[Guide] - Poppy "The Midget Linebacker" (Hybrid)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Universalis

01-19-2010

Poppy is a really fun champ, and I always enjoy playing with her. My 3 first items are always boots(depending which ones), Trinity force and Starks,and they work really well for me. What do you think the next item should be if non-tank oriented? Rylai? Infinity? I really like Guinsoo btw, and maybe works better than both Rylai and Infinity...

VoiceofTreason

01-24-2010

It is a shame this discussion is all over the place and not one reply has stated the quality of the build. I am not going to change my runes/masteries (they are somewhat similar to yours) but I will try your tank item build next time I am the only tank-like. I'll let you know.

One aspect that isnt emphasized here as much as it should be is move speed. Poppy does so much better when she is quick. Her charge is greatly under emphasized as well. Sure dev blow is well... devastating but a charge into a wall from good postion followed by a dev blow is well over half life on much champs I hit. Charge/sheen proc (stun), dev blow sheen proc, dem aura sheen proc, ulti if running to turret sheen proc, then dev blow is up again :P Not a good 1v1????

But you are right my friend by going dodge, it is much better than focusing armor or even magic resist. And can give you the above mentioned move boost.

A real nasty combo team was me as poppy and a random guy playing Zilean that decide to keep increasing my move speed, it demolished people.

VoiceofTreason

01-25-2010

I went to this hp build when I was the only tank on my team. I gotta say it is pretty strong. I meant to take a screen shot but you'll have to take my word that I went 10/7/9 vs a really good team. I never go health regen with poppy first, I would have to say that is the biggest reason I did well this game.

Jimmyjames

01-29-2010

IMO you need tiamat to farm and push a lane. maybe sunfire cloak, but i think tiamat is just better. i suppose if the team is very caster heavy the MR would be welcome on the sunfire

Klaste

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-13-2010

Bumping, I know, but whatever. First time I tried this build was the first time I've tried Poppy. So I fed, terribly. Second game my team won, with me carrying, 24/0/12, or something like that. It was insane. Then I lost a few in a row after that, and started messing with the item build.

At the time of writing this, poppy's passive is nerfed to 30% reduction instead of 50%, so the low-life tanking argument is quashed a bit, though I still agreed with the high HP more.

I'm not completely sure on my opinion on Ages, it's an expensive item to try to get early on, and I usually suffer saving up for it. I've found it best to start with Regrowth, then get Leviathan if I'm not dying at all - Dependent on skill, luck, and lane partner, of course. Ideally after playing the build enough you'd learn to not die, so the item would be worth it. Anyways.

Leviathan is cheap at ~1200, with an initial HP boost of 180, fairly low, but going up to 840 if you can manage to get 20 stacks. And of course, the more stacks you have the easier it is to keep them (gaining them shouldn't be an issue, even if you don't get kills you'll get assists), and if you manage to max it, you get a 15% reduction to ALL DAMAGE RECEIVED. Quite a powerful little item for just 1200.

From here is where I have issues. I think the best thing here is boots - boots are ALWAYS an item I change up depending on who my enemies are - if I'm facing a lot of slows, I take murcury's, if its physical DPS (and I'm taking a beating) tabi, if I'm confident and doing decent, swiftness (I've been leaving out flash, so that helps a ton with positioning).

I think, after listening to people and reading comments, I'll stuff in a sheen before, during, or after the boots.

Next, I would prefer Warmog's over anything else - early gives it more time to grow - but I have huge issues with income by this point. I'm debating a sunfire, to help lasthit minions and players. The sheen might make enough of a difference that I don't need it, though.

Anyways, after Warmog it would be either Rylai's or Frozen Mallet - both serve the same purpose, damage and HP - AD would apply on the autoattack and Q (once with the attack and once with Sheen), so +80 damage if timed right - Rylai's would add 80 AP, which would apply three times - Twice on charge and once on Devastating Blow. Course, its a moot point if I can keep the lizard buff and/or they suck at running.

After allll that I'd get atma's, but by then it would be icing on the cake because the game would be over, unless I improve my income drastically.

P.S. I've thought about throwing in gold generating items early, but I just have too many growth items as it is. Philosopher's stone really isn't bad though - good HP and Mana regen, pays for itself (~half hour if you sell it, hour if you dont) - only negative being you no longer save 475 on your Warmog's. Since I have huge mana issues early on though...

Anyways im rambling. What do you guys think?

Killroth

04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryMofo View Post
There is no such thing as a "tank" in LoL.
Oh yes there is.

Pachapapa

06-20-2010

thanks alot for the guide. its exacly how poppy should be played!

Vaanelo

06-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchy View Post
If you get hit for 1000 (veigars ult) with 4000 current health, the first 400 will hit you for 400, and since the rest was the part over 10% (400), it would be reduced by 50%, which means you would take 600x.5 +400 for a total of 700 damage.

If you get hit for 1000 (veigars ult) with 2000 current health, the first 200 will hit for full damage while the rest would be reduced, for a total of 600 damage taken.

No..... then you would be taking the damage twice, and your calculation is wrong it would be 600 not 700. The 10% of poppy's health has nothing to do with the damage she will receive, it is just a rule for the "actual" damage she will receive.

If the damage is 1000 and poppy's health is 3000 and clearly that it is more than 10% of poppy's health which is 300(300 has nothing to do with the damage poppy will receive). Then 1000 gets reduced to 500 damage in which poppy will take(50% reduction passive). So in the end, poppy will receive 500 damage and have 2500 health left.

That's it. This is a simple calculation, you guys got so confused...... XD

ChrisH

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2010

Vaanelo you are wrong, the first portion of the damage that is 10% of your current life goes through unreduced and the 50% is taken off of the remaining damage.

reverseshades

07-16-2010

If you have 4k HP verses 2k Hp, Last time i checked 4k is HIGHER than 2k, Her passive is better at 4k because you have the whole 2-4k Bonus Plus all the passive procs when 2k or lower as if you didnt build hp.

However in all of that ofc your armor applies first.