An Argument for Babysitting

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shatterlight

01-13-2010

Alright lovelyrita, good arguments on your part. ^.^ Although, for the multitarget part, I think Crowstorm would beg to differ. I can probably argue on the other points, but I won't, so I don't waste any threadspace unnecessarily. Like I said, just wanted your reasoning as to why one should play a 'babysitter' as opposed to an offensive support, and you provided that quite well.

Well put together counterarguments, and good aims for keeping this guide focussed. I look forward to reading the next two, or possibly three(?), sections.

EDIT: Just thought, another counterargument you may choose to use in the future is that Fiddlesticks is TO good at harassing. Sometimes the enemy can be pinned right up against the tower, cowering in fear to much to counter you. This prevents your teams carry from getting the food he needs, because it is sitting at 20% health under the tower. I have had it happen a few times, and accidentally starved my teams Ashe (and Twisted Fate, our mid, to a lesser extent) once doing it.

DEE ESS FAIR GIG

01-14-2010

Alright, on the subject of runes, I can't tell you much. Even though I've been playing since beta, runes have always been a pain to get. Runes take a while to get (especially for those of us still buying champions that we play every so often, even longer for those buying champions they like a lot). They used to be random, so deleting 300 or so runes after you got the combination you wanted was a barrier to sifting through the random runes. I can, however, tell you a few things I've learned.
1. Runes benefit assassins and carries more than they benefit other characters.
2. Very few quintessences are beneficial relative to price.
3. Many runes are just not worth getting unless you plan to fill a book with them.

Given that, you don't need to do a ton of damage, so you don't need many runes. This is a topic on which I'll ask for help from the community, but as a preliminary recommendation, I'd go with evasion. These are expensive. A greater quintessence will run you 2050 or so, and a greater seal is about 850. The best runes in the game, based on loose talk, are for:
Armor Penetration
Critical Damage
Magic Resistance
Magic Penetration
Evasion
Armor
If someone else tells you otherwise, I'd take their word for it. They probably tool around with runes more than I do.

For ease of reading, Alistar guide will be in the next post.

Judah the Lion

01-14-2010

Needs moar Zilean

DEE ESS FAIR GIG

01-14-2010

Alistar
We're back in the realm of tank babysitters after a brief walk through Jannaland. Alistar is exceptionally good at setting up allies for kills, especially early game. He's good at soaking up damage, an excellent carrier for an oracle's elixir, and in general, a nice guy to be around.

The skills:
Colossal Strength
Alistar deals extra damage to buildings. Nice. You're one of the best pushers in the game, especially when you have the damage (in the form of your baby) to back you up. Combined with your ultimate and healing, you can tank up tower damage when there are no creeps around, and still manage to kill it. This is a perfect skill for a babysitter. It doesn't encroach on the ability of a carry to do well, and you'll be able to make use of it, unlike kayle and her passive (not to say that kayle isnt an awesome babysitter)

Pulverize
Pulverize is an aoe stun. Think of it as a smaller version of malphite's ultimate. You'll knock people up into the air, but you have to be next to them to do it. It lacks the rush up to the target, which was unstoppable force's selling point. If it was as good as malphite's ultimate, malphite would see less use. Nonetheless, it's an area of effect stun that lasts a decent amount of time, and is best used with his next skill. Remember that leveling this skill doesnt increase the stun time, so you don't need to level it much. Level 1 should be good until you max triumphant roar. When multiple people are chasing down a team member, use this skill first to stop them from getting to your ally.

Headbutt
This is how Alistar sets up his baby for kills. Alistar usually slams the ground and then headbutts the hero back towards his champion. This works extremely well, and doesn't really lose effectiveness based on which heroes you are facing, as the main benefit is the displacement and not the damage. If you get this at level 1 with a carry who has exhaust, it's possible for you to grab an early first blood by knocking an enemy into a dangerous area while they are slow. Make sure you don't try this against enemies with cleanse or flash, as they will escape. This skill creates problems with people new to alistar and his role on a team. Headbutt does have a decent range, but this does not mean that it should be used on escapees. You're far too likely to headbutt them out of danger when you're chasing them to use it then. Unless you are an experienced alistar player with a very good gauge of how much damage you will do, you should refrain from using this skill on fleeing enemies, even if they have low health. When one person is chasing down an ally, use this skill first to knock them back. Heroes like master Yi then have to decide quickly whether they can stand being pulverized by a tower and get the kill, or if they have to go away. Experienced players will pull off. Newer players will go for it, and often net you a kill (unless another ally is nearby, in which case they should try to kill the person). As a further note, attempt to headbutt enemies into towers that aren't attacking creeps. They'll take a great deal of damage.

