[Guide] - Poppy "The Midget Linebacker" (Hybrid)

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CalveenKush

01-14-2010

POPPY: The best of all the hybrids (Opinion)

--------The Pregame:

Runes: Runes are difficult with this hero, especially marks. I find that she can be good with health runes early, critical damage, or critical strike. The health runes will make you unstoppable early and allow you to be extra aggressive. With that being said this is how i generally rune her

-------Marks:
Critical Damaged (Greater Mark of Furor) Although this might not look good in the beginning of the game they start to take notice towards the end of the build. You'll see around 500-600 crits with physical attacks after you obtain your Atma's Impaler. I know those aren't the most amazing crits but i find runes expensive and they work on her.

--------Seals:
Dodge Chance (Greater Seal of Evasion) She is a tank/dps. The name of the game is speed with her. Whether you are trying to slow them down or keep up, you want to be on their tail so you may Devastating Blow them whenever the cooldown is up. Of course in order for these runes to be excellent, you must spec for Nimbleness (Increases your movement speed for 5 secs after dodging an attack.)

--------Glyphs:

Cooldown Reduction (Greater Glyph of Focus) Devastating blow is on a 4 second cooldown, but what if it was on a 3.5 sec cooldown. These glyphs allow you to cast your stun and your nuke a lot more often. That extra half second makes a big difference in team battles.

---------Masteries:
I recommend 21/9/0. The only thing i can say is that Nimbleness is your best friends.

Offense Tree:
Deadliness (3)
Cripple (1)
Archmage's Savvy (2) Credit to Vman7
Sorcery (3) Cooldown reduction should not be overlooked on her
Archaic Knowledge (1) Credit to Vman7 *Spell penetration allows your Devastating Blow to hit harder*
Sunder (3)
Brute Force (3)
Lethality (3)
Havoc (1)

Defense Tree:
Hardiness (1) Your armor gets less effective the more of it you have. With Paragon of Demencia you don't need anymore. Get the -----------------------------resistance instead.
Resistance (3)
Evasion (4)
Nimbleness (1)

----------Summoner Spells:

I found that flash and exhaust work the best.

Flash is probably the most important. A couple of good tactics i found that work well is the old Alistar trick. You know the one i'm talking about; when they are next to the tower you flash behind them and headbutt them into the tower, well i think hers is better. If you can pull it off correctly you can flash behind them Heroic Charge them right into the tower structure. This counts as a collision. They are stunned for 1.5 secs with tower beating on them and you throwing Devastating Blows all over them. Its pretty much death if it happens early game.

Another good tactic is to flash next to them and Heroic Charge them into a wall.

Exhaust comes in handy because it allows you to get at least one more Devastating Blow off.

-------Skills:

Valiant Fighter: Any damage dealt to Poppy that exceeds 10% of her current health is reduced by 50%. This does not reduce damage from structures. (This is an amazing passive. Poppy starts with 504 health. What is 10% 504..... 50. You do the math. And it doesn't say max health, its current health. )

Devastating Blow: Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing attack damage plus a flat amount and 8% of her target's max health as bonus damage. The bonus damage cannot exceed a threshold based on rank.
Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing attack damage (+0.6) plus 20/60/100/140/180 and 8% of her target's maximum health in bonus damage. The bonus damage dealt cannot exceed 75/150/225/300/375.

Cooldown 8 seconds

Cost 65/65/65/65/65 Mana

Range 600

Paragon of Demencia: Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times. Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased for 5 seconds.
Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased by 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5 for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times.

Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased by 17/19/21/23/25% for 5 seconds.

Cooldown 12 seconds

Cost 60/65/70/75/80 Mana

Range 600

Heroic Charge: Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them further. The initial impact deals a small amount of damage, and if they collide with terrain, her target will take a high amount of damage and be stunned.
Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them for a short distance. The initial impact deals 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.4) magic damage. If they collide with terrain, her target takes 75/125/175/225/275 (+0.4) magic damage and will be stunned for 1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5 seconds.

Cooldown 12 seconds

Cost 50/60/70/80/90 Mana

Range 525

Diplomatic Immunity: Poppy focuses intently on a single target, dealing increased damage to them. Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.
For 6/6/6 seconds, Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.
In addition, Poppy's attacks deal 20/30/40% increased damage to the marked target.

Cooldown 140 seconds

Cost 100/100/100 Mana

Range 900

-------Skill Build:

1. Heroic Charge
2. Devastating Blow
3. Paragon of Demancia
4. Devastating Blow
5. Devastating Blow
6. Diplomatic Immunity
7. Devastating Blow
8. Heroic Charge
9. Devastating Blow
10. Heroic Charge
11. Diplomatic Immunity
12. Heroic Charge
13. Heroic Charge
14. Paragon of Demancia
15. Paragon of Demancia
16. Diplomatic Immunity
17. Paragon of Demancia
18. Paragon of Demancia

Reasoning:

Getting level 1 Heroic Charge is a must. It does good damage at rank 1 and it stuns the target. This will allow your lane partner to move on them and hopefully get a level 1 kill.

