(Guide) An intricate guide to going mid as Warwick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FelixPhoenix

01-28-2011

make it stop ;_; he's too gewd

Alyzar

01-29-2011

^_^

Wolvenborn

01-29-2011

Superdadd, nothing personal, but your arguments don't hold much water unless you've tried the build. I'm not a super high ELO player or anything (highest ever I was around 1500, currently at 1400), but this works.

No matter how you think the game "should" go, here's how it usually goes:

If I'm mid, I completely shuty down their carry. By the time I'm level 9, I have 2 levels on their mid and have either killed them a couple times, or at the very least shut them down on CS and exp. If you play lanewick right, you are one of the best harassers in the game. Once you get your ult....the person in your lane HAS to respect that...or else they risk dying to you.

Usually, I start to control the lane so fast in my games as midwick, that the other team's jungler has to come try to gank me extremely early to get it under control. I usually force the other player to go back to shop very quick...and get a head start right out of the game. I even had one game where the other team's jungler had to come and 2v1 me in mid...for 4-5 minutes. Either way it's a win.

As for the second part of the argument: I can't comment yet on the magewick build that Alyzar has posted, but the tankwick build I posted does NOT get weak at the end of the game. It actually GAINS in power. I become vritually impossible to kill yet still doing a very high portion of dmg in a team fight (especially when I get my SF cape). In one of my last games, I had one goal....to take the enemy ashe/anivia out of team fights. And I was able to. I ult bird....and simply go after her. She was completely taken out of a team fight, and had to run from me....or die.

either way, I'm not quite sure why I'm posting so much about this. I'd rather people keep playing WW in the jungle and let me lane.

Also, FYI: I've been experimenting and WW in a 2v2 lane is JUST AS POWERFUL. I have no issues being behind early, and I still hit like a truck. I also give my team a very very strong chance at FB. At the minumum, if you put a another person with me in a lane....the other team isn't going to push.

So in the end lanewick > junglewick from my experience...or at least IMHO.

Alyzar

01-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvenborn View Post
superdadd, nothing personal, but your arguments don't hold much water unless you've tried the build. I'm not a super high elo player or anything (highest ever i was around 1500, currently at 1400), but this works.

No matter how you think the game "should" go, here's how it usually goes:

If i'm mid, i completely shuty down their carry. By the time i'm level 9, i have 2 levels on their mid and have either killed them a couple times, or at the very least shut them down on cs and exp. If you play lanewick right, you are one of the best harassers in the game. Once you get your ult....the person in your lane has to respect that...or else they risk dying to you.

Usually, i start to control the lane so fast in my games as midwick, that the other team's jungler has to come try to gank me extremely early to get it under control. I usually force the other player to go back to shop very quick...and get a head start right out of the game. I even had one game where the other team's jungler had to come and 2v1 me in mid...for 4-5 minutes. Either way it's a win.

As for the second part of the argument: I can't comment yet on the magewick build that alyzar has posted, but the tankwick build i posted does not get weak at the end of the game. It actually gains in power. I become vritually impossible to kill yet still doing a very high portion of dmg in a team fight (especially when i get my sf cape). In one of my last games, i had one goal....to take the enemy ashe/anivia out of team fights. And i was able to. I ult bird....and simply go after her. She was completely taken out of a team fight, and had to run from me....or die.

Either way, i'm not quite sure why i'm posting so much about this. I'd rather people keep playing ww in the jungle and let me lane.

Also, fyi: I've been experimenting and ww in a 2v2 lane is just as powerful. I have no issues being behind early, and i still hit like a truck. I also give my team a very very strong chance at fb. At the minumum, if you put a another person with me in a lane....the other team isn't going to push.

So in the end lanewick > junglewick from my experience...or at least imho.
qft

Exemption

02-20-2011

Dude, you totally copied me! Haha. Im sure uve played against me in some match and saw my wickedness. I tried posting a guide like this earlier, but sumtin screwed up with the post and I gave up lol. A little hint, the survivability from ga and wits end is nice and all, but if u get doran, boots, then madreds u 2 shot any carry that doesnt have an added hp item about 25 minutes into the game. Usually midwicks already 18 at this point and their poor crippled mid is around 13-15. Also, soon as u get madreds and malady, grab blue buff and go solo baron. Usually comes in at around 25-27 minutes (id recommend at least lvl 15, havent been able to do it at 14 without a tiny bit of help yet). As to the people who cant see why ww should mid, ww's ability to lane control in a SOLO lane is just absolutely ridiculous. Lot of times, ww can just literally cut the enemy mid off or completely cripple them. A small gank from just about any champ during ww's ult is also just ridiculous. I slightly disagree with ur item build, but im sure it works fine. the way i build him is just super ridiculous super burst. Literally. Never seen a ww do that much damage that fast. but yeah, hes squishy. just like any other super carry :P

