How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cityzen

01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herborist View Post
So there's no pattern to it? It's all completely random?

I resent Riot every day a little more.
Just so you, and others know:
It isn't _random_ if there are factors contributing to the choices made. There are 3 factors in the decision making process, therefore it's not even psuedo-random.

JimboAinzley

01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus
Think about ALL the people wanting to try out the new champion for free in EVERY game the day they come out. There would be way too much queue dodging, it would most likely be impossible to play. :/

Zidaryn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2011

Randomness is good. That way you don't get the same teams of champions coming out at the same time together. And they don't have to have the putting the new champ up the next week in stone, they just do it so often why bother the semantics.

Grenadilla

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2011

Maybe this was asked alot,

But Why does Ashe and Zilean have to take up spaces on the free charts
They always seem to be free and it really is a downer seeing that 2 spots already have been taken by the champion (:

Inb4Jordan

01-11-2011

Easy way to avoid queue dodging would be to add a system where only way to get the new champion would be to select random? that way it's a % chance you get him, if not you get a random champ, it's a fair shot, and it'd make everyone happy, having the chance to TRY and get to play the champion .

Miss

01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inb4Jordan View Post
Easy way to avoid queue dodging would be to add a system where only way to get the new champion would be to select random? that way it's a % chance you get him, if not you get a random champ, it's a fair shot, and it'd make everyone happy, having the chance to TRY and get to play the champion .
That would upset a lot of people if they random'd and didn't get the new champion lol. I think having the first few weeks of the champions release where if people really want to try the new champion right away they can buy her, or they can wait until she is rotated in the free cycles is the perfect setup right now.

Hobden

01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoftheorder View Post
So far I believe every new champion has been rotated in the week of their release; I will be surprised to see if/when this fails to occur, unless more than 10 champions are released (in some kind of Great Week of Awesome.) Making the new champion free entices people to want them in the future (if they like how the character plays), and perhaps more importantly (except from a marketing standpoint), encourages enough play of the character to ensure a great deal of statistical data for quick balancing following their introduction. I hope that barring unusual circumstances, new characters are always free for a week (I could see keeping them in for their first 2 weeks making sense even.)

Beyond that, I think balance (across roles/types of champions rotated in a given week), variety, and relative uniformity (no champion should go for an exceptionally long time w/o being available relative to others) are all that really matters. While it's true that the free champions of a given week are most likely to be played by those new to the champions, and thus in some cases, more likely to feed, there is no where else for players to learn those champions, so I think the only thing to do here is trust to the matchmaking system to work out reasonable teams more or less, and trust to individuals to make balanced choices of characters within the lobby.
galio took like 2 months before his first free week.

Shamanizm

01-12-2011

Is it possible to make Twitch and Olaf free??? Twitch was free for only 4 times!!

ViciousDrake

01-12-2011

hey can you guys put twitch please i really want to use him

a4mad

01-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamanizm View Post
Is it possible to make Twitch and Olaf free??? Twitch was free for only 4 times!!
olaf was free like 2 weeks ago
and twitch should NEVER be free. oh god it was horrible on free champ weekend, and now that he has been nerfed to oblivian, its gonna be worse.