How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aphotic Raven

01-19-2011

Champs are not free the week they come out because paying customers want a chance to play them.

If you save your IP you can still play them for free right away.

I have payed for about 1/3 of my champs with RP and it would drive me nuts if all the nubs were instapicking the new hero every single game after I'd payed for it.

mateush

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-19-2011

Nice.. Thanks 4 Information ;d

Wraethade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
I think this is a stupid post... its okey that the game is free but doesnt mean they cant make money with it, the reason why they arent free is cuz they need to sell

Nethird

01-19-2011

geez this thread was long. finally i got to the last post.

IMO, New champs shouldnt be free the week they are released. Why? A couple of reasons actually, which have been extensively discussed along the thread but I would like to put toghether:
- If you are paying, you want to be able to play with the champ you paid for. Period. Otherwise why would you be paying? If new champios become free as they are released, ALL (and I know I may be exagerating, but what the heck) noobs will be picking that champ. Why? Because it's new, and they dont know how to play any champ anyways, so what do they care?
- Balance. Simple as that. If you have to pay for it, and you are playing a FREE game, chances are you are playing it because you don't want/can/would pay for it. Making the new hero pay-to-play ensures that only "some" people will be using it. And I know you all must be like "wtf dude? did you fall on your head when you were a baby?" but, hey, what is more balanced: ALL teams having the new champ thus making very difficult to determine whether or not it is op? or just one team having the new champ, playtesting it against all different strategies and team combinations to actually provide some feedback on how op it is, allowing Riot to nerf it if needed?

and just not to extend too much on this, last but not least:

- Riot wont pay their bills with your Influence Points. Want to play the new champ? Pay for it. Period. I think it is sufficient enough that they will eventually let you play it for free or even unlock it with IP.

By this point you all may think I have already paid for my Crocomaw (face it, it has a very pokemon-ish look), but you know what? I havent. I dont even think I am ever going to spend IP on it. But that is just me.

So, that was just 1 cent of the 2.

About the Champ Rotation "scheme-or-what-you-may-call-it" I agree with those of you who support the random pick. You dont need the list prior to the rotation. Want to know who will be in this week? Wait until day 1.
What i think could be a really interesting option though is a "vote" system to add one or two champs of the list that share similar attributes, ie: vote: "this-tank" or "this-other-tank" and such. Not for all the champs, just for some. That could also provide Riot feedback on what champs are not wanted (maybe because they got too nerfed, like Morde :P ).

That would be it. My 2 cents on the subject.

Jewlluminati

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
Honestly I think it'd be best to provide a sure way for some of the more desirable, harder champions. I want to know when I can try Irelia, and based on my experience with her determine whether to buy Renkenton or not.

AdventHawk7

01-19-2011

I believe that following upon releasing a new patch concerning certain champions like if you nerf some then they should be displayed as free for the week so ppl can try to learn them and in most cases will know if they want to buy them, also, upon releasing new champions, I believe you should make the new champions free to play when you release them, so ppl will kno wether they want to buy it. I waited like 1 or 2 weeks after cait was released to finally be able to test her first to see if I wanted to buy her, and, alot of ppl were complaining about her, which was why i didnt wanna jump in and feel like I wasted my points i had earned, the thing here is basically, this week she is free, and my first game with her went pretty good I like her so far, so I may consider buying her if I'm not tempted to buy Renekton first.

Nethird

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventHawk7 View Post
I believe that following upon releasing a new patch concerning certain champions like if you nerf some then they should be displayed as free for the week so ppl can try to learn them and in most cases will know if they want to buy them, also, upon releasing new champions, I believe you should make the new champions free to play when you release them, so ppl will kno wether they want to buy it. I waited like 1 or 2 weeks after cait was released to finally be able to test her first to see if I wanted to buy her, and, alot of ppl were complaining about her, which was why i didnt wanna jump in and feel like I wasted my points i had earned, the thing here is basically, this week she is free, and my first game with her went pretty good I like her so far, so I may consider buying her if I'm not tempted to buy Renekton first.
Man, c'mon... IP are earned over time... you dont even have to win a match to earn IP.

The way I see it, a lot of people here is whining about champs not being free as they are released because "other players will be able to play it before I can".
That is not only childish but also stupid. How long have you all know that a new champ was on the way? Weren't you able to save enogh IP to buy it upon release? I mean... Riot announced the new champ with more than enough time. Oh, wait, you thought it would be free upon release so you spent all your IPs? or is it that you didnt save enough? If you want to play New Champs as they are released, dont be a mule and start saving IPs.

And please, stop whining about "new champions not being free the week they are released" that only makes you all look noober and cheaper (yes. you are cheap *******s. you are playing one of the only FREE games out there that is worth playing, and you have the guts to complain about content not being free "soon enough" to satisfy your whims)

AdventHawk7

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethird View Post
Man, c'mon... IP are earned over time... you dont even have to win a match to earn IP.

The way I see it, a lot of people here is whining about champs not being free as they are released because "other players will be able to play it before I can".
That is not only childish but also stupid. How long have you all know that a new champ was on the way? Weren't you able to save enogh IP to buy it upon release? I mean... Riot announced the new champ with more than enough time. Oh, wait, you thought it would be free upon release so you spent all your IPs? or is it that you didnt save enough? If you want to play New Champs as they are released, dont be a mule and start saving IPs.

And please, stop whining about "new champions not being free the week they are released" that only makes you all look noober and cheaper (yes. you are cheap *******s. you are playing one of the only FREE games out there that is worth playing, and you have the guts to complain about content not being free "soon enough" to satisfy your whims)
I didn't even bother reading your whole thing because it is a completely invalid and pointless argument, you seemed to think I was crying about something completely irrelevent to my post, so I will not justify your statement with either a defensive nor offensive reply.

