How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Killamasta

06-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Good suggestions Giggz (and welcome to the US forums). However, some of the Champions have positive or negative synergies across types. For instance, if we made Twitch and Shaco free the same week, it would be stealth-city. Or what about Ryze, Morgana, Blitzcrank and Malphite - that would be stun-ville (but they're all different types). That could happen coincidentally if we used lists of types, so I like the personally-tweaked rotations rather than automatic (and then we can listen to player requests). It also ensures that we have enough easy Champions in the rotations - our #1 goal.

- RiotChris
I think that Giggz is onto something here, I wouldn't necessarily make them all random because of the very good points you made. But however try to synergize the champs so it's not, as you put it, stealth-city or stun-ville. But make it so that they have a little mix going on which would make it much easier for people to test champions before they decide to buy them.

Hope this helps a little -Killamasta

Honorene

06-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
So this is how you do it.
I was totally off, I thought Blizzard just like to nerf ****.

russell westbr00

06-18-2013

wht time do they come out

Deathhopper

06-18-2013

[QUOTE=SinfulHope;509763]this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

I agree The quicker you give the new champions the quicker we will have feedback.

Ryanwolf33

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao View Post
Personally I'm looking forward to the week of April 1st, when they run 10 yordles.
Are they really going to do that?

doombotMECHA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2013

yeah. they do it every year.

Tentrian

06-18-2013

This is probably a BAAAAAD idea, but would it be possible for one day of the year that all the champions are free to play, but only for that day? The reasoning behind this is that I always want to play that one champion that looks interesting (like Diana) and it takes ages for it to pop up in free to play. Now I could just buy her, accept that she costs 6300 IP and I don't spend rune points. Which leads back to why you made weekly free champions, so that people could taste and buy later, but the taste takes forever and you just save your IP and than you hate the character. That is why a "Free Day" might be a good idea.

tehemperorer

06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentrian View Post
This is probably a BAAAAAD idea, but would it be possible for one day of the year that all the champions are free to play, but only for that day? The reasoning behind this is that I always want to play that one champion that looks interesting (like Diana) and it takes ages for it to pop up in free to play. Now I could just buy her, accept that she costs 6300 IP and I don't spend rune points. Which leads back to why you made weekly free champions, so that people could taste and buy later, but the taste takes forever and you just save your IP and than you hate the character. That is why a "Free Day" might be a good idea.
So you want which taste of the candy bar before buying it you scurvy urchin?

EpicConquest

06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehemperorer View Post
So you want which taste of the candy bar before buying it you scurvy urchin?
Sir, i believe he said he wanted to try a piece of every candy bar... like some kind of hobo shoplifter.

Fapsterbate

06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentrian View Post
What the ****.... are "Rune Points?" .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c