How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ungodlydeath

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstabbin View Post
i would like to see more 6300 heroes free to play, just so that people can try them out before spending so much on them. maoki to be specific.
i agree with this as it does take a long time to build up IP for these champs also there may be less worry if champs from previous seasons drop in IP price more often. we have only had four drop so far this year. (miss fortune, irelia, malzahar and i cant remember the last one but you get my point)

SasakitheCouncil

06-25-2012

Oh look, it's Caitlyn.

FlameArrow

Recruiter

06-25-2012

put volibear free i want to play him

knjkiller619

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameArrow View Post
put volibear free i want to play him
He was free to play a couple weeks ago :3 sry u missed it

Strill

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Good suggestions Giggz (and welcome to the US forums). However, some of the Champions have positive or negative synergies across types. For instance, if we made Twitch and Shaco free the same week, it would be stealth-city. Or what about Ryze, Morgana, Blitzcrank and Malphite - that would be stun-ville (but they're all different types). That could happen coincidentally if we used lists of types, so I like the personally-tweaked rotations rather than automatic (and then we can listen to player requests). It also ensures that we have enough easy Champions in the rotations - our #1 goal.

- RiotChris
Ryze doesn't have a stun...

GG Riot has no idea how their own game works.

NotYourDunk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackalMan View Post
I personaly think that the weekly free champion rotation should regularly be rotated as the name implies, weekly. And as posted above, new champs should be rotated in the week they're released. I'm thinking rotate schedule should start Thursday night/Friday morning. That way the new rotation starts on the high traffic time , at least I'd think, of Friday - Sunday. That way you get the champ feedback fresh for the next work week. Also, since patch/content drops can be Tuesday or Wednesday and you can use that for marketing purposes: " Purchase the new champ with IP or RP and access them before they're rotated in!". Theres my 2 cents
I like that the rotation is completely random and a smart move by riot if we had a special day for the rotation then the severs would get packed on those days. It's a better idea to make it random so that players play frequently to see if the champs are free. (for those who don't look at the website)

ShoKuzuna

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strill View Post

GG Strill, you don't know how this game works either. Ryze got a snare, rune prison, FYI. Acts as a stun, never the less long range champion can still "act" and do some skills, it's not fully a stun, but save your comments next time. : )

Thanks Riot for this week, though you should add more casters to the rotation.

Also some HIGH IP champions that are barely used on teams like Viktor, Nidalee, maybe even Akali would be a good add on. Thanks though

NotYourDunk

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strill View Post

Why would you troll the producers of the game. I think they are fully aware of how the game "works" considering that they spend a lot of time to make it better for us ungrateful players.

Gtfo Im Slow

06-25-2012

Can you put Talon for the champion rotation next week? He used to be my favourite champion when he was free about 5 weeks ago.

steeledminer

06-25-2012

I do like how the champion rotation is, however I have a couple complaints:

1. I know that you have it designed to allow simpler champions to be up more frequently, but I've noticed quite a few champions (main one being Akali) showing up alot less frequently than others. Now, forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't even think Akali has been Free to Play since I joined (Around the Xerath Patch), and so when I wanted to play her I had to go completely on blind luck that I would like her. This has also happened with a few other champions, such as Karma and Yorick. Would it be possible that once you hit your 100th champ that you can maybe include one other champion per rotation?

2. Going alongside the same complaint above, I notice that a few champions become Free to Play every second week or so, and it gets very tedious knowing that "Great... I will have to see THAT champion alot again this week..." and starts lacking in diversity. Maybe release another "Simple" champion that can remedy this? Another suggestion is simply have less "simple" champs per week (even by one) than there is now.

Other than those couple beefs, I think this is a great way to keep champion cycles fresh.