Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

LF High ELO Shen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tidus2005

01-22-2011

I am looking for some high ELO rated Shen players. I have found 10 or 12 guides for playing Shen, but they vary greatly I am looking to main a tank Shen and really would like to know what runes and masteries higher rated players use before i go out and buy a bunch of useless runes based on the advice of some unranked player. My thought are either HP/level or Engery Regen/Level yellow and Magic Resist/Level Blues and probably Magic Pen Reds but i don't have a full set of any of those except the HP/Level Yellows.

RaginHomoSapien

Recruiter

01-22-2011

9/21/0

magic pen red
hp/level yellow
magic resist blue
flat hp quints

core items
dorans shield + health pot
mercury treads or boots of mobility
aegis of legion
warmogs armor

counter magic
force of nature
banshees veil
abyssal scepter

counter physical
randuins omen
thorn mail
sunfire

vorpal blade
dash
vorpal blade
feint
vorpal blade
ultimate
dash
feint
dash
dash
ultimate

Tidus2005

01-22-2011

can i ask why the extra magic pen from attack materies? i go 1/21/8 for mine. Also i found that getting a warmogs is really ineffective because shen doesn't farm well. For counter magic i usually go with a quicksilver sash because i love the on use part of it. and it is good magic resist.

Tokinatoor

01-22-2011

Shen farms like a MOFO with Vorpal + Ki
I see most people level vorpal first, feint then dash

manisier

01-22-2011

leaving vorpal at 2 or 3 is an option if you want to max dash quickly. most high level shens i see max dash quickly.

Mephew

01-22-2011

I use the same exact ruins as RaginHomoSapian, which is wierd because i thought of these myself through trial and error. I began with + energy runes but it's better to get magic ress since there are few items that shen can benefit from MR. Here is a build that is good if the game is going well in the beginning.
Start with Null-Magic Mantle with 2 health pots(if enemy has enemies with magic dmg or plenty of stuns or slows.
Go for Sunfire Cape if u have trouble farming, it'll give u armor and health, which will be usefull for late game farming where there could be a large group of creeps for you to grab.

Then go for warmogs, sunfire cape will get you those kills faster.

Get both but choose which first depending on who you're playing against:

Force of nature would increase your regen and movement along with giving you a large boost in MR.
--and--
Randuin's Omen will give health and armor, but place it on a slot were it will be comfortable for you to press a hotkey to use it's unique active

Getting gaurdian angel next would make u survive an large team fight giving u armor and magic ress.

-Next are optional but some ideas-

You can get Hexdrinker if you are dealing with spell casters

You can sell sunfire cape and get atma's impaler if you want damage and warmogs is full since late game 40 damage per sec really isn't much. Or you can get Thornmail, but the damage back may be pointless if they do little damage to you. Your call.

--If the game is going really well in the beginning or you know what you're doing, you can get leviathan with or without Warmog and have a **** load of health, have high armor/Magic ress and -%15 damage taken +3.5% of your health for your passive +dmg from your health with atma's implaer if you get it.

*note* I had this build (without leviathan) and I was surviving ganks long enough for team mates to get to me. It is actually risky to make this build but if you get to it, you should do fine.

Larson McMurphy

01-22-2011

Quote:
Mephew:
but the damage back may be pointless if they do little damage to you.

Thornmail returns damage pre-mitigation.

Tidus2005

01-22-2011

I can not check your guys stats so what kind of win % do you have as shen in ranked because raginhomosapien has only 30 ranked games played and shen isn't even listed on his ranked champions. I don't think i would ever get a warmogs on any char in a ranked game except maybe mundo or garen due to the way they seem to be played is different from normal games. as for skills i always max dash first because i am not there to deal damage i am there to taunt the enemies. vorpal blade is used for last hitting.

Burbinator

01-22-2011

Quote:
Larson McMurphy:
Thornmail returns damage pre-mitigation.

wtf he's right, who downvoted?

tidus: 69% w/l with shen at 1595 elo (sadly dropped from 1630 and haven't had time to play ranked recently). I don't have TOO many games in ranked total, but he's my most played.
and yes, warmogs is bad.

what to level as shen is always situational. IMO you always get vorpal high (at least level 3 if not max) first. This lets you and your partner heal in lane and is your main form of harassment (do not last with it unless you really need to, no reason not to last hit with normal attacks and save energy for harassment). Heal isn't much but over the course of the entire laning phase, it really adds up and energy is essentially "free" for shen compared to mana from another champ. Always always get a point in taunt at level 2, however if you are against heavy harass champs (zilean, vlad) probably a good idea to level up feint.

I personally prefer maxing vorpal > taunt > ult > feint if i'm farming well and am tanky enough already. God knows you wont have enough mana to spam all 3 in a teamfight. Feint is most useful late game when your vorpal does pitiful damage (no mpen or ap items) and thats when it starts getting skilled. All IMO, there are valid reasons for getting feint certainly.

item build, i almost always go dorans -> boots1 -> aegis, then situational. HoG if i'm not farming very well or laning with someone who needs the farm instead (baby sitting a carry for instance). Typically i like getting giants belt for eventual sunfires. Aegis + mercs treads already gives you 100+ MR, and all other things being equal (equal spread of damage on the other team, that is), you prioritize armor (for absorbing minion aggro, dragon, baron, and especially for tower diving). The area damage from sunfires is great in extended teamfights. Otherwise, i grab a negatron cloak and build into either FoN or banshees. SV is also pretty good on shen for cdr, health, and mr, i would get that as an early item after aegis if they are heavily focused on AP.

edit: the reason warmogs is bad is that it's almost always more cost effective to get resists rather than straight health. A lot of items combine both, so there's hardly ever any reason warmogs would be a better buy. True damage champs, or if there's an aura whoring taric on your team perhaps? Especially when you consider that if you use feint, shen's damage mitigation skill, the damage shield scales off of resists (Treated as temporary health) and so getting resists will synergize more with that skill. Warmogs would be cost effective if maybe you were playing rammus, who gets tons of armor/resist from his w... but even then it's really not cost effective for all the other possible items you could get. It isn't the worst item in the game but really never one you prioritize for a tank.

Tidus2005

01-22-2011

would you think it is a bad idea to go cloth armor (part of HoG) a HP pot or two and a ward because I find a lot of games that have junglers on the other team is why my team gets ganked early i think the wards might help early map awareness.