How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azurasha

02-05-2013

I've been playing for 6 months and jayce hasn't been free once. I really want to try him...

16 Remain

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao View Post
Personally I'm looking forward to the week of April 1st, when they run 10 yordles.
There are still only 9 yordles I think the whole of the LoL community would like to see more yordles.

Scott Lightning

02-05-2013

This needs to be updated as many of these things are not true anymore. For example, new free champions always come out on Tuesday. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris

Aerolex648

02-05-2013

will you ever make thresh a weekly free champions?

ChromeBarrel

02-05-2013

Thanks so much for this champion rotation. I've been planning to get Graves, and here he is, free for the week! thanks

Burnzetoast

02-05-2013

Karma needs to be a free champ

DABEASTBOSSMAN

02-05-2013

I have been playing for almost a year and haven't seen fizz, jayce, yorick, syndra, and trundle and more

Mookeypoop

02-05-2013

Some champions that i have not seen since the first time i been here is dairus and draven i was deciding on which to buy and then i decided to buy rengar for some reason

Pink Moon Bunny

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABEASTBOSSMAN View Post
I have been playing for almost a year and haven't seen fizz, jayce, yorick, syndra, and trundle
Because most of the were only on free week 2 weeks after their release yorick and trundle were practically forgotten along with Karma. Hell, even Sejuani had more free weeks than they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeypoop View Post
I can't decide whether to buy darius or draven because they are both too awesome.
But I will obviously buy draven because he's not draven but Draaaaaaaven.

DABEASTBOSSMAN

02-05-2013

Rengar hasn't been free sense I've played either they need to do more 6300 and 4800 champs and less cheap ones