How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

D3STROYR

09-13-2012

i wanna be a riot champ designer

Tropots82

09-13-2012

i'ld be interested in seeing some unplayed champions more often on the rotation. Talon doesnt see a lot of normal play until he hit rotation as well as Trundle see zero to none play and hasnt been on the rotation in 4 to 5 months (you dont have that many champions). I like trying different things out. especially when i dont see them that often.

Aidjin

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia Walrus View Post
So there's no pattern to it? It's all completely random?

I resent Riot every day a little more.
Seriously guy if u resent Riot, why are you playing their game? If the game that you enjoy fills you with resentment, then i suggest you take a long look in the mirror and make some changes.

Anilia

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graedow View Post
Is it possible to create a simple programm or something that chooses the champions random?

If every week the setup would be like this (or something like this):
Mage: 2
Tank: 2
Melee dps: 3
Support: 1
Ranged dps: 2

It could check for new champions first, which will be free that week and choose random from all the champions that are left.

Because I don't think it will be nice to have a pattern in which champions that will be available that week, I think that gets boring, and this way you'll have a balanced line-up every week without getting boring.

Just a thought..

-Graedow
I was thinking about the same, but a little different match-up
1 Mage (non-support)
1 Tank
1 Melee Carry
1 Ranged Carry
1 Support
1 Hybrid Character
1 Easy-to-Play Character (Likely to be Recommended)
1 Hard-To-Play Character (High Difficulty)
That all adds up to 8 different characters. The other two (assuming there is ten every week) are completely random, or picked to add synergy to teams if the others aren't matching up too well. In this way, we'd get a lot of different choices, an easy character to play for newer players, harder ones for players who want a challenge, and everything in between for the others. They could even consider getting 1 Jungler per week as well, getting the choices up to 9, but then there may be less chance for getting a synergetic team with only 1 character to pull things together again.

Mecha Daxter

09-15-2012

I want to try shaco...

AlphariusRising

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Daxter View Post
I want to try shaco...
Oh god free week Shaco.

I can see the QQing already.

MCS94

09-15-2012

personally, id like to see Ahri in a rotation

Crolex

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS94 View Post
personally, id like to see Ahri in a rotation
was on it like 1-2 weeks ago....

Killerelf03

09-16-2012

Id love to see a Skarner on rotation soon, Getting sick of having to use Shaco.

Golden007

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris

-------------------------------------
It would be sweet if there was some type of voting system. i.e. In each category summoners can vote for which tank(s) we want to see or assassins and so forth.

Thanks for all the great work RiotGames!