How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SqueblyMench

11-13-2012

If Riot put in the new champion when it was released, you wouldn't ever get to play him until the week after or 2 weeks after because every time you entered champ selection it would be a race to see who can click the new champ first. Furthermore most people who do race for him don't take the time to actually read up about the champ so you get first-time players who have no clue what they're doing with this champ, and usually ruin the game most every time. So yes, it seems like it would be a good idea for feedback on the champ and fairness for game-play, but it would only cause disappointment and frustration and countless game dodges based on whether or not you can be fast enough to click the new champ first.

Ferr3t

11-13-2012

God damnit Riot, stop making Volibear free. I'm sick of seeing people screw up my main.

Dreamspitter

Recruiter

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDuSoleil View Post
If you believe this than you are also the kind of person that believes that the american government has never done anything deplorable, nor has it ever lied to the public about said actions.

At the end of the day the selection of free week champions is purely financially / marketing motivated.

Champs that most summoners already own appear more commonly as free to play each week. With that being said, certain free week champs are also strategicly chosen for other reasons such as 'recent tournament selections' & 'keeping up the appearance of acting in the consumers best interests'.

New champs will never be free in the 1st week of release as a LOT of people buy them, and their skins, regardless. This in fact leads to more sales for riot in the long term as they get both 100% of the 'can't wait' market and 100% of the well sounded 'I tested it, I like it'. Ps: new champs are most often released 'op' to further entice the market into 'can't wait' sales.

Everything that Riot does today comes from a deep understanding of their market. They are the kings of 'in game purchase marketing' and for this I respect them. They are very good at intentionally giving you, and then quickly taking away your IP (as you level up you need to buy runes / rune pages, so no IP is left for champ purchase). Riot's decisions of which champs to make free week come from the same line of thinking, which is in effect the bottom line.

If you wanna test that champ so badly, bow to the beast, pay the $5 and buy it. It's the only way.

@ Riot. Don't hate me. Don't science me, that will just make you more like the government I indirectly compared you to. Hire me
Dont "science" you?

WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN?

Who are you?

What are you doing?

DemonHall

11-13-2012

I think that there should be 1 or 2 of the "top picked" champions and 1 or 2 of the least picked, and 1 new one if available, 1 support, 1 tank.

XDC ida booty

11-13-2012

I'd like to see fiora fee next week. :3

Duh Pruffessuh

11-13-2012

Could you possibly increase the number of free champions that there are in a week? I have been playing the game for awhile and I basically own all of the simple to play champions. Most of the free champions every week are all ones that I own. I know you guys want to keep up with simple champs for new players but would it be possible to add maybe one or two more slots for better champs?
-Sean

Duh Pruffessuh

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternubs View Post
God damnit Riot, stop making Volibear free. I'm sick of seeing people screw up my main.
lol

Geostigma Cure

11-13-2012

Man, Next Champion Rotation Please Add Zed in it. I saw his Char Spotlight, I want to buy him. You Guys keep up the good work!!!! <(^_^)>

NinjAlan

11-13-2012

I know this isn't exactly a suggestion forum, but I'm going to formally request ezreal next as a free champ, I haven't seen him in a while, and I'd love the chance to try him as an ADC. Keep up the great work Riot, love you guys

VeRisiMiLaR

11-13-2012

Pls quit it with the Lux free weeks. I'm tired of seeing people butcher her.