How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tihealy

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Seraph View Post
Lately, I have been disappointed with the free champions. I know you guys are trying to keep the champs balanced, and I am not complaining about that. What I am complaining about, is that when am I going to play some of the new champs? Rengar came free once, and so did Syndra, but what about Zyra? Jayce? I wanted to spend my RP on them, but I wanted to try them first to see if I liked them. I waited about three weeks, then I just spent it on other champs. A suggestion. I know you guys are trying to keep the new champs from being free first week, but I would like to see the champs within the first month of coming out to be free. At least, since Elise just came out, I would like to try her late November, see?
a new champion always come on the second/third week of his/her release

hwiest1998

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihealy View Post
a new champion always come on the second/third week of his/her release
Jayce and Zyra didn't make to free week for quite some time after their releases. Varus also came out almost 4 weeks after his release. (only know these 3 because i really wanted to play them right away)

Droogslayer

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Seraph View Post
Lately, I have been disappointed with the free champions. I know you guys are trying to keep the champs balanced, and I am not complaining about that. What I am complaining about, is that when am I going to play some of the new champs? Rengar came free once, and so did Syndra, but what about Zyra? Jayce? I wanted to spend my RP on them, but I wanted to try them first to see if I liked them. I waited about three weeks, then I just spent it on other champs. A suggestion. I know you guys are trying to keep the new champs from being free first week, but I would like to see the champs within the first month of coming out to be free. At least, since Elise just came out, I would like to try her late November, see?
Pretty sure that you can try them without buying them on the official client. I mean, they have a Public Beta Environment where you can try just about everything in the game.

Murc VonSplinter

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
Personally I understand the repeats such as Ashe, yi, annie, ect. They're easy to play and have quite some utility. Though I do agree with one of the previous posters that it gets a tad tiring, especially since those champions are so cheap that most players get them first anyway and can get them super-fast.

Personally I'd like champions who are up for debate on buffs/nerfs to be among the free champions. Aka: Darius, Evelynn, Jayce, Zyra, ect ect. Riot could have a much larger sample for whether the buff/nerf is needed plus when they are free to play, everyone will see them enough that there will be much more understanding and there will be very few questions of "why did that happen?" because most if not all of the community will have a fresh memory of the need for such changes.

Also I'd personally like to see some of the champs that are more....rare in terms of being seen. Evelynn, Nidalee, Poppy, Sion. ((these are just in my experience, I don't play ranked ((all the QQ)) so I'm not sure if they see these champions more often or not))

Lastly, it might be nice to see some theme in the free to plays around the holidays. Around Christmas perhaps we see more arctic champions such as Anivia, Nunu, Tryndamere, Ashe. Halloween could hold more spooky champions such as Maokai, Hecarim, and the like. Around father's day we could see Heimerdinger and yorick and Ziggs, who bring their "kids" to work. While on the flip side Mother's day could bring in champs like Elise, Zyra, or Anivia((egg joke)).

Monogue

10-30-2012

I got to use Olaf and Riven. Loved it.

As a new player I knew which champions to go for in the future. (:

Thanks for this opportunity. (:

Ionian Master24

10-31-2012

I think you guys should put more 6300 champs within the rotation. The more 6300 champs you have, the more people are going to test them and pay for them. Its win-win for everyone. They get to test out champs and you guys get free cash.

Li7hium oOo

10-31-2012

I'm sure someone must have mentioned this already but I have to do it again because apparently you haven't read it yet.

Why do you keep adding alistar and tristana to the champion rotation? I mean, they are the only champions you can actually get for free as you start playing this game so why do you have to waste 1 or 2 slots with those?

If someone doesn't have them already is because they don't want them anyway.

Shacoh

10-31-2012

In my mind new champions should not be free on week of release.
I have 3 reasons why Riot should not put champions out week of release.
1. People would be arguing and raging over who plays the champion and would be angry if they didn't get to play the champion.
2. People willing to buy and spend RP on these champions may not be willing to do so if they don't like the champion as much as they expected. IE: Riot would not be making as much money. (Which they deserve. )
3. The champion would be way overused in-game.

Also for all those people who think the same would happen in following weeks:
-I think peoples excitement would ware down in the week.
-People would understand how the champion is played from different resources and may not be as excited to play the champion.
-If people are not as excited to play the champion it will not be as over played.

choiced

10-31-2012

I love the rotation system but I would like to know when one of my allies is playing a free champion or if they actually own it so that I know what I should expect from that player. I was just thinking it would be nice if you could put the little free icon on the character's portrait in the character selection screen if an ally picks a free champ that they do not own. That way we could tell if he/she owns the champion or not. Thanks ^_^

DragonSlayer5836

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
I think champions should be free first week, and why are they saying they are simple.
Galio has been free twice this month yet he is one of the hardest champs in the league. For example.I have been waiting for a champ for almost 3 months for a champ. Just go's to describe why they say they will "eventually" be free. Even if it's only 1 or 2 days, which probably wouldn't happen, it still gives summoners a try whether they should save up and buy them or give up on them and go for another champ.