************** POPPY Questions **************

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tokinatoor

01-24-2011

An AD poppy can farm up a storm after her Trinity Force and Infinity edge (or other item).

Yeah she's never as good as Vlad at farming but she is probably better than Blitzcrank at it.

Aemon Darkstar

01-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinatoor View Post
An AD poppy can farm up a storm after her Trinity Force and Infinity edge (or other item).

Yeah she's never as good as Vlad at farming but she is probably better than Blitzcrank at it.
At the point you get those items, teamfights and mass ganks should be happening far too often to farm. And you are an integral part as Poppy in these.

Also, Blitzcrank can easily use his ult for farming, just like Lux, since it has a very low CD once he gets some CDR.

LogiicKiil

01-24-2011

I currently build AP poppy i've seen a few decent AD poppy but in my experience AP works the best with her. I can't tell you the masteries as im only a 20 but as far as itemization goes

Deathfire Grasp (the active is extremely useful for 3 shotting people)
Lich Bane
The Magic Pen Boots
i find archangels staff works well as well
Rabadons is decent but imo hourglass is best the 50 armor increases her survivability by a little bit and the invulnerabilty is nice.
then insert whatever you wish.

Now Lichbanes passive makes it on spell cast your next physical damage is increased by 100% so Use the Active on Deathfire then Devastating Blow(Q) Then your charge move since your charge counts mainly as a physical attack and if your able to position yourself to were when you cast your charge it slams the enemy into the wall when you have Q maxed you will have the time to slam them with Q again use your W to get away from tight spots or for that extra bit of damage. and your ultimate use it on a enemy that is currently not hitting you very hard and focus on the target at hand making you invulnerable to the enemy your beating the S!@# out of using this will make you almost 4 shot everything. now madreds can also be used depending on how hard that tank ont he other team is to bring down just remember lich bane deathfire and pagic pen boots are a needed thing for AP poppy

Frogboybri2

01-24-2011

Poppy is good mid game. She is not a hard carry, she is not a tank. There are three ways to play her.

Burst AD: Triforce, merc boots, Mallet. You jump in, pound their face, and make sure they stick around long enough for the rest of your team to finish them off. This is the best build early game since your Q will hit like a truck.

Burst AP: DFG, Lich bane, Deathcap, Sorc boots. Suicide bomber. You jump in, one-shot their carry, and die. It's a fair trade since their carry is far more dangerous to the team as a whole than you are. Your team cleans up the rest of theirs. This is the best build late game since it is expensive as hell.

Hybrid: Rageblade, CDR boots, Nashor's. Balanced output focused on your Q. This is the best build to end games early. Not too expensive and it allows you to burst them down to half with few items and still have enough physical output to finish them off. I prefer this build.

Things to know:

1) Her ult is severely flawed. It goes away if the target dies. This is why AP poppy is suicide bomber. You have to use it on your target, then DFG, then combo, then they die and your ult is gone. Non-AP poppy should ALWAYS ult someone without a stun/massive dmg to ensure it lasts the full duration and she doesn't get stunned in the middle of it.

2) She can't farm. At all. You are completely reliant on kills. Pick a lane partner that can either help you finish people off or babysit you, because you have to play very aggressively early. Poppy is able to do frightening damage with just a Sheen before level 10, but afterward her performance falls off. Get kills early or you're going to remain a larva all game.

3) You can build tanky if you want, but you're not a tank. You have no way to control a fight or protect your team. Tanky items are just so you don't explode when your ult falls off.

*Extreme late game (45-60+ minutes) I prefer to build her as a phys carry with a bloodrazor and a couple of PD's. She becomes almost uncatchable due to run speed, her Q continues to hit hard since it is percentage based, and you use your charge just for its stun, not its damage. I have gone toe to toe with a fed Master Yi in an hour long game when I had 2 PD, Bloodrazor, Stark's, and Triforce. When gold is not an issue, a hard phys-carry build is just frightening.

Aemon Darkstar

01-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogboybri2 View Post
Poppy is good mid game. She is not a hard carry, she is not a tank. There are three ways to play her.

Burst AD: Triforce, merc boots, Mallet. You jump in, pound their face, and make sure they stick around long enough for the rest of your team to finish them off. This is the best build early game since your Q will hit like a truck.