Helicrom

02-20-2011

Cleary under summoner lvl 30...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzar View Post
Changelog
1/21/2011 - Updated Item Build
1/26/2011 - Updated Item Build

DISCLAIMER
DISCLAIMER
DISCLAIMER

This is not meant to be the replacement of Warwick as a jungler. I understand that he is, and always will be, an amazing jungler, (although given how the current jungler metagame is built around ganking, I feel there are better choices.) This is simply a guide to a play style that I found to have amazing potential.

WARNING: Make sure you read the entire guide to learn my reasoning for doing the things that I do. Do not skip to the item build or you might not have success. Please do not try it once and then flame this thread or flame this thread whilst failing to try it at all.

Click

ryzeonline

02-20-2011

BRILLIANT. I love creative builds, ideas, and playstyles. Wow man... bravo on you. Did you perfect this just by playing midwick a lot? lol...

Oenophile

03-01-2011

Wow...

Alyzar

03-01-2011

Quote:
Dude, you totally copied me! Haha. Im sure uve played against me in some match and saw my wickedness. I tried posting a guide like this earlier, but sumtin screwed up with the post and I gave up lol. A little hint, the survivability from ga and wits end is nice and all, but if u get doran, boots, then madreds u 2 shot any carry that doesnt have an added hp item about 25 minutes into the game. Usually midwicks already 18 at this point and their poor crippled mid is around 13-15. Also, soon as u get madreds and malady, grab blue buff and go solo baron. Usually comes in at around 25-27 minutes (id recommend at least lvl 15, havent been able to do it at 14 without a tiny bit of help yet). As to the people who cant see why ww should mid, ww's ability to lane control in a SOLO lane is just absolutely ridiculous. Lot of times, ww can just literally cut the enemy mid off or completely cripple them. A small gank from just about any champ during ww's ult is also just ridiculous. I slightly disagree with ur item build, but im sure it works fine. the way i build him is just super ridiculous super burst. Literally. Never seen a ww do that much damage that fast. but yeah, hes squishy. just like any other super carry :P
I came up with midwick after seeing a random post about it on the forums, so I doubt that. Also, regarding your suggestions..

Wits end + Guardians is essential to playing WW properly. Only a bad player would get no survivalbility on a carry, so your argument that I can 2 shot carries who don't get survivability seems silly to me.

You should also do baron at level 15 when it spawns or whenever it's safest for your team.

The reason why you think Warwick is squishy is because you probably stack unnecessary amounts of damage on him.

Quote:
Clearly under summoner lvl 30...
Nope.

Quote:
BRILLIANT. I love creative builds, ideas, and playstyles. Wow man... bravo on you. Did you perfect this just by playing midwick a lot? lol...
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, that's more or less what I did.

Seanner

03-01-2011

Having played against this myself as a few different champs, I can say some effective counters:

1. anything that keeps you in the lane against him (regen, lifesteal, spell vamp, etc.) His actual pushing ability and tower defense is terrible. If the game was entirely 1v1 with each player trying to out-tank the other, the non-WW will be able to down towers vs him. His effectiveness is because he punishes you in small bites now and then that you typically haven't prepared for, until you have to leave the lane. But if you ARE prepared for it, he's in a sense just a big minion that you aggro all the time

2. executioner's...keeps HIM out of the lane...the cooldown on that item is extremely short

3. wit's end...WW is hugely mana dependent to get his lifestealing super-attack, and the MR counters his abilities...these two items alone are huge

4. chalice...mana champs may well need the mana in the annoying attrition battle, and you get even more MR

5. insert ultra-carry item here for ADs (bloodthirster, etc.) and win the game with a single boomerang

Here's an example build as Vlad, maxing W for tower defense and health regen:

regrowth -> treads -> visage -> revolver -> QSS -> WotA -> deathcap -> sell regrowth -> get whatever as 6th item, and in an actual 1v1 you could get executioner's or wit's end to actually try to kill him, but this build will make you last forever while at the end giving you enough power to straight push and kill things with reasonable AP

Example as Sivir:

basically just follow the recommended build as it has chalice and starks built in, the MR, lifesteal and regen you want. Don't throw boomerangs or ricochets, you can't kill him and you need the minions to lifesteal, but then he can't kill you either. Pick up wit's end and executioner's and now he's in trouble. Finally, in end game you will have a full bloodthirster and can one-shot a whole wave for the winning push