How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DooDooDan

02-25-2011

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

lol the actual answer should look something like this.

A Yes, because some champions are "cooler" and more overpowered than others we would much rather have you pay for the ones that are "cooler" and more overpowered. Enjoy getting owned!

Zoraf

02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstriker View Post
is this a cool idea? Yes.
Would people abuse the hell out of this? Hell yes.
Is it REALLY easy to get enough IP to get 3 champions?... yep.
i Mean It Would Help some one to do that but It would be Hard For People to Do good cuz i KillING So Much They Would get best Guys on The Game So Rilly.

Pirateelfdog

02-26-2011

Can we have twitch free one week soon? I've been playing for a long time, and as a level 23 I don't remember a week in which twitch was free.

Nox Fortuna

02-26-2011

11 weeks since Karthus.

You're gonna have to do it eventually. *evil grin*

AncientChrono

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2011

Reading through the thread, considering every opinion and forming my own was interesting...

Basically, I agree with those who say there should be something of a pattern in the champion rotation- Somebody said something about having 4 easy champions, 3 mediums and 3 hards every rotation? Yeah. That'll work out fine so long as the numbers adversely represent the ratio of average champion difficulty. More champions per rotation would be quite nice as well... I'd like to buy some 6300 champs, but I'm not entirely sold on them/want to try them out beforehand spending weeks worth of IP. If I don't like the champion? Very discouraging to continue playing LoL. I am level 28 and I've never bought a 6300 Champion somewhat because of this. That, and I'd much rather buy a runes or champions that are >4800 IP. Because there's so many champions out there now,(and furthermore, there seems to be no slowing the pace in which they come out) shouldn't it only be logical to throw a couple more champions every rotation? It'll only make people happier, and make games less predictable- which is good. It'll make new players learn more early on, and add diversity to early level games.

I kind of also agree on the "having new champions free the week they come out". Good for business, bad for balance. Riot will never truly know if a character is OP, UP, glitchy, stable, etc. etc. until the players put the champions through the paces. Getting that out of the way faster is better right?

Now for a little bit of biased-ness... Less 6300 champs please? I understand Trundle is the first 4800 champion, but it really hurts my wallet to see so many 6300s. I hope to some day own all the champions I like but it's pretty difficult if they all cost a lot. I guess I can see Riot wanting to see less of the more advanced characters, but let's face it- around levels 20+ you start seeing a lot more bought champions, and there is no object of real 'Control'. At that level, it is very easy to buy at least one or two 6300 champions if your filled up with tier 2 runes. Forget all IP boosts and include minimal wins even. If a level 20+ wants a character, they'll get it. Bluntly: 6300 is just a little too steep. Far more rewarding to grab two opposite 3150 characters, learn/ master them, allowing the player to adapt to whatever lineup his team has and familiarizing the player with different character types quicker. Is there any kind of reward for the average player to get a 6300 champion aside from personal prestige? Not entirely...

My solution to everything: Give Demo's for champions! allow them to be used for just a small amount of IP, can only be bought once, and allow the champion to be used 2-4 matches. This will allow the player to explore the champion, to see whether the "glove fits". Would this idea not be the perfect solution?

Iamabandaid

02-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientChrono View Post
Reading through the thread, considering every opinion and forming my own was interesting...

Basically, I agree with those who say there should be something of a pattern in the champion rotation- Somebody said something about having 4 easy champions, 3 mediums and 3 hards every rotation? Yeah. That'll work out fine so long as the numbers adversely represent the ratio of average champion difficulty. More champions per rotation would be quite nice as well... I'd like to buy some 6300 champs, but I'm not entirely sold on them/want to try them out beforehand spending weeks worth of IP. If I don't like the champion? Very discouraging to continue playing LoL. I am level 28 and I've never bought a 6300 Champion somewhat because of this. That, and I'd much rather buy a runes or champions that are >4800 IP. Because there's so many champions out there now,(and furthermore, there seems to be no slowing the pace in which they come out) shouldn't it only be logical to throw a couple more champions every rotation? It'll only make people happier, and make games less predictable- which is good. It'll make new players learn more early on, and add diversity to early level games.

I kind of also agree on the "having new champions free the week they come out". Good for business, bad for balance. Riot will never truly know if a character is OP, UP, glitchy, stable, etc. etc. until the players put the champions through the paces. Getting that out of the way faster is better right?

Now for a little bit of biased-ness... Less 6300 champs please? I understand Trundle is the first 4800 champion, but it really hurts my wallet to see so many 6300s. I hope to some day own all the champions I like but it's pretty difficult if they all cost a lot. I guess I can see Riot wanting to see less of the more advanced characters, but let's face it- around levels 20+ you start seeing a lot more bought champions, and there is no object of real 'Control'. At that level, it is very easy to buy at least one or two 6300 champions if your filled up with tier 2 runes. Forget all IP boosts and include minimal wins even. If a level 20+ wants a character, they'll get it. Bluntly: 6300 is just a little too steep. Far more rewarding to grab two opposite 3150 characters, learn/ master them, allowing the player to adapt to whatever lineup his team has and familiarizing the player with different character types quicker. Is there any kind of reward for the average player to get a 6300 champion aside from personal prestige? Not entirely...

My solution to everything: Give Demo's for champions! allow them to be used for just a small amount of IP, can only be bought once, and allow the champion to be used 2-4 matches. This will allow the player to explore the champion, to see whether the "glove fits". Would this idea not be the perfect solution?
tl;dr

30Bala

02-27-2011

Hey... can u guys free anivia for a sec? men... i never see her free since i started the game and im now lvl 22 >.<

Dreggon

02-27-2011

Well, if you take requests, I'd greatly appreciate free Vladimir. 6300 is a bit steep to pay for a hero I've never seen, and apparently he's only been free 3 times.

Veigar's been free, like, 10 times. More, even.

Wolvereness

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2011

I think you need to update the way you decide which champions will be free. The champion tags have been recently updated, and the recent weeks are not reflecting this. Direct link to a representation: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...CPTR0mU#gid=17

Divide the weeks into 1 assassin, 2-3 bruiser, 2 carry, 2 mage, 1-2 tank, 1 support.
Your excel chart must be defunct now because it hasn't been posted in quite a while; the two real reasons behind this are obvious. You can easily check types in the spreadsheet I have at http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=239631

qwertyKr0n

02-28-2011

I personally would like to see a bigger pool of free champions to choose from. I think 10 is a little low.