************** POPPY Questions **************

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aemon Darkstar

01-21-2011

There is one rather big problem with hybrid Poppy, in that you REALLY need items. AD Poppy only really needs Trinity Force (4080g), Sorc Boots (1100g) and random AD item, e.g. Bloodthirster (3200g), totalling to 8580g, plus whatever gold you will spend on pots/wards in game. This is really the best you can hope to obtain, even in the games you are carrying hard (speaking from personal experience).
Similarly for AP Poppy, you need DFG (2650g), Lichbane (3470g), Sorc Boots (1100g), totalling 7220g, adding in another 1000g to make allowance for 4 Blue elixirs, meaning 8220g.

For hybrid, you need Nashors tooth (2885g), Guinsoo's (2235g), Hextech Gunblade (3625g), and one of Trinity Force (4080g) or Lichbane (3470g). That totals to 8635g PLUS 4080g for Triforce or 3470g for Lichbane. That's the kind of money you will almost never get to see. If you DO get to see that kind of money, then AP Poppy with Rabadon's Deathcap, or AD Poppy with a second Bloodthirster will get you better results, in all honesty.

Also, Tiamat on Poppy? I'd like to hear a rational explanation for that one o_O

Dunkelzahn

01-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedimasterDarren View Post
I just bought Poppy after the free week. She is a lot of fun, but I am a Noob with her, so I was hoping some of the Poppy pros could help me out.

1) Her passive seems amazing for surviivablity. Does the 50% reduced damage if the damage exceeds 10% of her current health apply pre or post resistances? For example, if she has 2000 HP and has 100 effective MR, would a 200 damage spell trigger her passive to take 50% or would it have to be 400?
I'm not quite sure, to be honest. I've never actually researched her passive in-depth, and I main Poppy. ;[

2) Again, on her passive, if teemo is attacking with malady and a bloodrazor via autoattack, I assume each special effect is applied against her passive. Thus, 20 magic damage, plus 80 magic damage from razor, teemo's passive toxic shot plus basic attack would each be a different source.

Quote:
3) I know there are good AD and AP builds, but what about something tankish? I am talking about a light tank build like Sion using AS/crit with atmas and a banshee's veil. It seems poppy can survive well and dish out damage. Any suggestions? I have not tried this yet, but something like:

9/21/0 Cleanse/Exhaust

Treads
Trinity
Aegis Legion
Banshee's Veil
Deathfire Grasp
Frozen Armor (reach 40% coolddown) or offensive item

Focus is on resistances vs. HP with her Q dealing out good damage still. She can initiat and survive well, yet focus on a squishy DPS with her W, ult, E, Q
If you can farm up that kind of build as Poppy, the worst farmer in the game, then I salute you. That said, a little survivability goes a long way. Try to prioritize a Banshees over something like a Frozen Heart or Thornmail, since as a melee DPS/nuker/whatever you think she is, CC will still totally bone you over.

Quote:
4) What is most critical to understand about Poppy in your opinion?
1) You're the worst farmer in the game. Bar none.
2) You thrive on making a squishy's day absolutely miserable. If you have tunnel vision, you can play Poppy. If the enemy squishy carry or what-have-you isn't wetting himself or herself at the mere mention of your name, you have not succeeded.

fELonius1

01-21-2011

I personally suck with AP poppy, but do very well as AD. It's a slightly different playstyle, and as someone who plays a ton of udyr, AD poppy feels more intuitive to me. Both are viable ways to play... AP poppy will burst harder and will kill a lot of squishies before they can react, while AD poppy will burst pretty hard still (but won't 3-shot people) and do more sustained damage. It's also much easier to farm with AD poppy, so if the other team is cautious and isn't letting you farm them, you'll have a better game as AD.

Destabilizator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2011

I'd like to support AP Poppy riders, her dmg is... just pure obliteration, I can't think of anyone able to dish such horrendous amounts of dmg in 6s.