I will how-ever respond in a way maybe you'll understand better, if not, that's your problem for being ignorant as an incoherent and illiterate fool, I had only meant in my early post that they could make a new champion free upon their release for maybe a day or for the week it come's out, this way people can check the new champion out before buying it so they will know wether they want that champion or not. I waited for Caitlyn to be free for a week because there were so many QQ post's saying she was pointless etc. And since she is free this week my first game using her I found her to be ok, so I may buy her. Unless I either feel like leaning more towards Renekton or Cassiopea, I do like Cassiopea alot so it depend's.

And btw, I don't sit here all day everyday keeping up with all new information as they are released, so no, I did not know they were coming out with a new champion upon patching content, so your statement about that is irrelevant and invalid.I do have enough IP saved for alot of thing's. But I also don't just buy whatever I see, I'm only buying the champions I find I can do ok in, such as last week I've wanted to check out Nidalee for forever and she finally became free so I could test her out, and I loved playing as Nidalee, so I bought her. Same for Heimerdinger, I bought him as well.

So don't go around the forums spitting out garbage, you only made yourself look like a moron with your nerdrage rant about my earlier post. Again, I don't spent every waking second on LoL, I spend maybe an hour or two for a couple of game's, and that's it for the day, some people DO have lives outside the internet, I spend mine with my wife, kids, and my job so i can support them. So please don't speak if you don't even know who you're speaking to on the other side of the conversation and think you're the one in the right.

Nethird

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventHawk7 View Post
I didn't even bother reading your whole thing because it is a completely invalid and pointless argument, you seemed to think I was crying about something completely irrelevent to my post, so I will not justify your statement with either a defensive nor offensive reply.

I will how-ever respond in a way maybe you'll understand better, if not, that's your problem for being ignorant as an incoherent and illiterate fool, I had only meant in my early post that they could make a new champion free upon their release for maybe a day or for the week it come's out, this way people can check the new champion out before buying it so they will know wether they want that champion or not. I waited for Caitlyn to be free for a week because there were so many QQ post's saying she was pointless etc. And since she is free this week my first game using her I found her to be ok, so I may buy her. Unless I either feel like leaning more towards Renekton or Cassiopea, I do like Cassiopea alot so it depend's.

And btw, I don't sit here all day everyday keeping up with all new information as they are released, so no, I did not know they were coming out with a new champion upon patching content, so your statement about that is irrelevant and invalid.I do have enough IP saved for alot of thing's. But I also don't just buy whatever I see, I'm only buying the champions I find I can do ok in, such as last week I've wanted to check out Nidalee for forever and she finally became free so I could test her out, and I loved playing as Nidalee, so I bought her. Same for Heimerdinger, I bought him as well.

So don't go around the forums spitting out garbage, you only made yourself look like a moron with your nerdrage rant about my earlier post. Again, I don't spent every waking second on LoL, I spend maybe an hour or two for a couple of game's, and that's it for the day, some people DO have lives outside the internet, I spend mine with my wife, kids, and my job so i can support them. So please don't speak if you don't even know who you're speaking to on the other side of the conversation and think you're the one in the right.
I was about to split this into several quotes, but I just got too lazy.

1st) The only statement that was directed to your post was the first (Ip are earned over time... you dont even have to win a match). The rest was addressed to all of those who are crying because croconaw is not free.
2nd) Dude... the Annouce was on the LoL launcher.... I mean you cant really miss that, can you?
3rd) About the last paragraph: you know what? I also have a son, a wife and a job. As a matter of fact, I work 10 to 12 hours a day, and have 1 hour from home to work, that makes 14 hours, so how long do you think I play each time? I dont even care if you answer that or not.
4th) Let me ask you something: Were you complaining about the new champ not being free the week of its release? I dont care the reasons. If you were complaining you just were complaining. if you dont, then you dont. If it fits you then wear it (i dont even know if it is said that way but it illustrates a point): I was "talking" to all of those that start crying because croconaw (yep, I will keep calling it croconaw, or feraligator in the worst case) was not free the week of its release. IMO, it was OK it is not free. not even for a minute. Let me quote myself:
RIOT wont pay their bills with your IP. Do you want to play the new champ? Pay for it.

And that "i dont want to spend my "hard" earned ips on champs i dont know If I will like" thing is.. well.. like i said: IP are earned over time. If you dont play alot anyways, then what point does it have to be able to play the new champ now or in 4 weeks? It is irrelevant.

Oh, and btw, I am not a native english speaking guy as you may have already figured out, so keep your "illiterate" **** for someone else. At least I know how to communicate in your language.

I wont post on this thread anymore since I have said all I wanted to say about it.

Tynafel

01-19-2011

On the subject of whether or not Champions should be free-to-play the week they're released, I have to agree with Nethird on it, you don't entirely NEED to wait for a playing experience with the character to tell if he/she is good to be honest, I bought alot of my character's based on what I saw, I saw Udyr completely single handedly own my team, so I bought him, surprise surprise, I was good with him too, lol. And then I noticed that Malphite could totally eat you early game and take a lane to himself while another player jungles and is right up there with Rammus for laughing at the minuscule amounts of damage he recieves. And just to say again what Nethird had been going on about earlier in the thread, it really is a junky experience to have a bunch of new players play that new character, when Irelia came out I thought she was really really bad because I never saw a good Irelia until later on following her release, so I never really test-played her. I also see where Advent was going, but all in all I guess it`s a situational thing.