How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krityk

03-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
ye and also gives ppol who wana buy the new champs before they buy a chance to try them out!!

Krityk

03-28-2012

actually a good champ rotation this week im buying cait shes pro gana try out the other before i buy any

GDS Karma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2012

can you make Brand, and/or yorick free next week want to buy 1 dont know what 1

MOG KUPOOO

03-29-2012

Lulu what d=

Shonoun

03-29-2012

They say they "give new players some simple champions to play", but you guys don't get 10 new players per day... what's the point of putting in alot of 450 IP champions if most of the people playing LoL already have a reasonable amount of champions...

Cyborgt

03-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonoun View Post
They say they "give new players some simple champions to play", but you guys don't get 10 new players per day... what's the point of putting in alot of 450 IP champions if most of the people playing LoL already have a reasonable amount of champions...
Well i'm quite sure that just like myself you have no idea how many new players they get or how frequently they get them but that really has nothing to do with why the free champions would cater to new LoL players. It's really quite obvious, the friendlier the new player environment the more encouraging it is for those that start playing LoL for the first time to continue playing it. Someone that makes an account, plays 2 games, gets discouraged by the ridiculous number of games they'd have to play to get any of the 6300 champs on the free rotation that they liked, and quits doesn't benefit Riot at all. If they can get that person to play for the next several months by providing them with a good selection of cheap and enjoyable champions then the chances they will start investing actual money into the game to afford the more expensive champions or even grab skins for their favorite cheap champion start to go up significantly.

That's also part of what I believe their recent free RP initiative is all about and why they've been so slow in putting together any more of what they claimed would be an extensive rewards program. They bait you with just barely too little to even buy a 6300 champion that's on sale to encourage you to spend a little bit more to make use of what they gave you for free. I don't have to like it but I can't deny it's just good business.

Yordlepwn

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.
You forgot something! "allways have Ashe or Cait avalible."

KingsTea

04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonoun View Post
I'm certain LoL has much more than ten new players per day..

Bootycakez

Recruiter

04-02-2012

I love having new champions free every week and I also like having champions of varying difficulty and type, the only part that I am confused about is how player feedback is taken into account. I've noticed a lot of people in this thread complain about the fact that they see a lot of the same champs in the rotation frequently. Is this because those champions are popular and players give feedback saying they want to see them back again just so they don't have to buy them? I'm not saying that Riot should ignore feedback from players but I am wondering if players are kind of taking advantage of that to ask for the same champs just so they can keep playing them.

UkyoSonoda

04-02-2012

This week needs to be all yordle champ rotation for The Great Hunt.