Devastating Blow should be leveled ASAP because it is her nuke and its on a very short cooldown. At rank 5 Devastating Blow is on a 4 sec cooldown. With sorcery it goes to 3.88. This is a very powerful spell. I like to think of it like Annie's Disintegrate. Use it as soon as its up. In team battles i spam Q just so i don't miss a tenth of a second on the cooldown. You really need to rely on the attack because your auto attacks don't do a whole lot until after the Atma's.

One rank of Paragon of Demancia is all you need in the early game. It gives you 17% movement speed at rank 1 and normally that will allow you to catch any enemy until late game. The armor and attack bonus is good, but i would prefer to get kills early them be a straight tank all game, and usually the attack speed isn't good enough to match the damage of a Devastating Blow

Leveling Heroic Charge after Devastating Blow is good for the damage. I've seen people just use rank one of Heroic Charge and level Paragon of Demancia instead and they do alright. They are fast and have armor but they don't get a lot of kills early. If you have a lot of good carries then maybe this is the route for you, but my Poppy carries and tanks.

----------Item Build:

This build is very strong and plays to her strengths. I know there are many ways to build her and maybe this isn't the best build for every situation but it is my favorite and it consistently show results.

Starting Item: Regrowth Pendent (+14 Health Regen per 5 sec)

Good health regen early. It allows for aggressive playing early as long as you stay a bit cautious and don't over exert yourself.

1. Catalyst the Protector (+290 Health +325 Mana Passive: Restores 300 Health and 250 Mana upon leveling up.) or Sheen (+250 Mana +25 Ability Power UNIQUE Passive: 100% chance when an ability is used that your next physical attack deals 100% extra base damage. This effect has a 3 second cooldown.)

Choose which item to get depending on who you are laning against. If you are dominating, go for the sheen for more dominating Devastating Blows. If you are struggling to stay a live get you Catalyst the Protector.

2. Catalyst the Protector or Sheen

What you didn't get in step 1 finish in this step

3 Rod of Ages (+380 Health +425 Mana +50 Ability Power Passive: Your Champion gains 18 Health, 20 Mana, and 2 Ability Power every 1 min. Bonuses cap at +270 Health, +300 Mana, and +30 Ability Power.)

Allows for mild tanking but gives AP. This makes your Devastating Blow and Heroic Charge hit harder. The health is very important to this build and you'll see why.

4. Boots of some kind. I generally pick Ninja Tabi because it is great with Nimbleness and tanking but you might need Mercury's Treads if they have a lot of cc.

5. Rylai's Scepter (+500 Health +80 Ability Power Passive: Dealing spell damage slows the target's movement speed by 35% for 2 seconds (15% for multi-target spells).)

Omg this is item is amazing. Heres the deal, Devastating Blow slows now for 2 secs if you are Paragon of Demancia you'll get auto attacks inbetween the Devasting Blow cycles. If your heroic charge fails to stun the target they are still slowed for 2s. If this happens and you know you cannot kill them without your team i would recommend waiting 2 seconds before using your Devastating Blow to allow the max time possible for your team to catch up. When you complete this item you should have between 2600-3000 health which brings us to our next item....

6. Atma's Impaler (+45 Armor +18% Critical Strike UNIQUE Passive: Physical attacks deal an additional 2% of your max Health in damage.)

At this point your Devastating Blow should be massacring people. If you have 3k health you will get +60 attack power. Combine this with your AP and your Devastating Blow you should be taking 1/3 to 1/2 of the squooshies health and about a 1/4 of the tanks, when your ult is active. (Remember 4 sec cooldown and your charge does good damage... no joke)

7. Warmong's Armor (+770 Health +30 Health Regen per 5 sec Passive: Permanently gain 3.6 Health and .5 Health Regen per 5 sec per minion kill. Champion kills grant 36 Health and 5 Health Regen per 5 sec. Bonuses cap at +450 Health, and +62.5 Health Regen per 5.)

At this point I'd just stack health. You get more attack from health and its always nice to be really beefy for you and your team. Plus you already have the Regrowth Pendant.

8. Trinity Force (+20 Damage, +30 Ability Power, +25% Attack Speed, +12% Crit Chance, +12% Move Speed, +300 Health, +300 Mana, UNIQUE Passive: 25% chance on hit to slow the target by 50% for 2.5 seconds; on cast, increases your base Attack Damage by 150% for one attack.)

If the game last this long you shouldn't have any room left. Upgrade the Sheen into a Trinity Force for the extra health, attack, and attack speed.

--------Strategy

Early Game:

DO NOT SOLO WITH POPPY. She is almost useless solo. Poppy is amazing with a lane partner that can slow disable or stun (most heroes). I've done the best next to Blitzcrank and Twisted Fate. You want to be aggressive and look for your angles. When you see an opportunity, pop Devastating Blow and then Heroic Charge them into the bushes and knock them against the wall. Your next physical attack will use your Devastating Blow and get the cooldown going ASAP. Their lane partner won't be able to help immediately because they cant see in the bushes. Let your partner use their cc and then blow your exhaust. By the end of your exhaust you should be about ready to Devastating Blow them again if the battle last that long.

