Udyr - Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gilianz

01-14-2010

I have a few questions to ask about Udyr. The first one is my item build, currently it looks something like:
Malady
Berserker Greaves
Phange/Sheen
Sheen/Phange
Zeal = Trinity Force
Sunfire Cape
then 2 empty slots for whatever is needed

My second question regards 2 abilities of Udyr. They are Tiger Stance and Phoenix Stance, the simple question here is which is better for ganking/team killing. I know Phoenix has the aoe and the recent buff to it allows half of the AP to become Damage but the Maul from Tiger Stance seems so much better. I am not sure which is better. Mind you, I have only played Udyr about 5 times since he is free this weekend. I intend on buying him too

Twigg

01-14-2010

It's Phage, not Phange.

And I like getting a Nashor's Tooth after my trinity force, helps loads

Answer: Use all his stances. Like seriously, ALL. If u meant which to skill early game, use your human capacity to think and analyze your opponents

boni

01-14-2010

I guess it's really up to you. Phoenix is DPS, Tiger is Burstdamage (although it's a DoT). I mostly use Tiger as a finisher.
But as you run with malady, you can also use Tiger as a damage-source early - the additional Malady-Damage procs on all 3 hits -> Malady actually does tripledamage with Tiger.

It's up to you.

Twigg

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boni View Post
I guess it's really up to you. Phoenix is DPS, Tiger is Burstdamage (although it's a DoT). I mostly use Tiger as a finisher.
But as you run with malady, you can also use Tiger as a damage-source early - the additional Malady-Damage procs on all 3 hits -> Malady actually does tripledamage with Tiger.

It's up to you.
+1

Oh and tip: Use tiger after phoenix because I heard the damage transfers over. Can anyone confirm?

Razr

01-14-2010

To the guy above me: yeah, the Phoenix buff does affect Tiger's DoT damage.

Your item build looks solid, and Phoenix does work with Tiger. If anything though don't always go for the Triforce; I've found that if your team needs a tankier champ due to a lack of one going for a Frozen Mallet is just as viable as getting a Triforce, if not better. People running too fast and the Phage part of the TF not proccing? Not anymore! Nobody will be able to escape you unless they waste some cooldowns like flash.

Also, while playing Udyr remember one thing: you are not the man who runs in first. You are the man who runs in faster, scarier, and tougher than the man who runs in first. Cho'gath on your team? I don't give a **** if he's the MF'ing Cho'gath played by Condon himself, you will be the one running in, stunning the living **** out of their team, shielding and stance dancing like a mofo, running away, and going back in after the other team realized you were with the MF'ing Cho'gath and the other 3 mofos on your team. You're a manbearturtletigerphoenix out of hell, and you will be feared by the end of the game. Blinds/silences getting to you? Great, you're still tanky enough to take the heat, waste their skills/ults on you, and the instant they wear off you're back to burning/ripping/rending their entire team a new posterior.

Be careful though; don't go into a fight without absolute certainty that the rest of your team will be there in seconds or that you will win before their team can react. Subtlety is not your strong point, but knowing when and where to rush in is.

And most importantly: have fun. I love Udyr, and have loved him since he came out. Play what you enjoy, not what's the Flavor of the Month (which is what I have a feeling Udyr, along with Poppy, will become).

Adorno

01-14-2010

Ditto on Frozen Mallot. Tri-force isn't bad, but has a couple of important anti-synergies w/Udyr:

Sheen/tri-force proc only does 1/3 bonus damage in tiger stance. Since you'll usually be leading in with 2 tiger smacks (I'm currently prepping w/ tiger-phoenix-bear (stun), then continuing w/ tiger-phoenix if they are still standing), that can be a significant loss of potential.

Crit chance in tri-force is wasted in turtle. Maybe not a huge deal, but it bugs me

Also, if you're going for a late game Def item, I'd definitely go Guardian Angel over Sunfire cape. Sure, sunfire goes with the Phoenix theme, but you really shouldn't be standing in the middle of fights for long. And you REALLY don't need the aura to help you push waves, which is a big part of why tanks get it. Guardian Angel, on the other hand, plays right to your strengths. You can frequently edge out fights that look unfavorable, and can often survive by pushing forward and killing instead of retreating, getting exhaust dropped on you, etc. Guardian Angel lets you play a much riskier game.

I tend to level turtle early, but leave it at 3 or maybe 4. All 4 stances are great, but WHEN you level them is ultimately much more important than which one ends up at 3, or which ones end up at 4. As the previous poster said, look at what is happening and then level the appropriate ones. Tiger=Gank/burst. Bear = Travel/Gank, Phoenix = Push, sustained DPS, group DPS, small boost to tiger and turtle, Turtle = Mana/Survivability (in that order). With the Phoenix buff, I have generally been making it my first priority.

DreXxiN

01-14-2010

What I want to know is how people claim he can do Baron at mid levels? With what items?

Hedgepig

01-14-2010

Definitely.

I did him at 16 with a build that wasnt indended for it:

Malady, Beserkers, triforce, sword of the divine (there was a jax).

Its a huge amount of magic damage. I just flopped between pheonix and turtle. I had golem at the time, and the CD talents.

I think with something like Starks, Bloodthirster, Madreds, or Malady, Madreds, + any decent damage item, and you could do it at 12-14.

That said, I like the Malady, Wits End, Madreds, Sword of the divine, void staff build. All magic damage all the time!

Purutzil

01-14-2010

Vamp > Boots > Malady > Sheen > Mercury/Ninja > Trinity > Bloodthirster

With the change to his passive stacking his attack speed adds up so quickly that you can focus on pure damage items more/better tanking items. Probably late game item wise depending on the team I'd idealy have (using generic team combination)

Malady
Mercury Treads
Trinity Force
Bloodthirster
Black Cleaver

Pretty much last item is left open depending on the team. Malady, Boots, and TF are the core of Udyr and after that its pretty much person preference. With the changes idealy you won't want to invest in anymore attack speed items unless its Madreds or Starks (to support team) if the team set up of the other team requires it. As it is trinity force and malady really maximize the attack speed of Udyr with how the stances stack right now with tiger in effect. It doesn't hurt to have it push over cap with tiger since it will be the least use stance so going over with it is no biggie.

BiCuriousGeorge

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgepig View Post
Definitely.

I did him at 16 with a build that wasnt indended for it:

Malady, Beserkers, triforce, sword of the divine (there was a jax).

Its a huge amount of magic damage. I just flopped between pheonix and turtle. I had golem at the time, and the CD talents.

I think with something like Starks, Bloodthirster, Madreds, or Malady, Madreds, + any decent damage item, and you could do it at 12-14.

That said, I like the Malady, Wits End, Madreds, Sword of the divine, void staff build. All magic damage all the time!
"
I think with something like Starks, Bloodthirster, Madreds, or Malady, Madreds, + any decent damage item, and you could do it at 12-14."

-if u have those items at level 12-14 u dont need baron cause no one on the other team will be able to kill you!