[STORY] "Let me tell you a story.."

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GarrTorrent

01-21-2011

I've been reading the Lore Forum on and off for a while now, posting in it every now and then with a personality in mind, nothing as elaborate as a fully-fledged character with ridiculous powers like in all of the profiles I've seen people post.

This was born of boredom and that character's personality, as well as a musing on how lower level summoners learn the ropes; from 'level 30' summoners. Even if they are a little too deep into it.

“Let me tell you a story...” The robed figure started to pace, across the room and back. One looking in on the small tutoring room would boggle at the lack of an apparent tutor to guide the new summoners, for all four of the room's occupants were clad in the plain, unadorned robes of a fresh face.

The three young faces stared at their hooded teacher as he paced, back and forth, deep green robes swaying wildly.

“Let me tell you a story... In Demacia, there lived a little girl...” He stopped moving, facing the three and presenting them with only the darkness his hood provided. “...A young, young girl, who lived with her mother, her father and her brother. Oh yes, her brother.. She had a brother once, but then they took him away.”

“Who did?”, spoke up the young brunette in the center, her face screwed up in a look of confusion.

“They did! They took him away, they took her brother away, and she was afraid.” He stormed up to the girl, so close she could smell his breath as her teacher yelled in her face; she wished she wasn't able. “She was so very afraid! Because she knew..” He turned his back on her, stepping back to the front of the room. “She knew she was next.” He continued, in a quiet voice.

“They took her brother, and now they were going to take her. And take her away they did. They took the girl away from her mommy,” the bitterness with which he punctuated every word practically filled the air, “Took her away from her daddy, and put her in a place with many other kids. Yet.. She was so very alone.”

“And they made her work! They made her work, they made her toil, toil and learn and fight. Fight and sneak, learn and toil, reciting the same words all the way!” His voice slowly built in volume, reaching a crescendo that could likely be heard down the hallway, the summoner pacing through the room, gesturing wildly.

“And she worked. She fought! She learned, and toiled and stole and did her job! And she met her brother once more..” He began to slow, his voice quieting, “And he didn't care. He didn't know her. They had taught him to fight, you see. To fight and to toil, and to bring justice. All she wanted was to be acknowledged, to be shown respect or affection as his sister!”

“Is she..?” Began a blonde-haired youth with more than a few blemishes decorating his brow.

“Yes! Now don't interrupt! Let me tell you another story...” He began again, pacing, shooting veiled glances at the three youths he had been told to tutor, in his drab, unadorned robes. “In a land far away, there existed a grand library.”

“And all of the secrets of life and death were kept in this library, and a pair of brothers kept it safe, taught the secrets to the right people..” His voice began to build in volume again, though it was much flatter, somber.

“One of them taught the secrets, guided the people who came to learn and enrich themselves. The other brother kept the gate, shunning those who were unable to handle the secrets they would acquire without abusing them..” His voice was slowly building.

“And the gatekeeper slowly grew to question these people. Wondering why they kept trying, who they thought they could fool, with their disguises and ruses and false speech. He was a good being, he sought to rid them of their evil, and tried to sway them away. None would hear of it, and the gatekeeper slowly grew enraged..” A growl crept into their tutor's voice, the youths' eyes widening almost in unison.

“How DARE they do what they do? Who do they think they are, to try and fool the great gatekeeper?! And his rage built, he found himself taxed by the unworthy, and began to rid them of their evil himself.”

“H-..How?” Spoke up the shaking red-headed boy in the back.

The tutor stormed up to him, a rune-inscribed wooden rod carried in one hand and placed to the boy's neck, practically shouting once more, his voice carrying an inhuman snarl, “HE CUT IT OUT! Every last speck of evil, every last impurity, he tore them out!” He whirled around, “And soon he felt a change in his soul!”

The students simply stared as their teacher stormed away from them to the other end of the room, spreading his arms in a wild gesture of revelation, “He had been corrupted by the evil he sought to rid! This only drove him to greater depths of madness.. And so, with his last bits of sense, he turned to the one that could end this.”

His voice quickly grew quiet again, sadness piercing the tone of his half-growled words, “He turned to his brother, and attacked him, knowing he would lose. Knowing he would be killed. They fought long and hard, as the gatekeeper couldn't keep himself from trying to live, but he lost. And as he lay in the dust, awaiting the relief, the release from the prison that the evil had constructed in his mind..”

“His brother was swept away by magic, and he with him.”

“R-Renekton, right?” The girl spoke up again.

“Correct.” Her teacher simply nodded, before motioning to the door, “And as you go to your practice matches against other Summoners today, know the minds you delve into. Seek beyond working with them, understand them, try to better yourself with their help even as you lead them into battle. Embrace their madnesses, their rage and their courage, their pride and humor and even their flaws!You may go.”

The youths quickly filed out, and he could hear their chatter out in the hallway, talking about how mad he was, how pointless that lesson was.

Sitting down in a chair in the room, he sighed. No, they wouldn't understand. It would figure. “..Isn't that right, Zach?” He spoke, looking up and off to the side, as if speaking to someone he couldn't see.

GarrTorrent

01-21-2011

So no comments? Ah well, can't wish for everything. Hope you enjoyed.

sp1d3r

01-21-2011

Good stuff, I added your story to the fan site, www.thelolfansite.com

Would like you to add more.

Unasetra

01-21-2011

I liked it, I liked it alot, no constructive criticism though =)