will need to watch the board and see what you will need to buy.
--Now some people swear by hearts of gold, I personally very rarely take them because the money it takes to build them and the extra money earned from them and then selling them could have gone to an item that has much more presence and will help the group much more than greed and stacking them I never do, I have tried it and Nassus doesn't need help farming money.
--As tanky Nassus dont worry too much if you only have +30~ siphon bonus thats not what you are there for, you are there to hurt with you're aoe ult, wither runners and chasers and pop the aoe in the middle of it all. Don't forget about the natural life steal though it's not going to help a crazy amount it will help.

Face pounder game:

-Mid-Late game: now you are saving up for you're sheen/trinityforce. nasus is not the best ganker before any towers go down, so keep pushing a lane, grinding money and last hitting with Q until one goes down and then you will have enough room to make wither really work. keep getting last hits, crit with Q and don't die. That may seem obvious but Nassus has absolutely no escape mechanism vs more than 1 or 2 people so you have to be very careful when alone and make sure to watch the map.
--Nassus is naturally designed to be a tank, it doesn't even say fighter in his bio BUT he can hurt really really bad and it will be funny when you go full dps the other team thinks you are the tank and ignore you ;p but if not let the tank you hopefully have (cuz if you dont have a tank you have a made a terrible error),snag people with W and beet in their faces

Now some time for me and the abilities

I feel that siphon strikes needs a bit of a buff i dont have any good ideas on how to do this because +3per kill sound a little op but maybe +2.5 per kill *shrug*

Wither is cool, the only thing i would consider even thinking about is maybe converting the taken movement and giving it to Nassus. of course this would have to be reworked or it would be op but it would really help with his zero flee tactics.

Spirit fire is good nuf said

If nothing else i would like to see his ult's tooltip redone so that we can know exactly how much damage is converted to attack power because currently it is very missleading.

Thanks for reading it was fun writing and I Xmyfingers that people will get somethin' outa this

Hyfe

01-14-2010

The poor/inconvenient formatting (presenting your item builds in the form of a list rather than in the midst of a vast paragraph is always a good start) of your guide has caused it to be overlooked, and the fact that you spelled Nasus wrong in the title means your thread wont show up in forum searches and so will be overlooked for all of eternity after it drops off the first few pages.

Btw with trinity I siphon strike for greater than 1k damage, so if you think the spell isn't that good or needs a rework you are smoking crack. Your item builds are pretty good.

Quizcotle

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyfe View Post
The poor/inconvenient formatting (presenting your item builds in the form of a list rather than in the midst of a vast paragraph is always a good start) of your guide has caused it to be overlooked, and the fact that you spelled Nasus wrong in the title means your thread wont show up in forum searches and so will be overlooked for all of eternity after it drops off the first few pages.

Btw with trinity I siphon strike for greater than 1k damage, so if you think the spell isn't that good or needs a rework you are smoking crack. Your item builds are pretty good.

thanks for the input, though it hurt at first DX, it allowed me to make the guide much beter imo. I also can't seem to change the title >.<

Hyfe

01-14-2010

Looks better.

Your tank build is pretty spot on. A lot of people advocate Aegis also. Warmogs if you really want to be straight tank.

I basically do the best of both worlds though. I start with sheen and then do just what you described in your tank build: banshees for caster heavy or frozen heart and maybe thorn mail if facing dpsers like Yi, then Starks, Sheen -> trinity, and usually a sunfire cape. Always merc treads.

This gives me the ability to tank very decently which is especially important in your ult, as well as put out large amounts of damage with my siphoning strike, which I focus on leveling heavily. Go after the golems so you can spam SF as much as possible to farm up that gold.

I go cleanse and either rally or TP depending on if theres another rally on the team. 0/21/9

Good guide over all, lots of good info.