2 ranged heroes can be very difficult for Poppy. If you see a good moment blow you flash and charge them into the bushes. A lot of good ranged players will be cautious so you might want to wait till level 6 for your ult before you get too aggressive.

When you have your ult, tower diving becomes possible and fun. People dont usually see a tower dive coming but if you can Pop your ult, Heroic Charge them right into their tower which will stun them and then Devastating Blow them into oblivion. I wouldn't recommend doing this on a hero with full HP. Half or less is better.

If they are near your tower you can always flash behind them and Heroic Charge them into your tower.

Mid/Late Game:

She is a great solo killer but i find solo killing always risky, normally i stay with my team and initiate with Heroic Charge (if you have a Raylai's it slows them even if you dont get a nice stun) then pop the ult on the least powerful attacking hero. You'll be tempted to throw it on a twitch but its better to not let him attack you. A lot of the time i will throw my ult on their tank and then switch targets to their high dps. You will lose the 40% attack bonus but its worth it to make the dps suffer and not be able to do anything back to you. This will force the enemies to attack other teammates which causes confusion and makes it hard for a team to focus one target. They will almost always stop and think for a second about what to do and you should be so aggressive with your ult on and Devastating Blows going that they will panic, run and die.

Stay on top of buffs. Devastating Blow hits the buff creeps for around 800. They are very easy to kill.

Stay on top of Dragon. He is very easy to kill and the bonus xp and gold is essential for your team and their victory. Should be able to solo him easily at around 12-14.

I hope you enjoyed this guide. If you see any mistakes let me know and I'll gladly correct them. Any feedback is good feedback even criticism. Try the build out first before you flame. IT WORKS.

Dendael

01-14-2010

What I've seen alot of during the 1st day with poppy on the lineup, is malady.

Perhaps you'd like to add it somewhere around the early items as it does grant some rather needed attackspeed and lifesteal is never wrong as it lets you get out alive out of toe to toe battles with anyone who should otherwise have slain you without much problems. ^^

CalveenKush

01-14-2010

Malady would be a good for a different build imo. Maybe a malady followed by a frozen mallet. Id probably build her a bit more attack damage with that item. I'm more partial to Stark's though. This build is really fun. Try it out.

Beatnick

Adjudicator

01-14-2010

I actually find starks to work perfectly with her as well as tiamat. Beyond that, warmogs atma's and ninja tabi make her neayl unstoppable. I use cleanse for the anti cc. But banshees veil would sync well with her. I have a feeling she will be "balanced" next patch.

Lord Bender

01-14-2010

i think that most dmg you get from sheen/trinity force, if you land 2x Devastating blow on one target he can be dead ( if not at full) or really low, i thing that poppy should be built like nasus or blitz ( mainly trinity )

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2010

No sheen = fail.

It's so much damage for 1260g.

CalveenKush

01-14-2010

Sheen is definitely a good item but i wanted to focus more on tank/dps, in that order. The phage gives alright health but its nothing compared to an Ages or Rylais. All the items i get except for atma has a lot of health and that is only because atmas plays on the health. I feel like a trinity force would make her too soft for my liking but i dont think it is a bad build if you have an alistar or some other super good tank.

I notice that a lot of people dont like to play tanks, they do play them like 70-80% of games but i see too many games where the tank is MIA.

I like the idea of having 4k health and having a 4 sec nuke that hits for 1k with ult up. Trinity would exchange a lot of the health for a bit of attack speed, movement speed (which she doesn't need too much) and the 150% attack.

A great item if you were building more for physical attack build.

Varmin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2010

Poppy isn't a tank, why would you focus on tank first?

CurryMofo

01-14-2010

Imo this build does not live up to Poppy's full potential. Her auto attack is pretty gimp compared to a true carries, so you need to buff it by getting sheen. I understand you are making a Tank/dps build, but RoA followed by Rylai's does nothing for the atmas that you get. Sure you can hit some of your hp as damage, but your Devastating blow will only hit for 500 max maybe 600 before MR mitigation. Also, your auto attacks will be plenty pitiful, even with atmas.

If you build TF, you are a good enough tank, trust me. Just get TriForce, Merc Treads and Starks. With those 3 items, ive pretty much decimated the whole team in a team fight.

This above build allows for you to Devastating blow, then active your PoD which activates TF, auto attack, then charge, will will also give you a good auto attack. Your DB will also hit for 1k+. Starks gives you lifesteal/AS that you need and reduces enemy armor.

There is no such thing as a "tank" in LoL. Thats a MMO term. There are support and carries, with poppy being both. You can throw your ult on the weakest person, then kill someone else then go back to that weak person. I see most people put it on whoever they are going to focus, but if the person dies, your ult will end early. That I agree with.

Also, Poppy's passive gets WORSE as you get more HP. so a low hp tank build is much better for her.

Stormsoul

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryMofo View Post
Poppy's passive gets WORSE as you get more HP. so a low hp tank build is much better for her.
this, drop all the HP items and perhaps get a mejais and other goodies in there, definetly sheen, sheen is a must for poppy and you arent playing her to her full potential without at least sheen.

12345 ... 6