How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IIRozenII

02-12-2013

@Tazimuss

Wow man so much anger. Chill. As they said they pick those who think will help the most to the new players. Teemo is a hot pick nowadays and is easy to play so they put him frequently. Also if they made some changes bugfixes etc they want to test how did that go and often they put the champion as free to play so they can get more feedback. You recently started so you have a lot of champions for 450 you can get in a day of play. I dont know why you are so demanding.

FraggingBard

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazimuss View Post
I just started playing and have only seen 3 champ rotations. In this time, Master Yi and Teemo have been in TWO of them.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1865087

Useful thread. That double Yi/Teemo thing is a fluke btw. Statistically speaking you want a sample size larger than 3 in order to draw definite conclusions. Keep playing, have fun, and rant after you've seen 150 or so.

TheFriendlyUncle

02-12-2013

oh look, this necroed again

Kakarotto

02-12-2013

lol they changed the champ rotation twice today

I am Japanese

02-12-2013

Stop ****ing necroing, god damn

Kylan

02-12-2013

I've been waiting for Vladimir to come free for awhile now, I'm desperate to learn how to play vlad, but I don't have enough IP to waste on him.

xTheft

02-12-2013

When is Fizz going to be free, I'd really like to try him out ^^

xTheft

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazimuss View Post
On top of Riot obviously putting certain champs in the rotations because they want money, Fiora and Thresh aren't free this week, like it says they would be. Come on, dudes. Be a little less blatant with ur greedyness. Btw, I have Fiora, and don't want Thresh, but I looked at the rotation here and found that they, in fact, lied. Shame, Riot. Shame.
Uhm I am pretty sure they did put Fiora and Thresh in? I have played him today lol.

chaos4140

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

there are many champs that i have not seen on the free rotation in many months and soem that are picked almost every other week. Syndra for example has not been free in ages yet annie is very commonly free. Riot needs to make a balance of champs best for new players and for old ones that want to try a champ they haven't played in a long time

xStrangler

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
Am I the only one that notices the spelling/grammar error? On the second question's answer it says "Yes, because some champions are simpler to play THAT others." Shouldn't it be "THAN others" just putting it out there Riot, might want to edit that. It confused the HELL out of me for like 10 minutes until I found out what you guys were maybe trying to say. Please fix