[Guide] Tank/Support Galio: A Comprehensive Treatise

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MVilleCWB

03-30-2011

With the latest patch and the increase to Idol's range, some of the interrupts with ranges that were just a fraction larger then Idol's should no longer be as big of an issue. I am a huge fan of Galio as a champion. Great guide by the way.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVilleCWB View Post
With the latest patch and the increase to Idol's range, some of the interrupts with ranges that were just a fraction larger then Idol's should no longer be as big of an issue. I am a huge fan of Galio as a champion. Great guide by the way.
Unfortunately, most of those "just a fraction larger" are at 600 range and can still safely interrupt Galio's ultimate. I did some testing, and the results were that only Poppy's charge is outranged by Idol of Durand now.

Sion's Cryptic Gaze is at 550 and I had a buddy test it to see if he could charge in and stun me--and he can. Likewise, Cho'Gath's Feral Scream still interrupts. All of the others have more range, but if there's a request for a specific test, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for your comments, apologies for the delay on getting back to you!

Krargan

04-16-2011

I like the guide, I got Galio pretty early on in getting the game, probably about rank 5 or so and have been playing him for about 80% of my games up to rank 28, almost all solo 5v5 matches with the ocassional 3v3.

With that said there are a few things i do differently that i like to suggest just for the sake of it, i suppose.

While i do agree he settles at being average late game i find he can really shine early game just as much as mid game, especially with the damage increase recently to his Q, I play him normally 0/21/7 (Again rank 28) just picking up mana regen and pool in utility. I have just stacked MR runes per level for all but marks where i go with the flat over the per level, as i feel the early game advantage outweighs the slight increase of the per level for those. I suppose most people would like a more balanced rune set, but i feel that if your lucky enough to get a caster heavy enemy team it will be all the more beneficial and it gives you a great early game advantage on MR and AP that isn't very common. And even if your matched against a team without any significant AP characters it gives you a nice MR without having to get any MR items at all and still not be useless as it rolls over into AP.

I play with Flash (Obviously) and Clarity, i feel the early game is very important and clarity is superb for him with how taxing his abilities are, as well as being a good support tool with a caster lane partner.

I always start With Rejuv pendant (15hp per 5) and a mana potion, The HP5 makes it easy to stay in lane with him almost indefinitely for early game so long as you keep enemy champs at a reasonable distance and even just playing a little conservative you can recover with relative ease even from going down to 25% health or so.

The pendant builds into a number of useful things for him as well, Force of nature is normally a first or second item for me after MR boots, so long as the game allows. However if the enemy team is AD heavy i usually build it into Warmog's or more recently Philosophers stone and it's upgrade early on, while opting for the CDR boots, which has seemed to work fairly well, before picking up more defensive items. On top of those Spirit Visage puts you right at CDR cap and gives a nice boost to your MR and regen. And in comparison to most things the CDR path mentioned is relatively cheap, especially if you can make out with a kill early on or a couple of assists.

I feel Galio really excels early game with his damage of Q, and while it has great advantage over most champs early harassing abilities you have to be good with it, to land it. i feel the amount of damage on it early on makes it deceptively strong and most champs will think they aren't too bad at 25% health. i also normally start with maxing Q and E early as possible, taking R whenever available and a lot of times i don't even pick up Bulwark until 13, which is kind of saddening and i understand how good of a defensive tool it is, but i feel pressing the early game while you're at the advantage with Galio and getting the kills/assist is more important than the occasional thwarting of a dive on (most likely) your laning partner.

I like the 5v5 as galio because it can be fairly forgiving on trying out adjustments on your builds and practicing what you can do against champions you might not be so good against. While i have been loving the 3v3 games recently as it is more common to be matched against an all caster team (e.g. Vlad, brand, Karthus) in which cases you can truely come out MVP, with MR boots and 5 Force of Natures.

I know i haven't any experience with the Ranked games or the non-blind picks and i'll hear all about it.but, that was just what i wanted to add.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krargan View Post
I like the guide, I got Galio pretty early on in getting the game, probably about rank 5 or so and have been playing him for about 80% of my games up to rank 28, almost all solo 5v5 matches with the ocassional 3v3.

With that said there are a few things i do differently that i like to suggest just for the sake of it, i suppose.

While i do agree he settles at being average late game i find he can really shine early game just as much as mid game, especially with the damage increase recently to his Q, I play him normally 0/21/7 (Again rank 28) just picking up mana regen and pool in utility. I have just stacked MR runes per level for all but marks where i go with the flat over the per level, as i feel the early game advantage outweighs the slight increase of the per level for those. I suppose most people would like a more balanced rune set, but i feel that if your lucky enough to get a caster heavy enemy team it will be all the more beneficial and it gives you a great early game advantage on MR and AP that isn't very common. And even if your matched against a team without any significant AP characters it gives you a nice MR without having to get any MR items at all and still not be useless as it rolls over into AP.