2OP - what is most critical about Poppy:

1) your ult, if you use it offensively pumps up ALL the dmg you do to ulted target, all skills, DFG (uber dmg), ignite, you name it - that's the main reason ppl pick DFG, no carry can survive this burst
2) your goal is to nail enemy carry, they can't do anything about it (I absolutely love playing Poppy on Karthus free week, Karthus always leaves after 0/4 in first minutes)
3) you farm champs, not minions
4) Philosopher's Stone helps laning, but take only one please, otherwise you are gimping your dmg by delaying Sheen
5) her passive is pure awesomess - don't stack HP

My usual build:
- Philostone if it looks like sucky laning (a lot of harassment) or Doran's Ring (with this you break 1st breakpoint for DFG the moment you finish it)
- Sheen
- Shoes
- DFG starting with Kage's Lucky Pick
- Lichbane
- depends, if you need surv, GA works wonders, otherwise Rabadon's, Void Staff or Abyssal Scepter, all works, but you'll prolly never get here

As for Tiamat, people try to use it to help Poppy farming. I wouldn't recommend it.

Mambazo

01-21-2011

You failed with DFG? How so? DFG is core to AP poppy, there is no ''subbing'' it for nashor's tooth. Remember, ult>DFG>charge>DB>ignite if needed. If your target is still not dead, DB again.

I always take ghost and ignite. Ghost is straight up the best summoner spell out there, and it's particularly amazing on poppy, letting you get into position with impunity with W and ghost up you have like 550 movespeed, and ignite is great for finishing people early before your DB does insane damage, and remember your ult boosts the damage ignite does.

Keep trying with DFG. Don't give up on it, AP poppy is super fun to play and I've actually gotten people to call poppy overpowered when i play her.

ChrisH

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2011

poppy IS overpowered

Narvuntien

01-21-2011

I got 2/19 with DFG... I get 13/3/ with nashors....perhaps it was just a horrible team??....but I improved a huge amount getting nashors instead.

I can't use DFG in the heat of battle... I almost never use item actives it is just too hard to click them. having a whole build rely on one items active seems flimsy.

I use ignite flash.. I flash up to people that are running away and erase them.

I have seen no loss in power playing this way... attack speed means more autoattacks during the stun.

I normally play casters I have casters runes....but I don't like DFG as an item... even on Swain or Lux where many think it is a core item.

Dunkelzahn

01-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvuntien View Post
I got 2/19 with DFG... I get 13/3/ with nashors....perhaps it was just a horrible team??....but I improved a huge amount getting nashors instead.

I can't use DFG in the heat of battle... I almost never use item actives it is just too hard to click them. having a whole build rely on one items active seems flimsy.
Depending on which slot your active item occupies, you can hit that number (from 1-6) on the number row on your keyboard to activate that item. For example, I put DFG in my third item slot so I literally hit R + 3 + E + Q.

ZXPrototype

01-21-2011

I just read OP saying something about "what if their tanky..."

Ignore them then. The most action you might see in your gameplay from them is casting your ult on the tank to survive. Poppy=anticarry which means you should be tunneled vision on whoever deals the most damage(also meaning they are probably the most squishiest). Combo em, make them kurshsplode, then run away.

Aemon Darkstar

01-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvuntien View Post

I use ignite flash.. I flash up to people that are running away and erase them.

I have seen no loss in power playing this way... attack speed means more autoattacks during the stun.

I normally play casters I have casters runes....but I don't like DFG as an item... even on Swain or Lux where many think it is a core item.
It takes a while to get in the habit of using item actives. Its easy to goof up on it and it took me a fair time as well. But, especially in Poppy's case, its WORTH IT. The DFG active hits a target for 30% of their current health. If the target is ult'ed with rank 3 ult, that's 40% more damage, meaning an EXTRA 12% of their current health in damage is dealt. That's huge. And that's not even counting in AP (DFG deals another 3.5% damage in health per 100 AP). So you should try to practice using it, it will greatly help.
Also, a DFG and mana regen yellows and Meditate are all you need to solve Poppy's mana problems.