How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Im Ur Friend

02-04-2013

cool now I get the picture I hope u guys have fun with all the work

Syndras Balls

02-04-2013

oh, so that's how it works.

TheSilentCobra

02-04-2013

I think Zed should be free. Im interested in him, but never got a chance to play. He was made a while ago, and i think has only been free once or twice.

Delingar

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeOrome View Post
I would love to see Vi and Talon in the free rotation sometime soon. Vi, because she's great and my girlfriend wants to try her. Talon, because I really want to try him out before using RP that I bought with real life money.
Vi was just free the week of Jan 14th so might be a while before she's free again.

Friklot

02-04-2013

You should put Rengar Darius Syndra Master Yi And Pantheon

Shocker524

02-04-2013

Aww I really wanted to try someone difficult, like Syndra. But for this week its ok. I wanted to try Graves, Xin, Viktor, Udyr and Nautilus. I could try Amumu as well. And why is Ryze a free to play character since hes very cheap to buy <_<

Quote:
You should put Rengar Darius Syndra Master Yi And Pantheon
Not Master Yi! A lot of people can buy this champion easily.

From what I checked in the champion rotation in season 3, Syndra was never a free to play character ;_;

Fish Fan

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually
- RiotChris
Well riot, you are performing first two goals really well. But few simple champs are enough. The rest you should try putting some 6300 champs who have been forgotten even by pro players. Not only will this dust off some forgotten but really strong champs but bring more diversity into the gameplay. Everyone who has been in lol for a while has tried all 450/1350 or even 3150 ip champs. But players are skeptical about spending big ips on champs who might not suit them.
Im not saying this as a noob who thinks 4800/6300 ip champs are better and i wanna try them for free. No, im saying this coz many of these champs are becoming forgotten( and honestly am bored seeing the same cheaper champs in pvp). Im sure everyone here will agree with me on this that you guyz should increase the no. of 6300 ip champs in rotation. And better bring the less famous champs( not champs like graves,ez,varus,ahri,brand etc everyone knows them already)
So my suggestion would be 5 simple chars( mostly 450/1350 ip) cowering different roles. And the rest 5 difficult chars ( mostly 4800/6300 ip) covering mostly the forgotten ones irrespective of roles.
Please tell me people if you think this makes sense, or i just suck.

figurenblack

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
well as nice as having the release week to try before you buy it would only bog down the games I have seen many players buy the new champ go to try him and when someone else uses him first they leave the game.Sadly it would be far worse if the champ was free the week of release for that reason I think its better that they are not.I have played many games where if players did not get the champ or lane they desired they quit or didn't play to their potential and making new champs free the week of their release would only make it worse.

Lypíphera

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually
This is very commendable and allows newer players to get the feel of the game without being overburdened at the start. The problem is that you tend to cycle through the low cost champions too much for the more veteran players. For example, this week has three 450ip champions that could each be earned in as little as two wins of the day. The veteran players either own all these types of champions or have played them enough to determine they are not what they enjoy. This can also be said of the 1350ip champions, though to a lesser extent.

By having this as the priority, it slows the preview of other champions (#3). This can simply be solved by having all 10 450ip champions unlocked for players under level 10 (or perhaps 15). This provides plenty of time for new players to get acquainted with how to play by having all the easier to play champions available. This would free up slots to allow for more of the 4800/6300ip champions to be selected in the weekly rotation, as new players already have the easier to play champions. By level 10 the newer players should have more than enough IP to purchase a select few champions they wish to use along with the weekly free champions. You could perhaps extend this to the 22 1350ip champions at levels 10-14 to further enhance their progression. Having all 450/1350ip champions at the start may be a bit excessive at the start (32 champions), but is another possibility. By ignoring point #1 it allows a much greater focus on point #3.

Point #2 is fine as it is, it allows players to test different types of champions week by week. Having all support one week, then all ADC the next would not be to anybody's advantage. Having a balanced mix allows everyone to try something new.

In the 11 week Pre-Season 3, there were three champions selected three times, and 26 selected twice. If things worked out perfectly all 110 champions could have been free to play once, however only 78 champions were free to play. While ~71% isn't that bad, what is bad is there are 9 champions that haven't been seen in over 6 months; Karma hasn't been seen in over 12 months, and Tristana in over 18 months . This indicates that point #3 isn't as high a priority as it should be.

TLDR: Free to play 450ip champions for levels 1-9 (or 14), skip #1

Blafl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-05-2013

thanks for the info!