How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

c33tz

03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
I think people are forgetting Riots business aspect.. once a new champion arrives there is some 'prestige' and a sudden will to try out this new champion, enough so that people will purchase riot points to unlock (goes with the nice 6300 IP cost so people don't wanna save that much for a new champ as is so common with their new 'great' champions)... if the champion is free in the first week, Riot makes no money because everyone can satisfy that "spark" per-se and suddenly the champion isn't so glorious enough to spend $xx (or 6300IP) to get. People need to understand that Riot can't exist and host "free" game for people without some income, and they are doin quite well from what I see and know what they're doing. Hopefully ppl can stop trying to interrupt their efforts (by asking why new champions can't be free the first week) now understanding this :P.

TysonWhite

03-01-2011

i don't necessarily think new champs should be in the rotation the week they come out, but maybe a set time like the next week or the week after that. i kinda think that no champ should be in a rotation more than once say in a 4-6 week time period; this would allow other champs to be rotated through faster.

PirateMetalTroy

03-01-2011

Having new champions for free the day they come out maybe. Lots of people play it, and after a day, they have to unlock...if they like the new char, they'll buy, if not then they don't have to waste 6300 IP or $15 on RP.

Perhaps a temporary unlock feature is in order? 450 IP gets you any champ you want for 24 hours. It keeps people playing the game (to get more IP to try more characters) and generates interest in expensive characters (for n00b players like me) who after a couple weeks of casual play barely managed to scrape together 3150 IP to take a chance on a character I've never played before.

I don't like doing anything blind, but it's unreasonable to sit around for weeks on end playing characters i don't have any interest in while waiting for someone interesting to pop up.

Pythonhier

03-01-2011

I got a recommendation for the next weekly free champions. Cassiopeia, she is rarely ever used, and I am sure that if she became free and some people could try her, she would be used alot more. For example, I want to buy her, but I don't want to buy a character that I'm not good with. So I would like to try her first, and if I do then I am sure there is someone else in the world who would too.

Tehdrew

03-01-2011

I think it would be a bad idea to make all champions free eventually reasoning being that it will take away the reasoning for the IP in the game. also it takes away some skill value because people no longer have to plan out, "should i get this champion or this champion" because all of them will be at their disposal. I actually like having to buy the champions because it adds some sort of balance and some reason to think out in and out of game

erikolmillos

03-01-2011

Yo creo que deverian poner en rotación cada campeón que sale nuevo y luego al azar. Saludos me gusta mucho el juego.

Romako

03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
Ok theirs 10 Champions Every week right?? Well what if you divided how many oh each got put into the roatation according to IP?? Like 3 1350's and 3 3150's and 3 6300's you know something sorta like that i think if your trying to let new players preview all the champions faster i think that would work

GloriousTemple

03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
Riot games wont make new champions free the first week because its one way they make money. People who are really motivated to get the new champions but dont have the ip will spend money to ger rp.

Mikki

03-01-2011

Quote:
Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Personally, I think every champion should spend equal time in free use.

Sure, have a few easier ones every week, but rotate them so they spend the same amount of time.

And why just focus on new players? Some more experienced players who don't buy RP, but just earn IP for champions, therefore they may not have many, may want to try something new and challenging. So you should have some champions that are harder to play every week as well.

As far as people asking why the new champions aren't free the first week, I agree that they shouldn't. LoL is a great free game and some people are getting too greedy. When a new champion comes out people would like to try the champion right then, and buy it. If they could try it for free, why would they buy it? Then you only get the people who fall in love with the champion enough so they buy it...

Just my opinions...
Love you Riot!
-Mikki

isaprince121

03-01-2011

I think you need to have maybe half of the champions be difficult and half easy so new and old player can get a challenge to get a better game experience.(and maybe give anivia some love?)