How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FxFuzZusionz

03-05-2013

I dont Think that letting the champion that cost 450ip free because the they could be bought easily and most players have 450 ip champs

Thutrian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolh4x0r View Post
this is serious guys
i want to buy karma after looking at her lolwiki page (sleeper op support huehuehue), but want to test her in game before buying her to see if i "click" with her. Since i started LoL in october, she hasn't been free even once in the 20 weeks which is 20X10=200 free champs. Any chance she can be free soon?

also, releasing quinn on the same week cait, queen of adc lane bullies, was free, was probably a bad idea. (grammar?) so maybe not release champions the same week their hard counter(s) are free?
Karma is currently under work, if you didn't know. That's probably why she hasn't been available in a while. I had the same thought you did and ended up buying her. She's fun, but really not viable right now. She needs to much gold/xp sucked from her ADC to work well. I think waiting until she gets reworked (which is who knows when...) might be a good idea. Or you could get her now and be ready for it. Either way, I don't think she'll be showing up free any time soon, sorry.

Honduras

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2013

hi mom!

blowjab

03-05-2013

You guys might find this thread mighty useful.
Champion Rotation Info Thread

AvadaKedav

03-06-2013

Can you guys please put Fizz on. I have never tried Fizz before.

supersolider1

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
SO FREAKING TRUE!I bought Varus,VI and Fiona like that exact way.

DonDon3971

Recruiter

03-07-2013

DARIUS and DRAVEN

Aerothix

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
Now see, here's the problem with that. New and Upcoming Champs are always in free champ rotation in a week relatively close to their release, so everyone does get a chance to try and give feedback on the champ in question. The reason they make it this way is, don't quote me on my conjecture though, Riot needs to make money for the hard work put into making the new champ. In order to do that, they feed on the anticipation players have and make the impatient ones buy the champion early, whether it be to get the edge on the champ, or just to have it for novelty, it's very obvious that this strategy works. Many will try new champs, but will stick to the one they know best, by making impatient players buy new upbeat champions for the edge, it encourages players to try something new AND stick with it, afterall, that's their hard earned money they used. Of course, I can't actually speak for Riot, but if I were to run a game, this is, financially, a very good tactic in engrossing experienced players to continue to try something new.

Now for my own two cents, I noticed that the rotations are heavily based on competitive champions aimed for an offensive assault. While older community members probably approve of this, I do not. Reason being, this gives new members to the LoL community a very offensive take on the game; thus, it creates an unbalanced team in which everyone attempts to go for what's best only attack-wise. Of course, as they play, the countless beat downs will teach them the importance of a well structured team, and they will modify their game style and champion selection accordingly, but I believe by then it's too late. By starting a new player off with a selection, and not just focusing on offensive push, the chance of that new player choosing a champ better suited to him/her is greater, and thus, they have the ability to hone their abilities for that particular field early on in their gaming career. I believe this would create a more achieving atmosphere for many players, on top of giving older players a harder challenge against the "youngins," pushing them to strive harder to stay seniority.

Eloquid

03-08-2013

Give me Shaco, Karma and Draven to try ffs. If I see Nasus-MF-Amumu-Annie again I'm gonna throw up in my own throat. I'm so sick of Riot trolling us with cheap free champs. No, I'm not one of those who buy before he try.

Gifted

03-08-2013

The real question is.

Why allow free champs in ranked games?

Designed by same tards who thought of the matchmaking and league systems?