How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DanielDoom

04-22-2013

You have a perfect system in my opinion. I'm a player who has yet to reach level thirty and doesn't pay for RP (yet). The fact that you are giving these chances to try out every character is awesome. It definitly helps me to find out which I want to buy with my IP or save up to buy. It also is helping me to figure out which characters to buy when I finally buy RP.
Another great part of it includes the fact that I can try out a veriety of different move styles. This system allows me to try out different styles of play and find the one I'm best with. It also helps me find the style of play I need to work on. Plus, the rotation aspect gives me the chance to play htese styles without getting bored by playing the same character over and over again...like I did with Annie.
Anyway, I personally enjoy this system. If you decide to change it, okay, but hopefully for the sake of those who enjoy it, you won't chage the good parts.

P.S.: I love this week's rotation, can't wait to try them all

OxeScareCrow

04-22-2013

I love how it lets me choose the champions I most likely end up buying. I love how the one i wanted to try before buying pops up for free to play. it makes me so happy that i didnt waste RP/IP on that character if i didnt like him.
One thing though is i wish you could buy a skin for a champion even if you didnt own him(i know it sounds trife but i would like an awesome skin while its on sale!half off or more)!

Again best system for champions and was an old DOTA player so i love the concept and idea behind it.

AS for Champions!!! i want to see like an ALL tank LINEUP or an ALL carry Lineup. that would be fun to spice it up in my opion if you did that once in awhile. or ALL equal stat chars.
-----I want to see jayce and Jarvan IV, and defintely the voidwalker Kassiden or Mordekaiser.
First post sorry for the length ~~~~

OxeScareCrow

04-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Killer ARG View Post
I think you can put maybe torick,elise or talon in the free week :3
I agree with those too i wana see talon in there

DanielDoom

04-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Killer ARG View Post
I think you can put maybe torick,elise or talon in the free week :3
I really want to try Elise.

Darthdummy

04-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
I was not thinking of a pattern but I am level 29 at the moment nearing level 30 and I'm going to be wanting to buy more challenging champions but I would like to test them out. One thing I would like to see for free champion rotation is less common champs or champs that take more skill to play.

Another idea (though it would be difficult I assume) is possibly different champion rotations for differently skilled players.

For example:

-Beginner low price champions for novice players so they can try out new champions and then buy them at a price affordable for new players levels 1-10

-Apprentice difficulty or most commonly played champions for moderately skilled players at levels 11-20

-Adept difficulty or commonly played champions for advanced players at levels 21-29

-Expert difficulty or more rarely played champions master level players or level 30's

thummy165

04-22-2013

For every 2 cents i get every time someone said it, i'd have 2 million cents?

Delimon

04-22-2013

This free week has me happy

Rhenway

04-22-2013

Can you make rengar free to play soon because i want to play as him badly and i don't have him yet

lokedogy

04-22-2013

(SUGGESTIONS): 1-Most important to me is have you guys ever thought of spinning Summoners' Rift from diagonal to side to side such as Twisted Tree Line? If not has there been any thought on being able to change the HUD options such as move them to top of screen or being able to zoom out to the point you can see the end of skill shots range? As Caitlyn playing from the purple side you cannot see the end of her Q poke and when targeting it your at a disadvantage to the Blue Spawn.

2- My suggestion for free champs would be to have 2 champs from each price point. Makes 10 champs and 2 should be Carrys. 2 Supports. 2 Tanks. 2 Fighters. 2 Pushers.

3- Make the new Champs free after patching them in because personally i will not buy a champ without first playing with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris

abudi123

04-22-2013

why cant u guys give us free riot points every lvl?????!!!!