************** POPPY Questions **************

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JedimasterDarren

01-20-2011

I just bought Poppy after the free week. She is a lot of fun, but I am a Noob with her, so I was hoping some of the Poppy pros could help me out.

1) Her passive seems amazing for surviivablity. Does the 50% reduced damage if the damage exceeds 10% of her current health apply pre or post resistances? For example, if she has 2000 HP and has 100 effective MR, would a 200 damage spell trigger her passive to take 50% or would it have to be 400?

2) Again, on her passive, if teemo is attacking with malady and a bloodrazor via autoattack, I assume each special effect is applied against her passive. Thus, 20 magic damage, plus 80 magic damage from razor, teemo's passive toxic shot plus basic attack would each be a different source.

3) I know there are good AD and AP builds, but what about something tankish? I am talking about a light tank build like Sion using AS/crit with atmas and a banshee's veil. It seems poppy can survive well and dish out damage. Any suggestions? I have not tried this yet, but something like:

9/21/0 Cleanse/Exhaust

Treads
Trinity
Aegis Legion
Banshee's Veil
Deathfire Grasp
Frozen Armor (reach 40% coolddown) or offensive item

Focus is on resistances vs. HP with her Q dealing out good damage still. She can initiat and survive well, yet focus on a squishy DPS with her W, ult, E, Q

4) What is most critical to understand about Poppy in your opinion?

Thanks for your input.

exiledgolem

01-20-2011

From my understanding the only way to play poppy is ap. Your sole role is to kill squishies. You can pratically 3-4 shot them at higher levels with deathfire grasp (sp?). 9/0/21 seems better. Protip... forget which spell it is but it's the one that does more damage if the enemy collides with a wall. Practice practice practice. Force the opponent where you want them. Also certain objects can be considered walls. Rest is up to you. Good luck.

Narvuntien

01-20-2011

I also await their answers because I also had heaps of fun with her last week and bought her.

I am wondering if Hybrid would work.
Treads
Trinity
Nashors
Hextech Gunblade.

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2011

I have always done alot better with AP poppy than AD, running this Poppy Guide

You really dont need that much survivability on Poppy, with your passive and your ultimate, you should be able to accomplish your goal, tank items are more end game for her.

s4ntana

01-20-2011

Above posters are right, AP Poppy is a beast. You will 3 shot any squishy that has not invested in Banshee's Veil.

The guide above is pretty much perfect for explaining the build and how it works.

Mambazo

01-20-2011

AP, AP, AP. Only way to play poppy in my opinion. Poppy can fill one role and one role only, exploding their carry with impunity, and she does it better than any other champ in the game, however she literally ****ing sucks at EVERYTHING else.
You need no survivability, if you are in a fight and you haven't ulted someone, you are doing it horridly wrong. Pure AP is the way to go. I go dorans ring, then deathfire grasp/sheen/sorc boots, not necessarily in that order, then turn sheen into lich bane, then deathcap, then whatever will work best against the enemy team. Late game, like 45 minutes, if you have done decently, your Q will smack carries that invested minimally in survivability for 1000, and its on a 2.4 second cooldown with max cdr. Noone can survive that once they've been marked with her ult.

Aemon Darkstar

01-21-2011

I personally play AP Poppy, but AD Poppy is also a successful build from what I've seen. As for your questions-:

1. If damage exceeding 10% of her current health is dealt to her, only the part of damage OVER that %age will be reduced by 50%. And it is applied post-resistances.

2. You don't want to fight Teemo. Ever. Really, you don't. Unless you ult someone else on his team and THEN smash his pudgy face in.

3. See, IMO you usually don't need tankish. You either get in a fight and kill your target, or you die. There's no mid-ground generally. But since you ask, an AP build allows for some resistances from items like Abyssal Sceptre and Zhonya's Hourglass. Also, always Always ALWAYS get Sorc Boots on her. The damage boost is worth it.

4. Her farming sucks. Ult increases ALL damage you deal to target, including Ignite and Deathfire Grasp. Using an ult defensively isn't always bad. Ult-ing the target you actually WANT to kill is NOT a noob thing to do. Ult-ing a target that can CC-rape you IS a noob thing to do. Charge against walls, always. Amendment: Charge to catch up to a runner if you're sure you can kill them.

That's really about it I guess.

Hannor

01-21-2011

Played both ap and ad poppy. Ap is slightly better early, while ad is slightly better late.

Hybrid poppy doesn't really work, though. Too many items required to be effective.

MarcusDraken

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-21-2011

I did play hybrid Poppy a bit (40-50 matches) and i did quite good.
Primary items where:
Tiamat
Guinsoos rageblade
Nashoors Tooth
Hextech Gunblade

Guinsoos and Poppys passive W gives a great synergy and nashoors AS boost empowers it even moore.

Narvuntien

01-21-2011

yeah I am liking Nashors tooth on her... I thought Tiamat was a joke item?... I am having trouble getting the gold for Hextech unfortunately.... I didn't think that poppy spams her abilities enough to stack Guinsoos.

tried the DFG... I failed horribly... nashors works much better. the high CDR allows me to use w to start and to escape a fight. Although I am having trouble late game. I get good starts but fade rather quickly.