How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkerNear

07-09-2012

Please Malzahar or Lee Sin from next week!.
Please... T-T

Love Ahrii

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
riot this week free champ is too OP
4 stun hero
please reconsider for the next Free Champion Rotation

PoyzenGirl

07-09-2012

pleassssssssse do lulu one week pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

M4YChris

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

can we chose some champions
That woud be really cool

PrNi

07-10-2012

u should make vote for 1 champion or something

SuperBubblesMan

07-10-2012

0.o

stickym3ss

07-10-2012

Quote:
If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.
i feel this must be a frequently asked question that i have yet to find an answer to. it would appear that you guys are actually avoiding it altogether. why will you not give us a ranked 3v3 que

Blissful Madness

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
The reason i believe they do not is simply to give those who are willing to spend the money an opportunity to be one of the first players to use them in game. If everyone had the champion then what would be fun about it since your newly purchased champ is auto picked every game and everytime someone doesnt get him they rage quit in the pre-game lobby (as it is now without them bieng made free the week of.) Now you could argue that you could wait to buy them till after that week but it still wouldn't prevent people from leaving queue because thats the champ they wanted to play. I find it to be best as is, then the deals they offer are worth buying. ( there would probably be a loss in sales during that first week as well.) sorry if this doesn't sound right =P. if you want me to attempt to better elaborate feel free to message me.

strongman1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

i think that we need to c different champions more often. Like some champs get put in free week once every three weeks E.G Sion ( second time last 3 weeks) while others E.G kogmaw and shyvana, your almost lucky to get free once a yr., id like to c every champ get picked b4 you use the same champ again for more variety but like never have a pattern with it

SorionHex

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
Well that may have been the past. But fact of the matter now is PBE is a thing. You can try new champs, items, and skins there.