The Surrender Button in Ranked, An Abomination

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dragonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Drive View Post
No, do it in normal matches. Practice matches are for level 10s and ARAMs.
ARAMs against bots a great way to farm IP!

mrmuffyman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2011

league of legends is just a game.
time is so much more precious, id rather save 10 minutes by hitting the surrender button than fight a drawn out battle and lose

NecroGenesis

01-20-2011

The team score is 2 to 27 at the 25 minute mark.
They've gotten every dragon and your team has no real tank or carry.
Save yourself the 20 extra minutes of turtling and re queue and make others lose

Dragonk

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroGenesis View Post
The team score is 2 to 27 at the 25 minute mark.
They've gotten every dragon and your team has no real tank or carry.
Save yourself the 20 extra minutes of turtling and re queue and make others lose
You and mrmuffy are killing me. Stop breaking my ****ing bawlls!

Benign Sentinel

01-20-2011

If its 2-27 at the 25 minute mark and they haven't won yet, then everyone in that game is awful.

Trame

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonk View Post
This game is supposed to be competitve, since when is surrender ok in a competitive environment?
SC2 is way more competitive than LoL and nearly every game ends via surrender fyi

The AI opponents in the game designed to teach new players how to play are even programmed to offer surrender if they think they can't win...

Dragonk

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trame View Post
SC2 is way more competitive than LoL and nearly every game ends via surrender fyi

The AI opponents in the game designed to teach new players how to play are even programmed to offer surrender if they think they can't win...
I don't care about SC2 and its irrelevant to this topic. Surrendering in all games is mind boggling to me, I could also go into the entire gaming industry but I would like to keep this on topic aka League of Legends. I could go into other completely off topic competitive games like Street Fighter where surrender isn't even a word in the English language.

Annenthios

01-20-2011

There are some situations in which, yes, are unwinnable. HOWEVER

Way too many gg far too early. Comebacks happen. Alot more/easier then most people think.

Ranked = Tryharding

So tryhard until the end! Its never over till the nexus blows!

ProNoobster

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
I'd rather lose a 25 minute game and win a 35 minute game than win a 50 minute game. You get more IP that way. Of course, my motivation for playing Ranked is a bit different from most people's.
25+35=50?

o_O"

just being a ***** pointing that out. ^_^

My 2 cents is what many have said- if you remove surrender button, and you're losing 2:27, the enemy team is fed, they could just grief you like crazy by prolonging the game forever (not push, and if you teamfight, they win) especially if you have one or two members in your team that aren't just sitting at the fountain waiting for the game to finish, and are in turn pushing the lanes...that game will just last forever.

I think the surrender atm, at 25 minutes, is alright. The only problem is like someone said earlier- too many people are giving up too soon. They just don't realise some chars, once farmed, can dish truckloads of damage.

Trame

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonk View Post
I don't care about SC2 and its irrelevant to this topic. Surrendering in all games is mind boggling to me, I could go into the entire gaming industry but I would like to keep this on topic aka League of Legends. I could go into other completely off topic competitive games like Street Fighter where surrendering isn't even a word in the English language.
You specifically asked "when is surrender ok in a competitive environment?" so I answered

If you want to know the reason has something to do with how long matches take to play out. In a game like Street Fighter, matches have a time limit of what? A minute or two? Even if there was an option to surrender, the difference between surrendering and not surrendering would be barely any time at all. In SC2 once you hit the point of no return - and professional players know when they've reached that point - all that's left is to wait until the other player finds and destroys all their buildings to eliminate them from the game. That's boring and a waste of time for everyone, so they just say "gg" and surrender when they know they've lost.

Sure in SC2 if you're playing Terran you could lift off your CC and float it to a far corner of the map when you lose all your units and the enemy army is advancing on your base. It's a perfectly viable strategy; the other person may have to leave for an important meeting in 5 minutes and may not have time to build air units to send out to look for your CC. Maybe if he's new he just gets bored with searching the map for your last building and surrenders so he can move on to a more interesting game. This strategy is 100% legit. You can even go afk, as you don't (and can't) do anything at this point. But it's recognized as bad form and being a waste of your opponent's time, so people generally don't do it unless they're either trolling or raging.

Anyway, I've had games in LoL where it is essentially impossible for our team to win (2 leavers, Soraka, AP Ashe, me as someone like Nasus) where the enemy team has a 4 level advantage, 20+ kill and huge CS advantage, a composition like Rammus/Malphite/Anivia/Corki/Sona, and Baron buff, but just refuses to push down our inhibitor turrets and says "we're just going to wait for you to surrender and farm phantom dancers " in allchat and kills anyone who leaves the perimeter of our base. I don't leave games or go afk in fountain so I'm stuck there.

If you're on my team and at that point block my surrender attempt, congratulations, you're trolling me harder than AP Ashe.