How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xuelixon

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
I'd have to slightly disagree with this. You guys pick champs that are easy to get..That's all nice and everything..But what about the champs that have been RARELY in rotation at all? I mean c'mon.. giving us the same champs per week is kinda getting boring. We need better variety of it. Bring back moar 6300 champs!

McNipponator

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
Well i would really like to see some more 6300s free like rengar or khazix that would be great ty

DABEASTBOSSMAN

02-07-2013

They repet to many 6300 champions

Zarala Blacksun

02-08-2013

I think you should also add more difficult champions to rotations. May players who are more experienced don't always have money for riot points and influence points can take a while to to get so people are normally stingy on there spending of them. More veteran players want a challenging champion but would like to take them for a test drive to make sure those high cost champions are worth getting to them.

Shuzzah

Recruiter

02-09-2013

Can please have khazix and kennen really wanna check those guys out , cassiopia and diana should be free too and Ohh fizz and jayce too and last but not least talon . that yorick guy .... looks good too.

keenan537

02-09-2013

Quote:
If you want to hate something for not having a pattern, hate the lottery :P
Well the lottery does do their thing on a schedule, so...
But in all seriousness, i think your right.

TehFreeeman

02-09-2013

Can you give brand new players 450 IP to get a champion to start out with? This will allow better and harder champions for older players to try out.

DABEASTBOSSMAN

02-09-2013

Shuzzah I agree 100 percent

fireandwater67

02-10-2013

I wish some champions weren't free to play over and over. For instance I have never seen Karma, rengar, shaco, darius. Free to play but see ammumu regularly.

wizard jill

02-11-2013

Can you put Draven in the next week rotation please?