Burst AP: DFG, Lich bane, Deathcap, Sorc boots. Suicide bomber. You jump in, one-shot their carry, and die. It's a fair trade since their carry is far more dangerous to the team as a whole than you are. Your team cleans up the rest of theirs. This is the best build late game since it is expensive as hell.

Hybrid: Rageblade, CDR boots, Nashor's. Balanced output focused on your Q. This is the best build to end games early. Not too expensive and it allows you to burst them down to half with few items and still have enough physical output to finish them off. I prefer this build.

Things to know:

1) Her ult is severely flawed. It goes away if the target dies. This is why AP poppy is suicide bomber. You have to use it on your target, then DFG, then combo, then they die and your ult is gone. Non-AP poppy should ALWAYS ult someone without a stun/massive dmg to ensure it lasts the full duration and she doesn't get stunned in the middle of it.
Wow, I disagree with so much of this.

Burst AD: Why would you not get Sorcerer's Boots to capitalize on your high Q damage (from high AD)?

Burst AP: Wrong. Hardly suicidal, and not as expensive as you're thinking. Just scroll back 1 page and you will see my post discussing gold required for core build of each type of Poppy. Her mid game is, in fact, VERY strong.

Hybrid: Again, refer to my post on previous page regarding build cost. Hybrid is IMO inferior to burst builds. If you're hybrid, you're giving the enemy time to escape. Burst them down before they can get their bearings.

1) Ummm wrong. You are not the initiator. Not in the least. You wait for a teamfight to erupt, tunnel vision their carry, and destroy them. If you do your job, your team will win after that. If your Charge is good, you will take minimal damage from carry and kill them in under 3 seconds. As soon as that is done, just run or Charge/Q the next squishy, depending on the state of the fight. Since CCs will be on CDs, you will get away or get another kill/assist.
I am not just spouting this btw, its personal experience. If you time it right with good Charges, teamfights WILL go in your favor. Of course if you have moronic teammates who like focusing the enemy Garen, its another matter.

These are just my experiences with Poppy though.

Argodis

01-27-2011

I usually build Poppy as a hybrid leaning towards AP.

I always go with Trinity Force as it leaves me open to going either AP or AD. Next item is always DFG. After that, I look at the items of my opponents. If they're mostly stacking MR then I go for IF. If they're leaning towards high armor or just a good mix of defensive items, I aim for Hextech Gunblade for the added damage and also gives me a bit of survivability. Sometimes I forgo the 3rd DPS item and go straight for a defensive item such as Thornmail/FoN/Banshee because as Poppy you need to be stronger than the person you Ult.

Gunflame

01-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVr View Post
DFG is not to be used on runners, that's Ignite's job (you might forget it, I do too, but only DFG on runners if you are certain only with using DFG on them you kill them)

No, you use DFG before you tackle someone for maximal effect, or you snipe some other target after primary target has escaped.

DFG is also the reason why Pop is so hilarious against enemy Vlads. I smile each time I see one, because no Vlad ever buys MR, but gets a load of HP and thinks he's safe. I like to kill them in one combo just to show them how foolish they are. It's stupid, but whatever. It's all fine if you show some no-skills Bladimir the borders of his arrogance.
Talking about Vlads... Yesterday I was Veigar. I got to solo and I got killed 2 times during laning phase... he also took the top tower when I was dead.

He believe he had it all figured so... Veigar is ****.. So he bought Nedlessly large rod and eventually Deathcap.

Eventually I got Tear, DFG... ... Vladimir with Deathcap, Sorceress boots and a tome vs Veigar. He was lvl 14 I was lvl 11.

Because of some smart moves we pushed to his tower. Sion stuns him (380 AP vlad... he was fed). I proceed to Event Horizon lvl3 =>Dark Matter=> DFG=>Ulti=>Q. 1.5 seconds later "An enemy has been slained". I litterally took 95% of his HP in less of 2 seconds.

I only had 200 AP... but his 380 AP added that's 580 bonus damage. Add my base from the ulti, 40% of his HP from DFG, about 350 from Q and another 400 from W and he was GONE.