Triumphant Roar
Triumphant roar is where most of your early game skill points should go. Do not get it at level 1 unless your team plans to kill a neutral creep as soon as possible, and even then pulverize may be a better choice. Take this spell at level 2 if the opponents are largely unhurt, your champion is taking a lot of damage, or the opponents are playing too close to the tower for you to get at them. Otherwise, get one level of either pulverize or headbutt to start with, my choice usually being pulverize to stop early killers like shaco from getting an advantage, and 2 people from jumping out and exhausting your carry for a kill. Then get a level of headbutt if you got pulverize at lvl1, or a level of pulverize if you got headbutt at level 1. After that, put skill points into the roar whenever you can. This can keep a carry alive and works even better the more they farm. It also will sustain a push and make it more difficult for an enemy to get a last hit if timed correctly. Remember that you need to be right next to the target in order for this spell to heal them, it has a small range.

Unbreakable will
This is a cleanse combined with damage reduction and bonus damage. Use it when you're tanking up damage in a team fight. Use it when you're snared. Use it when you're pushing, with or without creeps. The ability to get out of debuffs and come to an ally's aid is one of the reasons alistar can succeed as a babysitter. Take this skill whenever available, you'll be able to tank and deal more damage for 2 seconds longer each time.

Items:
Boots of Swiftness
Alistar's ultimate gives him a huge amount of damage reduction, and he has a huge amount of health, so you don't need ninja tabi or mercury's treads. He's slow, so he needs the movespeed. He'll be tanking once he has his ultimate, so boots of mobility aren't worth it. Simple.

Sheen
Deal more damage to towers, cheap (relative to the other items), deal more damage to enemy champions when you're setting your carry up for a kill. Don't forget to whack an enemy champion after you headbutt them (unless it will kill them).

Mana Manipulator (starting item)
Alistar shouldnt be too endangered by lack of health, if you notice you're taking a lot of damage, take roar at level 2 and the problem is solved. You'll restore mana to allies, and it makes two very groovy alistar items, which are up next.

Innervating locket
This is a standard item for alistar. It works well wit hthe roar, but remember that it shouldn't take precedence over your boots. It's an expensive item, and you can't afford to delay your boots for long with a hero as slow as him.

Soul Shroud
You might want to consider making the first mana manipulator into this and not a locket if your carry needs more help from you or you find yourself pushing more often than you thought you'd be. Innervating locket should be taken first if the enemy team has harassers in your lane, like ashe, fiddlesticks, nunu, or teemo, or if your creeps aren't making it to the tower for whatever reason. Soul shroud should be taken if you find that things are moving too slowly in your lane and you need to clear it out. Both provide max health to you and mana regen to your allies. Innervation locket has health and mana for allies when you cast, soul shroud has cooldown reduction for allies, and more often than not it comes down to a matter of preference.

Aegis of the Legion
Excellent tank item, excellent support item, increases damage for your allies and creeps, A+++++ WOULD BUY AGAIN.

Banshee's Veil
A nice tank item that is a bit of a luxury on a heavily debuff-immune champion like alistar, but is still almost never misplaced on a tank, and increases ability to tank late game.

Summoner Skills
Alistar really only needs 2 summoner spells, and despite ghost being a decent spell on him, I would recommend these spells over ghost almost evey time.

Flash
This is how Alistar sets up his baby. He isnt a very fast champion, but a flash will still get you close enough to pulverize the ground and get them into a kill position.

Cleanse
Being able to cleanse twice (in the cases of enemies who stagger their disables or attack your carry frequently) allows you to always support your baby. If you're able to stay free of debuffs almost all the time, it's impossible to stop you from protecting your baby whenever you're near and alive, and you'll be near-impossible to kill.

Mistakes people make
Going for damage: This happens infrequently, but almost never works. The extra 60 damage from the ultimate is not license to kill.

Headbutting incorrectly.
Headbutting enemies away from your pursuing teammates elicits a groan from anyone who saw it. This is one of the worst things you can do. If you're in doubt as to whether or not they will die as a result of headbutt, don't do it.
Headbutting enemies into an ally is no small joke either. Just because an enemy is going into dangerous territory does not mean that headbutting them further in is a good idea. You increase their chance of getting a kill because you want to get a kill. This is bad behaviour in a babysitter.

As a side note, if you're being chased, you can headbutt an enemy that is ahead of you for a burst of speed.

DEE ESS FAIR GIG

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah the Lion View Post
Needs moar Zilean
No, it doesn't. Even if zilean has just been buffed, he's a squishier kayle with a worse ult. Kayle's ult is her selling point, there's not limit as to how much damage it can prevent. Zilean's ultimate disrupts the flow of battle on a carry. Kayle also slows attack speed. Zilean is a bottom tier hero at the moment. Taric isn't one of my favorite heroes to play, but he's a noteworthy babysitter. Zilean is meh.