Vladimir Masteries and Abilities

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nexangelus

01-20-2011

So I picked up Vladimir last night and have been enjoying him thus far, although I can't say I'm that great with him. After looking at a few builds online and watching the Riot Champion Spotlight, I noticed that many people recommended 21 points in utility and others lean towards 21 defensive mastery.

What is your opinion on this? Do you prefer the increased health and damage reduction, or the increased buff duration and decreased summoner ability spells? Both seem viable to me right now, although I don't have a very profound knowledge of this champion.

Ability-wise, I'm having trouble pinpointing the exact range of Tides of Blood, which the game says is "nearby", I believe. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the range on that?

If anyone would also like to include their typical item builds, it would be greatly appreciated!

Anarchy656

01-20-2011

I generally prefer going 9/0/21 on Vlad, as he isn't enough of a tank to warrant a x/21/x build neither is he squishy enough to require it.

As a rule of thumb I usually estimate Tides of Blood radius to about 1 Vlad-width.

Boots or Ruby for starters followed by Spirit Visage, CDR boots and Rylais. After that I get Zhonyas hat, followed by whatever I feel I need based on the game. Either more AP or a defensive item (although this is kinda rare since Vlad usually is beefy enough at this point).

Cheers.

ROOFonFIRE

01-20-2011

Agree with above poster on mastery selection. However for item I go tome/pot followed with my first return of hextech revolver and boots1 with the subsequent return of wota and cdr boots. Wota as first item really makes you able to outlast almost anyone, gives your team a sweet aura, and can be built in little chunks if you happen to be having a bad game. Follow it up with standard rylais and rabdon for most games. Works for me, but you have to play smart.

MistaEm

01-20-2011

9/0/21

Tome/pot
Mejais, boots
boots>sorcerers or ionian
deathcap
zhonyas
the magic resist/AP staff forgot what it was called
Spirit visage/guardian angel

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2011

Quick and dirty version:

9/21/0

Tome + Potion
Sorc Shoes
Rylais
Will of the Ancients
Warmogs
Abyssal Scepter
Hourglass

AznDoug91

01-20-2011

I believe the range for tides of blood is the same for the range of transfusion, maybe a little bit longer, but I think it's safe to say that if you can cast transfusion on someone, you should be able to follow up with tides of blood.

I play a more defensive vlad as I go 9/21/0 and start with a doran's shield. I rune with flat ability power quints, hp/level seals, magic pen reds, and ap/level glyphs. I like doran's shield for the extra armor and regen as well as a nice chunk of health, and with the runes I use I start with 25 ap as well, but with a fair amount of health and a nice bit of armor and MR. I usually go for rylai's, sorc's boots, and then deathcap. From there, I usually double stack red and blue elixir and then go for hourglass if I need the active, or abyssal scepter if I need the MR. Then my next item is whatever I didn't build before. My last item is usually will of the ancients, but I've been experimenting with lich bane as you can proc the item using tides of blood and towers will go down pretty quickly with it, and the added movement speed and magic resistance is pretty good.

LilBoy Blue

01-20-2011

i've tried 3 different mastery builds with vlad, all with about the same results. 9/0/21, 9/21/0, and 10/19/1

on defense vs utility:
defense gives resists, 60 health, 2% dodge, 4% AP(this is actually pretty **** good), and 4% damage reduction. you also have the option of swapping the 4% reduction for improved ghost and smite.
utility gives 6% xp, 3% move speed, 6% CDR, summoner spell CDR and improved ghost.

really i think it comes down to how highly you value CDR. 6% is a lot and all on it's own makes a strong argument for utility masteries on nearly every character in the game. but vlad also benefits greatly from the health and ap in the defense tree, also the resists, dodge and damage reduction compliment his naturally high health.

Sacull Kinslayer

01-20-2011

9/21/0 has zero wasted points and maximizes Vladimir's damage. Utility does not. The best thing about Utility is the speed. Yes there are some other nice things in it but overall the Defense Tree, for Vlad, offers the most offensively and defensively. That is the beauty of Vlad. But the biggest thing the Defense tree offers is the early game survivability. Because THAT is when Vlad is at his weakest. The Defense tree makes those first several levels easier to handle.

Amp Tome + Health Potion to start. Vlad doesn't need anything else to start. You will start the game with ~626 HP and 39-40 AP.

I take advantage of Hextech Revolver (building to Will of the Ancients later), Ionian Boots (if you use these I recommend CDR runes if you have them, Ap/lvl runes otherwise and for Sorc Shoes), Haunting Guise (replace this with Abyssal Scepter later if you need the space), Rylai's, Rabadons, Abyssal, and Zhonyas last (if at all).

This build is cheap early. leave mid at 1700g to buy your boots and Revolver. It builds fast up to Rylais. And you will love the added spell vamp for ALL your spells. ToB becomes an offensive juggernaut when it heals you back. Oh and your Q will be on a 2.23 sec cool down. Spam away.

You will have well over 4k HP and over 700 AP with this build. Survivability and damage at its finest. Unfortunately for me I haven't had a game go long enough for me to finish the build but once since I went to this build.

And I have tried almost every other build out there and have used the Utility tree as well. Extensively. The above is what I enjoy the most. And am having some amazing success with.

If you have any other questions here is the guide I designed and use. http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...evamping-18177

AutomobileX

01-22-2011

I do:
Doran's Shield (if solo lane/mid lane) / Amp Tome
Boots 1
(Mejai Soulstealer if owning/other team sucks)
Spirit Visage if you haven't gotten many kills/Rylai's if you've gotten 3 + kills
Rylai/Spirit Visage
DeathCap
Randuin's Omen (usually you should get this, the cdr and active is very good)/Banshee's/Guardian Angel

Heiral

01-22-2011

9/0/21 is the way I play. Playing w/ defensive masteries isn't a bad way to go, but I like to carry with vlad.

Dorans shield + Hp
Mejais Soulstealer
Mpen Boots
Rylai
Deathcap
Zhonyas