Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Surrender Button in Ranked, An Abomination

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dragonk

01-20-2011

Either I'm losing my mind or you are desperately trying to ruin this game...... Let's encourage greifing, feeding, leaving and everything else by rewarding them with an early surrender so they don't have to do anything......

You lowered it to 20 minutes. I can't believe this ****.

Quote:
Morello:
We're not doing this solution, but we're lowering surrender time

What? So your aware that the game actually starts at 20 minutes but you thought pushing the surrender vote to this time was a great idea. You already know I was right in what I told you. That minion change tried to cover up the problem, it did not.

Quote:
Morello:

Move additional cannon minion spawns from 20 minutes to 40-45 minutes. This mechanic should be utilized to force long, drug-out games to end, and 20 minutes is just when the action gets interesting in terms of teamfights and objectives. This is simply too early and we'll be making this happen past the normal average game length, instead.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things I've always found particularly disturbing about League of Legends is that loathsome surrender button. It seems far more often than not, people would rather give up they actually play a game through until the end. This may just be me but I don't understand the concept of surrender in a game like League of Legends. If you believe your going to lose, then why play to begin with (specifically a ranked game).

I can't count the number of games I've been in where my team does a 4 to 1 surrender at the 25 minute mark that baffles me. Sometimes this is for no apparent reason (its a stalemate but the other team has a few more kills). Many times its because we have a late game team with champions such as Trydamere or Rammus, he feeds because he thinks he can kill everything at level 6, rage and makes everyone miserable (there is often more then 1 of these on a team) but doesn't realize that if he actually sticks it out until level 18 he truly can kill anything he wants and we can win as a team.

I've even had games where I was playing with some friends and the surrender button came up and to my shock 4 votes are locked in for surrender..... I ask them "Why would you surrender? This makes no sense" the answer was quite frightening to me. "Well I figured the other guys didn't want to play anymore so I just hit yes" This is in ranked games...... Literally throwing away a game for no reason.

I do realize that players have serious mental issues (I truly beleive this after playing this game) From rage alcoholics to grievers to people who just leave in the middle of the game (I don't care if you have connection issues, if you get disconnected from 2-3 games it time to stop ruining everyone elses you selfish *****) Despite all this I have never once felt the urge to hit yes to that surrender button. What exactly is the point in surrendering? Do you believe your going to save time? Are you a terrible player? Is it gratification to hit that button and see a giant defeat banner?

In the games I've gotten players to stick around in, particularly where we have a late game team comp. We usually win and its always incredibly gratifying to duke it out, no matter how long and win. Not to mention it builds up the general skill and knowledge of the players that are participating.

I believe that surrendering, specifically the surrender button breeds a mentality in players that is negative to the entire gaming community. This game is supposed to be competitve, since when is surrender ok in a competitive environment? Your favorite team is down 5 to nothing in the second inning, would it be ok for them to just walk out of the stadium? "I give up, this is too hard, we probably won't win anyway." Of course not, its an absolutely ridiculous an archaic concept in just about every situation that I can think of. Why in the world is it acceptable in League of Legends?

1. Saving time is not a valid argument.
2. Being bored is not a valid argument
3. Not having fun is again not a valid argument
4. Going to lose anyway is not a valid argument
5. Being angry at other players is not a valid argument
6. Surrendering is acceptable in Chess is not a valid argument
7. More Matches=More Elo is not a valid argument
8. More matches=More IP is again not a valid argument
9. They are about to destroy the nexus is not a valid argument (Let them destroy the ****ing inhib).
10. Sparing you a game leaver/griefer/feeder/rager is not a valid argument (This should be taken care of before the problem player even joins a match)
11. Making average match time shorter is not a valid argument (Yea you read it right Riot)
12. If you blame your want to surrender on everyone else but yourself, its not a valid argument.

"There is only winning"

-Charlie Sheen

TL; DR Everytime you hit the surrender button, I die a little inside.

(Requested by 2000 people, thanks Caryatid)

Quote:
Caryatid:
1. Saving time is not a valid argument.
If you didn't have time to commit to a whole game then you shouldn't have started playing it anyway.
Also the point of the game isn't to earn IP. The point is to win and have fun. Wanting to maximise your IP gains should be secondary to this, if it should be a concern at all.
When you decide to surrender because a game is taking a long time you're saying that your impatience should be important enough to affect the experience of nine other people. It's not.

2 & 3. Being bored or not having fun is not a valid argument
When you start playing a match, you have to accept that the game could go in any possible direction. It may be that it turns out to be a boring or un-fun game. This is a chance you take and surrender is just the easy way out of a bad situation. I believe people should take responsibility for their decisions by living with the consequences. Besides, if a game gets boring or un-fun then perhaps you should do something to liven it up.
When you decide to surrender because you are bored you're saying that your boredom should be important enough to affect the experience of nine other people. It's not.

