How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Youseishi

09-08-2013

I would really like to see Kennen, Akali, Syndra, Ezreal, Kha'Zix, and Master Yi.

Devious Ramen

09-09-2013

Why not try a vote poll on which champs to use?

GospelH20

09-09-2013

I really wish you would not make Riven so frequent. She is free almost once every 3 weeks and I am very tired of seeing her in almost every round, killing everyone. She is very easy to play as,but not easy to play against.
Just my opinion, Thanks

Flamewind11

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris

OK the new rotation is out, and seriously? double rengar? Why can't we have Yorick for once? sure there are some champs this week I do want to try out but come on, champs like Yorick have never been free to play, you want feedback? then actually put all the champs through the rotation, don't exclude champs because they are hard to play. Also I heard rumors that Rengar is going through a massive rework but why? Everyone loves him the way he is now. Well there's my feedback for you.

captainsparklzes

09-09-2013

for the next champion rotation you guys should put hacarim in one and maybe fizz

Bearfooted

09-09-2013

Rengar was likely chosen due to his incoming PBE rework, and it'd make some level of sense to see how often Rengar was played as he is now, and why.

Yorick is almost never free because he's supposedly an awful champion for (newer) players to be exposed to because he can be potentially viable and so a possible serious pick, but on the other hand is so incredibly boring to play as or against that it'd be best if he was hidden away until his rework occurred.

PCP Warden

09-09-2013

Godamit...and i bough TF two days ago...fml!

Bumfighting

09-10-2013

Okay if there IS a Master Yi-like change in the cards for Rengar, then ignore this. Otherwise.... My IRL friends and I almost always play ARAM, especially whenever the MOBA-newbie friends want to play... And honestly, getting rengar in the team seems to be an automatic loss, unless it's the most experienced of us that gets stuck with him. regardless, its almost never fun rengarring against a Teemo, for example. He may be "simple" in other games (a very jungle-dependent jungler imo), but he becomes a LOT more complex in other modes.

Also, some people ONLY like/have the attention span for the fast-paced flow of ARAM... aka ASORAM (all sort of random, all middle)... So named because certain members the circle seemed absolutely doomed to get Rengar. I mean 2 different friends getting Rengar more than every other game for the whole night. You made up for it this week though, with all the great arammers at the top/bottom of the list... But only just. Maybe adding in a reduction to the chances of getting any one champion for a couple games after playing with him. Im definitely ignorant about programming a proper randomizer, but i dont see how my buddy is getting Ashe, and I Jayce, 3 times in a row, and then in the fourth game, I get jayce, and he rerolls another champ that he always gets into another Ashe... Lol.

Maybe this post belongs in a different thread, but I felt the urge to throw my two cents into the pile. I guess my point is that double rengar effs me up unless you plan on making him able to fly, or at least jump buildings in a single bound. Thanks!

AwesomeNameHere

09-10-2013

how bout Riot controll their ports a bit better and stop allowing sniffers to see who is aginst who during blind pic's and killing other ppls game when they see they are bested.

FIX YO SHEIAT!

Got Jayce

09-10-2013

I like league of legends