How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raigekijin

10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredmana View Post
This week seems incredibly hard to play for beginners. I'm currently trying to introduce a few players to the game, but feel they'll give up if they are stuck with squishy, high positioning, exceptionally quick moving(Such as dashes or backwards dashes) or difficult champions to start out with. I feel that many players that start out with difficult champions for "free week" are going to feel too confused/lost to continue playing and get better. Especially with the number of twinks these days.

While I do enjoy that we have rotating champions and it encourages players to purchase when the week is over; I still feel as some of the original 40 cheap (260RP/450IP) and easier to play champions should remain static over these changing weeks. I suggest no more than 3-5 as I understand the need to collect a profit and business smarts.

Those that are brand new aren't even sure of why the champion selection changed, nevermind the various mechanics and abilities in the game. I believe having a static champion(playing the same champion) through-out the weeks when the player is just learning the mechanics of the game would help significantly ease the learning curve and encourage more people to keep playing once they try League of Legends.
Honestly, Syndra is one of my main champions and I personally don't find her that difficult. Each person is different and they could pick her up in a few days. If you just keep complaining about "hard" champions on free week "every week", then what's the point of having a free week? It's to rotate as many champions as possible, and if someone is having an off-week, maybe there will be someone more suited towards their tastes next week.

There's a pattern to the rotation and they have fairly "easy" champions every week.

Lunaris Knight

10-09-2013

can we have diana f2p next week?i wanna try her out before buying her

MagnaVis

10-09-2013

Can Riot create some skins that can be free for the Halloween week just so new players can get the enjoyment on a new skin for their favorite character?

Synner

10-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

- RiotChris
OK this one i think could possibly be changed. Lets be honest, Riot Games is all about the money. And imo a great way to make money is to make the champion free the week of its release. Then, the week after make the champion 10%-25% off with RP. This to me seems like a fantastic idea, it gives the players time to play the new champion and fall in love with him/her/it, then when they cant play him anymore and they see him on sale that would make them want to buy this champion.

And i have one more thing i think you should add. I think you should have a section in the forums where people can design the abilites and looks of a new champion. I think this is also a great idea. Of course with this one there is going to be trolls but there always will be but to me this sounds great. You are going to be able to get the ideas of what players want in a champion. Or you could make it so when you guys want to release a new champion you could just have this section of the forums open for only a week or 2 instead of it always being open. And if you guys end up choosing the player made champion, that player gets the champion he has designed as a reward.

Just my thoughts

Benny Boom Bots

10-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
I was always thinking about this but never really knew I could give you guys my ideas/opinion. I was thinking, what if you looked at the popularity of champions (like how played they are etc) and used those to rotate in some of the champions that aren't played as often. This would generate new interest in those champions to keep them from "becoming obsolete", or just generally unplayed. Also, any new players starting off would have to use those champions and would most likely get the hang of them and they might become their "main" somewhere down the line.

By the way, the great thing about this is that by rotating in the "least played" champions, those champions will always have more people playing them. Therefore, the next rotation will have a new 10 champions that were "least played" for that week. Soo.. How bout it? I've been waiting for some champs I'm curious about to become free to play so I can try them out before possibly purchasing them. This could help with that.

Misterjay124

10-10-2013

Just thought I'd sign in to make a suggestion for the next free champs: ziggs and darius.. not only have I been wanting to try them out, but they also haven't been free in a loooong time last I've checked

xxgearguyxx

10-10-2013

I think you should let the players pick who

Flade

Recruiter

10-10-2013

Can Orianna and Ahri be free next week? Please?

Ambadasdor

10-11-2013

I would love to see Nautilus, Ziggs or Orianna next week.

SnickersTeKitteh

10-13-2013

Karthus, Lucian, Jinx LOL (that wont happen) But they all look cool and luc and jinx r new