I play with Flash (Obviously) and Clarity, i feel the early game is very important and clarity is superb for him with how taxing his abilities are, as well as being a good support tool with a caster lane partner.

I always start With Rejuv pendant (15hp per 5) and a mana potion, The HP5 makes it easy to stay in lane with him almost indefinitely for early game so long as you keep enemy champs at a reasonable distance and even just playing a little conservative you can recover with relative ease even from going down to 25% health or so.

The pendant builds into a number of useful things for him as well, Force of nature is normally a first or second item for me after MR boots, so long as the game allows. However if the enemy team is AD heavy i usually build it into Warmog's or more recently Philosophers stone and it's upgrade early on, while opting for the CDR boots, which has seemed to work fairly well, before picking up more defensive items. On top of those Spirit Visage puts you right at CDR cap and gives a nice boost to your MR and regen. And in comparison to most things the CDR path mentioned is relatively cheap, especially if you can make out with a kill early on or a couple of assists.

I feel Galio really excels early game with his damage of Q, and while it has great advantage over most champs early harassing abilities you have to be good with it, to land it. i feel the amount of damage on it early on makes it deceptively strong and most champs will think they aren't too bad at 25% health. i also normally start with maxing Q and E early as possible, taking R whenever available and a lot of times i don't even pick up Bulwark until 13, which is kind of saddening and i understand how good of a defensive tool it is, but i feel pressing the early game while you're at the advantage with Galio and getting the kills/assist is more important than the occasional thwarting of a dive on (most likely) your laning partner.

I like the 5v5 as galio because it can be fairly forgiving on trying out adjustments on your builds and practicing what you can do against champions you might not be so good against. While i have been loving the 3v3 games recently as it is more common to be matched against an all caster team (e.g. Vlad, brand, Karthus) in which cases you can truely come out MVP, with MR boots and 5 Force of Natures.

I know i haven't any experience with the Ranked games or the non-blind picks and i'll hear all about it.but, that was just what i wanted to add.
Hi there. Thanks for your interest and for your comments! While it's always nice to hear from a fellow Galio player, I'm afraid a lot of your advice and strategy are just not good.

I don't play 3v3s, but everything I've heard indicates Galio is awful at them.

Your playstyle on Galio uses a poor rune setup (no magic penetration on your marks at all? What do you do vs Renekton or Xin Zhao without any HP runes?) and starting item (never get mana potions, rejuv bead is meh), and you skip Bulwark. You ignore one of his best support skills to do more damage, which is a waste of a Galio. If you want to do decent poke damage and dominate early game, then I suggest playing a real mage instead. I've already shown that Bulwark is awesome with math in the guide, but how about a video with 2 Bulwark saves in it? Bulwark is the ultimate "screw you" to damage-over-time moves, such as most of Malzahar's arsenal and Vladimir's ultimate.

You're playing Galio as a walking passive, which is a bloody shame. He's best played as a support tank and Riot has flat-out said he's supposed to be a support tank. Supports have to be a little more selfless and be concerned about keeping their team alive (Bulwark, defensive Righteous Gust) instead of maximum damage. Try going easy on stacking magic resist and get items like Aegis (which is soooo good anyway) and Banshee's Veil for a more balanced approach. If you're truly out to stack magic resist, mixing in an Abyssal Scepter is better than piling gold into multiple Forces of Nature.

You also have no mana items and no Banshee's Veil, which is another bloody shame. If you do the math, Banshee's Veil is far more useful for Galio than Force of Nature. You can't regen effectively from the Force of Nature if you have 1800 HP. Banshee's Veil gives health, mana, magic resist (and AP), and a great passive for Idol of Durand. It's also cheaper and gives you more effective health. NEVER rush a Force of Nature on ANY champion, that's such a bad idea.

You won't land Q on good players consistently once they get boots or unless you're just godly at aiming skillshots. It's a nice poke, but I don't pick Galio because I want to be the best poker in the game. (See: Corki). I don't pick Galio to do damage or to blindly stack magic resist. I don't pick Galio to dominate early game either. Other champions fill the poke/early game monster role much better. He's decent at it with his buffs, but he's still not great compared to an early-game poke monster like Nidalee or Dr. Mundo.

21 on defense is underwhelming, because you don't need a lot of that stuff. Dodge? Useless against all but a handful of champions and it's a very low percentage. Attack Speed from Ardor? Spare me. I'd rather be able to flash 20 seconds faster and get a 9 movespeed increase along with 6% CDR.

In my opinion, you have a lot to learn about Galio and the optimal/efficient ways to play him before you're ready to give advice. If you take anything away from this post, please get a set of Magic Penetration marks and rush Banshee's Veil instead of Force of Nature. Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Eph289

08-02-2011

Updated to 122. Lots of changes in this revision.