4. Going to lose anyway is not a valid argument
There's a problem here with perception. Quite often, when nothing is going your way or your team's way it may seem like all is lost. What you should realise is that the momentum at any given moment may not actually match the state of play. There are numerous times when I've felt like we were losing but we've actually been almost even with the enemy in terms of towers and kills. Many people seem to be bad at actually analysing a situation and determining the likely outcomes.
Besides, if you really are going to lose anyway then surrender is unnecessary because the other team is about to put an end to the game.
If the other team isn't poised to crush you then clearly you're not at the 'going to lose anyway' point and you should keep fighting back.

5. Being angry at other players is not a valid argument
Just like in real life, things can make you angry in game. This will happen whether you like it or not. You have essentially two choices when this happens. You can either handle it and continue to play or you can throw a tantrum and quit. Quitting via surrender guarantees you a loss. Continuing to play does not guarantee a loss.
When you decide to surrender because you are angry you're saying that your anger should be important enough to affect the experience of nine other people. It's not.

6. Surrendering is acceptable in Chess is not a valid argument
Chess can become mathematically impossible to win, in which case it is sensible for the losing player to concede the match rather than be forced to play out his game into an inevitable outcome.
In LoL the game is not over until the Nexus is destroyed and just about anything can happen. Games can turn around and the underdog can win. The point is it never becomes actually inmpossible to win, although it may seem impossible.
Also, if the odds really are as insurmountable as to provoke a surrender then the other team is clearly about to finish the game anyway and deserve that satisfaction. It will only cost you a couple of minutes.

7& 8. More Matches=More Elo or More IP is not a valid argument
Every game you play is an opportunity to gain points. Every game you surrender is a game where you've voluntarily given up points. Not only that but you've given up points in favour of another opportunity to earn points that could turn out just as badly as the last.
I don't know where the breakpoint is for maximising gains despite losses and I don't really care. The best way to make gains is to win and the best way to win is to learn something every time you lose. If you surrender then you give up the chance to learn what that loss could have taught you.
When you decide to surrender because of ELO or IP you're saying that your score should be important enough to affect the experience of nine other people. It's not.

9. They are about to destroy the nexus is not a valid argument
As above, if they're about to destroy it then surrender saves you a few seconds at best. The other team have earned their win and you should be a gracious enough loser to let them have it.
If you think surrender will save you more than a minute then clearly the match isn't over yet and you should keep fighting. The match doesn't end until the Nexus is destroyed.

You'll note some common themes here. Selfishness, irresponsibility, inability to take stock of a situation, inability to handle boredom or anger all seem to be attributes exhibited by people who want to surrender. These are also all attributes exhibited by children.
The counter-attributes, like responsibility and level-headedness, are attributes which adults are supposed to possess. So what I'm really saying is I feel cheese-eating surrender-monkeys need to grow up.

Play to win. Behave like an adult. Have fun. This makes the game better for everybody.

R1shal

01-20-2011

I die when I hit the surrender button because it throws my camera to the top of the map and enemy champions kill me

Amiithystine

01-20-2011

Myself and a friend have the moral standing of Never surrendering in ranked, It's your ELO and you should Fight tooth and nail for it, and take any possible chance you have to take a win.

Benign Sentinel

Recruiter

01-20-2011

Please remove surrender unless you have a leaver, in which case implement it so that you can only surrender once you hit the 25 minute mark with a leaver on your team.

Surrendering ruins the game.

Morzas

01-20-2011

I'd rather lose a 25 minute game and win a 35 minute game than win a 50 minute game. You get more IP that way. Of course, my motivation for playing Ranked is a bit different from most people's.

Dragonk

01-20-2011

Quote:
Morzas:
I'd rather lose a 25 minute game and win a 35 minute game than win a 50 minute game. You get more IP that way. Of course, my motivation for playing Ranked is a bit different from most people's.

Good one lol, lets hope people get the drift.

Shaella

01-20-2011

I have no problem with the surrender button in Normal
but in ranked. gtfo.

BACKSTABUUU

Recruiter

01-20-2011

I hate rage surrenders, there are those games where a surrender is the best choice, like having a feeder or rage afker, but let's face it, how often do you really surrender games for those reasons? It makes me so angry surrendering a game we could win so long as that one guy would stop crushing team morale.

Benign Sentinel

Recruiter

01-20-2011

Your motivation for playing ranked is to get IP by surrendering at 25 minutes if the game isn't dominant in your team's favor?

More support for removal of the surrender button.

Shaella

01-20-2011

Quote:
Morzas:

You know you can farm IP in normal games too, right?

I don't even play ranked, and you're the reason why it sucks.