How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maniacal Man

03-26-2012

I get it. Riot doesn't put new champs in rotation the first week they are sold because the art work and showcase show them to be OP and awesome. A lot of people get ramped up and buy it. The Op'ness of the champ spreads around and more people purchase it and then the money comes in. A week later the champ is nerfed and everyone slowly forgets about it. Obviously this doesnt occur everytime. Just my theory. Excellent marketing to me. Besides the only people who complain are the ones who get owned haha

Akira Desmondes

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Pheonix View Post
Olaf has not been free since September.

And i fail to see why Katarina and Miss Fortune (two champs viewed as pretty underpowered in general) get constant free weeks.
Mf is pretty easy to use so I suppose she is allowed to be there, I mean, what better way to learn about a ranged champ than with a completely moderate one? Remember some champs let you learn a lot about your role, MF is a good example. (Vayne lots of dmg but low range, Cayt even more squishiness but more range, Kog complex AD ranged/cc skills that need a lot of aim)
Kat is a recommended one not only because its learning curve starts super easy but because it is a really old champ that is constantly seen by newbies on the trailers and start screen.

The fact they are seen as underpowered means a lot of people don't have the skill to manage them.

Olaf can be tanky, AD and both can be in the jungle, so I believe there is not a lot of feedback on this type of champions from new summoners who are the ones that give constant feedback

Not an expert or anything, just MHO about your post.

And a little suggestion, how about placing new champs on the second week as free? After the specials on their skins are out of sale? I mean, a good way of getting sales without risking the money "lost" in specials. Remember a lot of people will buy her, be like "This is ****!" and they are the ones who speak first about them... so if you let people see the new champ fast, if they care about it, they will either love it or hate it in the free week, so... i think that would work out!

Cyborgt

03-27-2012

Alright, at this rate i'm just going to become too frustrated with LoL to bother continuing to play. Lately i've had several weeks with only 1 champion on the roster I hadn't already had the chance to play (several weeks before that only 3 at a time) and this week there isn't any new champion for me to try. I've only been playing for about 4 months (started either late November or early December, don't remember which) and there are still 21-24 champions i've never had the chance to try in that time. That's about 1/5th-1/4th of their champions that in approximately 4 months of 10 free champions per week have never been free. I just really wish they stuck to goal #3 a little better.

Here's my list of champions that I havn't had the chance to play:
Akali
Anivia
Dr. Mundo
Evelynn
Gragas
Irelia
Karma?
Karthus
Kayle
Kennen
Lux?
Nidalee
Olaf
Poppy
Rumble
Shaco
Tristana
Trundle
Twisted Fate
Twitch??
Udyr
Xin Zhao
Yorick

The ones with ?s are champions i'm not entirely certain weren't free in the time i've played (for some reason or other i get the impression they may have been but can't remember ever playing them or that i own them like Lux so wouldn't have noticed them being free.) Obviously there's also Lulu but I didn't bother to include her since she's brand new and will most likely be free next week. I'd love to see any of these champions appear in the free rotation so I can actually make an informed decision on whether I want to own them.

Demure

Recruiter

03-27-2012

When it comes to newly released champs, the general trend has been that they go on sale 2-3 weeks after their debut date. I'm sure Lulu will appear on free week soon enough.

BlackLordDragonX

03-27-2012

stop bumping this thread.This only explains how free champs are picked.No one looks at it and posting doesnt make anything other than bump a useless thread

Trollofpunk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-27-2012

Why don't you put hardest champions for the sumonners between level 20 and 30 and easiest champions for sumonners level 19 and less?? Because it becomes annoying to always have the same champions free when I (and surelly other people) want to try some champions before to buy them. It's doing between 2 and 4 months I always had only 2 or 3 champs that i did not have in the champions that were free. Please can you apply my sugestion.

Thanks a lot to answer me please.

Kyu Ryu

03-27-2012

With the exception to what was stated below, I'd like to see weekly champions be completely random. Its kind of ridicolous how some champions haven't been free in months while in the same time period others have been free 3-5 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demure View Post
When it comes to newly released champs, the general trend has been that they go on sale 2-3 weeks after their debut date. I'm sure Lulu will appear on free week soon enough.

Tobrak Ragnos

03-27-2012

Since the Great Hunt is going on right now, I think the rotation should be all yordles.

Reason

03-27-2012

Why is Caitlyn always free? I don't understand -_-

Bruisey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt View Post
Alright, at this rate i'm just going to become too frustrated with LoL to bother continuing to play.
As far as your long list, some of them have been free.

Considering there are 94 champions, excluding Lulu, and that of those 94 only 20 of them haven't been free since December 6th (You can check that on the champion rotation history.) that's honestly quite an achievement for a F2P game.

Not to mention several of the ones you listed are considered 'high skill' champs, and those are more rare in the lineups for good reason.

Also. Tristana is a free give away champ(Facebook). Pretty much why she's almost never on rotation anymore. It's a waste of space. Like Alistar (Youtube). As far as Kayle not being on rotation much, well, you missed out, but most everyone got her for free at the end of Season One. True, there's nothing you can do about that, but it's likely why she's not on.