[Guide] Tank/Support Galio: A Comprehensive Treatise

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

I guess our definitions of BAD are different.

I agree that he is somewhat playable under certain circumstances. With the right team, he can do adequate. He is a good 1v2 laner to cover jungling. He can 'secondary tank'.

However these are not exactly resounding endorsements. Who thinks, "Man, we gotta get the right team config so that our Galio can be...adequate". "Dude, we really really NEED a secondary tank that is good vs magic". "Ha! Ill take galio as last pick. That way they cant easily counterpick him and then he will DOMINAT....er... Shine....er...Do well....um.... ok fine. He might do a passable job."

Gunflame

02-08-2011

Do you think veigar sucks?
Do you think poppy sucks?
Do you think evelynn sucks?

Those 3 champions are excellent 4-5 picks. Just because they are not first-second-ban picks it doesn't make them bad champions.

Rrbhaunoch

02-08-2011

I like the guide, particularly the depth of all of the explanations. I've been playing Galio the last day or so and I have liked my build, but I will give this a try.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunflame View Post
Well the thing I like about lux better as a lane partner is:
- Longer range than Morgana
- She can snare through creeps
- She has a slow.
- She plays safer than morgana.

I love morganas in my team, I know that... but during laning phase lux feels superior.. Because if she snares or slows someone it is easier for you to hit that someone... by the same token if you slow someone Lux can also hit them with Snare+autoattack combo.

At last she plays it safer than Morgana (I donīt like suicidal lane partners) and her ulti works as a good poke if you want to tower dive at lvl 6 for a kill.

Another thing:
- I always, always get Chalice AND banshee... the only exception is when I'm going against highly physical few interrupts team. Then I might not get Banshee's.
I agree, Lux is certainly one of the better lane partners. I left her out compared to Morg because she can't self-heal and Galio really loves Black Shield more than just about anyone but Nunu or Kat. Maybe I just need to lane with more Luxes to be fully convinced of true nature of the awesome. The times I have laned with Lux have generally been stupidly easy kills for our jungle because of the slow/snare/slow/haste from across the lane combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
I guess our definitions of BAD are different.

I agree that he is somewhat playable under certain circumstances. With the right team, he can do adequate. He is a good 1v2 laner to cover jungling. He can 'secondary tank'.

However these are not exactly resounding endorsements. Who thinks, "Man, we gotta get the right team config so that our Galio can be...adequate". "Dude, we really really NEED a secondary tank that is good vs magic". "Ha! Ill take galio as last pick. That way they cant easily counterpick him and then he will DOMINAT....er... Shine....er...Do well....um.... ok fine. He might do a passable job."
He's not flavor of the month, that's for sure. If you're playing ranked, particularly at higher elos, you're right, you're not going to want to pick up Galio quickly. He's going to be one of your last picks and you're going to pick him against a team with mostly casters. His taunt will interrupt channeled ults and unlike Amumu's snare/blind, prevent spell-casts, plus he loves to get MR.

In your average normal game, nothing wrong with picking Galio IF you know how to use him and particularly when to taunt and when not to. If you're stacking AoE ults or if your team is otherwise low on poke he's an excellent choice. If you need a tank and a support, you can go Taric, Shen, or Galio. Shen is the best tank out of those, Taric is the best support, I feel Galio is somewhere in the middle. And he farms/pokes better than either of those two.

If you truly feel Galio is worthless right now, that's cool. I know where you're coming from. Just don't expect much agreement to that sentiment in a thread for a Galio guide. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrbhaunoch View Post
I like the guide, particularly the depth of all of the explanations. I've been playing Galio the last day or so and I have liked my build, but I will give this a try.
Thanks! Let me know what you think.

Resilga

02-15-2011

Without his ultimate I can't get him to be threatening. He does no dmg mid-late game and even with his fully charged ultimate and a good item build his dmg contributes little. His nukes are very important because they have long cds and have utility but both utilities on both of those things are not very high and the dmg is laughable compared to what they once were. He asks too much of his team in a game where most people are scared so easily.

Even with bulwark and the appropriate defense items it seems to be difficult to survive a 5v5 teamfight when initiating with his ultimate unless it is starting to hit lategame.

Any game that I do see galio victorious in has had teammates that could carry him and it would not have mattered if he was galio or malphite or shen or rammus or any tough guy. I have yet to see a win BECAUSE of galio's contribution.

Eph289

02-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilga View Post
Without his ultimate I can't get him to be threatening. He does no dmg mid-late game and even with his fully charged ultimate and a good item build his dmg contributes little. His nukes are very important because they have long cds and have utility but both utilities on both of those things are not very high and the dmg is laughable compared to what they once were. He asks too much of his team in a game where most people are scared so easily.

Even with bulwark and the appropriate defense items it seems to be difficult to survive a 5v5 teamfight when initiating with his ultimate unless it is starting to hit lategame.

Any game that I do see galio victorious in has had teammates that could carry him and it would not have mattered if he was galio or malphite or shen or rammus or any tough guy. I have yet to see a win BECAUSE of galio's contribution.
My question here to you is: how much damage do you expect to contribute as a TANK? How much are you expecting him to hit like the old OP Galio? If the answer to either is a lot, you're going to be disappointed.

Since the nerfs, I don't think you can effectively play Galio to put out mad burst or sustained damage, so I don't try to. That's why I'm building supportish items like Aegis, Soul Shroud, and Abyssal Scepter, to give my Galio more teamfight presence outside of his ult while also giving him things he needs. I do find it helps if I ping the bad guys right before I go in. Most people tend to catch the hint. For a tank, his damage actually isn't that bad (does a lot more than Shen, usually more than Mummy) but it's not what it used to be.

It's pretty rare that I have problems surviving the initiation unless I'm hurt beforehand, been underleveled due to a nasty lane ala Panth/Janna, or there's a fed AD carry like Tryndamere. If they focus you after your taunt is used up, that's a GOOD thing. You WANT to be focused after you taunt them. As long as your team's DPS has half a brain, they should be able to finish them off, even at the cost of your death. Galio farms so well that you should have no problems grabbing a Chalice, Treads, and hopefully all of the Aegis by 20 minutes.

Lastly, I have seen my Galio turn numerous games around. I've had other lanes feed 7 or 8 kills to a Pantheon, only to turn around and shut them down in teamfights because Pantheon is a squishy AD-caster and can't do much while taunted. I don't have much to say to your poor Galio experiences except to say that I've experienced quite the opposite.

Eph289

02-18-2011

Regarding Patch 1.0.0.111, I've definitely played some Galio on it. Tbh, it doesn't seem that different. He wasn't directly affected and Maokai's Q doesn't have enough range (I think, based on playing Maokai) to interrupt Idol of Durand from outside it.

One thing that I noticed was the reduction in CDR from Soul Shroud. I used to be able to get 40% CDR from Soul Shroud (15%), runes and masteries (15%), and an Elixir of Brilliance (10%). Can't do that anymore, but I still favor Soul Shroud over other options such as Morello's Evil Tome.

QSS buff could be interesting. It was already decent for the cost.

These are just some thoughts, I will update the guide when I have some more concrete (and tested) conclusions. I think very little change.

Sirius333

02-24-2011

Holy cow. Way too long for my time at the coffee shop, but dang you thought of everything! I'll be giving this a few more looks.

Eph289

03-02-2011

Will be updating this for the Jarvan patch soon. I'm almost 100% sure that Jarvan's Flag/Dragon Strike combo outranges Idol of Durand but am currently unable to confirm this.

Eph289

03-04-2011

Updated for patches 111 and 112.